Studio Scale BOP

morsesith21

Sr Member
Ok so with my current shuttle project on hold I decided to try and build a Bird of Prey from scratch. Why? Because I have always wanted to, but have just been afraid of it. As I only have a couple completed scratch builds under my belt, I am still very much a rookie at modeling so this build will be more of an experiment just to see if I can do it. So Here we go. I have been basing the build from pictures of the studio model as well as reference from Steve's amazing build.

With about two weeks into the project, I have worked out the body frame and began playing with some detail. The detail is not accurate because like I said, this is an experiment.
IMG_4041.JPGIMG_4040.JPGIMG_4042.JPGIMG_4043.JPGIMG_4044.JPGIMG_4046.JPGIMG_4047.JPG

Looks like you're off to a great start. Based on your other scratch builds, I'm sure this one will turn out fantastic. I'll be looking forward to more updates.

Though the model is studio scale I'm not putting 100% into the accuracy. I know those guys on the studio scale forum put their hearts into making the models as close to the originals as possible. I just dont think it belongs. Thanks for your interest though.

Though the model is studio scale I'm not putting 100% into the accuracy. I know those guys on the studio scale forum put their hearts into making the models as close to the originals as possible. I just dont think it belongs. Thanks for your interest though.

There is a difference between "studio scale" and "studio accurate". (And I'm sure there is different degrees under that, by using the same kit parts of the same vintage kit used...).
But I know where you're coming from. For me, close enough is good enough. For the original builders, they used whatever was at hand in terms of greeblies, so why shouldn't a builder put the same personality into his replica?

TazMan2000

That's true, but I just don't see myself in the same category as those guys yet. anyways, I had to work so just a small update today.

IMG_4055.JPGIMG_4049.JPG

Just beginning work on the bridge neck. It's just kinda roughed in. The slave one piece is not permanent because it is not complete. Just more or less getting an idea.
IMG_4059.JPGIMG_4061.JPGIMG_4060.JPGIMG_4065.JPGIMG_4066.JPGIMG_4068.JPG

another small update. Here I am beginning to mess with some of the details as well as the paint. This ship looks to me like it was put together in pieces because it looks dingy, so I started painting it in pieces. Here is the detailing on the underside of the main body section. Both right and left sides to show how it started then ended.
IMG_4076.JPGIMG_4077.JPGIMG_4069.JPG
And here is the roof of the main body.
IMG_4080.JPGIMG_4083.JPG

Looks great so far, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this one! Subscribed. I have the greatest of respect for those who can scratch build - I wouldn't know where to start!

I did a little work on the bridge neck. As well as messing some more with paint ideas. The paneling on the body is not accurate and I have been toying with the idea of correcting it, but as I said its just an experimental model so I think I will just leave it.
IMG_4121.JPGIMG_4124.JPGIMG_4126.JPGIMG_4127.JPGIMG_4135.JPGIMG_4136.JPGIMG_4141.JPG

Don't mind the panel lines that much. Every bridge was customised, and when they repaired the ship some things could have been changed.
And it looks good.

I agree with MKWJTC on the panel lines. I’m not going to pull up pictures of the studio model and start comparing every detail. It’s clear that this is a BOP. Keep working your magic and build something that you are proud of. You’ve already have shown us that you’ve got the talent to make this into a beauty.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back