Steadi-cam mounted MG42 from Aliens?

I'm watching "Aliens" on AMC right now. Now I've seen tons of Pulse Rifles here, but not a single replica of the gun Lt. Vasquez wields...it's a German MG42 and it's attached to what looks to be a Steadi-cam rig. Anyone ever tackle this?

-Jonaas

Last edited:
I've seen someone doing that on FACTS in Belgium 2 years ago, looked nice, and was scratch-built, (not that it really functioned as a steadicam tough.)

We have a couple of smartgunners that are pretty much finished, and a few more in the works :)
It's a very big build, though, so as you say... Not too common!

I have most of the dressup parts from the dirtbike - All I need's an MG42 and steadicam rig now!
Pfft, what's a few tens of thousands of pounds? ;)

P1010162.jpg

That is a sweet picture. I would love to do a smartgun, but I'm still in the process of building my Pulse Rifle, and the whole steadicam rig is a bit cost prohibitive. Although I have read about some chinese made ones that are somewhat more affordable.

Way cool pic! A pulse rifle is definitely on my future to-do list. Lots of other things in front of it right now, though. I also wondered if anyone had tackled the smartgun, and obviously it has!

Deconstructing a Steadicam is a fun exercise. Spring, cable, pulleys, hinges, and Bob's yer uncle. ;) I had a go at figuring it out long ago, had the essentials on paper but never tried building one.

Do the replicas people have built have functional Steadicam-like arms or are they just passive?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back