Strongest Glue for Bonding 2 Pieces of Resin?

NSStudios

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sup guys! I just had a quick question. I will soon be making some Book of the Dead/Book of the Living props from The Mummy and I am a little confused about what glue I should use to bond pieces. Super glue? A two part epoxy? Maybe even a tiny bit of more resin? Whatever is the strongest, I would love to know. Thanks guys!

How big are the pieces? I've never had a problem just using super glue, but I'm talking about on models, so nothing that big. Also if you pin the pieces together as well it helps. What I mean is just drill a hole in each part and use a ridged nail or a skinny screw (cut the heads off of them so it's a pin) and then glue the piece and pins.

I swear by Duro brand super glue. I've held back 5 pound steel rods with it on my projects. It's never failed me yet. It also dries fully within an hour, so it's perfect for quick projects.

The strongest is likely acrylic adhesive. Like epoxy but better bond strength on difficult to bond surfaces. This is not dental acrylic or solvent glue (Weld-on), this is a high strength 2 part adhesive. Cyanoacrylate glues (super glues) are not generally very reliable and not good for long, term on rigid things that may take shock. With any glue, surface prep is MOST IMPORTANT.

The strongest is likely acrylic adhesive. Like epoxy but better bond strength on difficult to bond surfaces. This is not dental acrylic or solvent glue (Weld-on), this is a high strength 2 part adhesive. Cyanoacrylate glues (super glues) are not generally very reliable and not good for long, term on rigid things that may take shock. With any glue, surface prep is MOST IMPORTANT.
This

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cyanocrylates can crystallize over the years and become brittle. For small projects they would be fine. I really like the Gorilla brand super glue and good ole 5 minute epoxy. This was built with both glues, and at 37.5 inches of resin, yes it's a bit heavy and is doing just fine

Attachments

• 0813171951a.jpg
    0813171951a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
I use 5 min 2 part epoxy glue, but like the other suggestion - pin it with the glue for more shear strength, don't just glue it butt to butt cause that may not be permanent
I use cut parts of metal coat hangers for my pins

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back