Superman Man of Steel - different method for raised texture

So I decided that I wanted to make MOS suits for my two sons for Halloween this year. After Iron Man last year I figure this should be a breeze. I was studying up on the texture and different methods for getting it (dye sub print, puff paint, latex) and I came up with a different one of my own. I decided to try cutting out the pattern in heat transfer flock and pressing it onto the fabric.

A few caveats. You can't heat press spandex. For this material you can only press onto 100% cotton, 100% polyester, or cotton/poly blends. So I hope that I'm able to find a fabric with the right amount of stretch to do the job. Right now I tested with a 100% cotton blue t-shirt.

Caveat #2, it's not glossy. I don't know if there's anyway to add a "shine" to fabric like a clear coat or somesuch.

Caveat #3, limited color selection. Peacock Blue (bleh), Blue, and Dark Blue. For this test I'm using Blue on a navy blue t-shirt. I supposed I could also use dark blue on a royal blue fabric.

But the stuff is pretty thick, 14mil. So I think the layer height is pretty good.

So... here's my pattern:

mospattern.jpg

And here's the results

MOSPatternTest1.jpg

MOSPattternTest2.jpeg

The camera didn't capture the true colors, imagine royal blue on navy blue. Each row is 3/8" tall.

So that's it. My plan is to get some fabric, cut out a pattern for a unitard, then press on the texture pattern, then have the wife sew it up. Other details will be glued on, possibly out of foam. I may 3D print the shield, we'll see.

This is an interesting approach. If you have access to a heat press, you could also try heat press vinyl. That might give more shine than the flocking.

Nice approach :)
One question : do you still have the elasticity of the principal fabric ? (I'm looking for an alternative to puff paint too)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back