STII:TWOK Field Jacket Chest Boxes

Felgacarb

Sr Member
Here's a fairly simple prop I'll be needing for my current costume project. The little box with the arrowhead insignia worn on the jacket in the Wrath of Khan:

Kirk-1.jpg

The actual props were made from band-aid tins- which is great, as it's a pretty inexpensive found item to start with. They are not selling the regular brands in these tins anymore, but the novelty brands (and candy, I believe) still use them. So I was able to pick up a pair containing 'Rainbow Monkey Bandages' - who doesn't need those, anyway?

STII-Box2copy.jpg

The other found items here are $0.69 cent fiber washers from the hardware store, along with self-adhesive rubber feet. The feet had to be cut down a bit. Thin, easy-to-work with sheet aluminum made the raised stripes, and later the arrowhead insignia.

STII-Box6copy.jpg

STII-Box12copy.jpg

A 2" diameter piece of PVC pipe was cut and filed creatively to make the part on the bottom. Finally, I cut slots in the backs for mounting them on the jacket straps, and painted them.

STII-Box21copy.jpg

STII-Box23copy.jpg

Hanging on one of my 'practice pieces':

STII-Box2copy-1.jpg

I may need some dry brushing or sharpie work to make the stripes stand out a bit more...

Now, back to choosing fabrics for the sewing...

Last edited:
For the longest time it was rumored they were made from R/C Airplane gas tanks.

Glad to see it turn out to be something a little more available.

Great job.

The latch in the photo is my first try at scratch building one- I'm not happy with it yet.

It is made out of two 1/2" D-rings, a piece of aluminum tube, a zip tie to hold the rings in place, and a machine screw. From a distance, the overall shape is OK, but none of the details are right.

I'm still looking for a better method to make a bunch of closer ones...

Chest Boxes updated!

I 3D printed the details this time:

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back