Stripping Acrylic Paint

Jargonking

Anyone who uses acrylics, especially the automotive spray variety, will know that once dry there's not much you can do to shift them.
After the paintjob on my Deckard Sedan went pear shaped I was left with no option but to try and strip it.
A quick hunt around the net led me to try using neat Dettol disinfectant (I think it's Pine Sol in the US).I placed the car body in a plastic sandwich box and immersed it in neat Dettol. I then sealed it up and left it for around 3 hours.
I then gave it a vigourous rub with a nylon brush...I wore rubber gloves and safety glasses for this bit...and the bulk of the two colour coats and one primer coat came off.
Another dip in the solution for a few more hours and this is the result.....
P1020862.jpg

P1020863.jpg

The plastic is untouched and what remains of the paint will disappear under the new primer.

Thanks for the tip Jargonking. I've a Space Jockey I've been eyeing with a view to stripping/re-painting - perhaps the dettol is worth considering (though the model is vinyl - not sure if there's any need for extra caution there)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back