Stay away from Action Costumes! Horrible Experience!

supgreg

***Be Warned! Stay Away From Action Costumes!***

I'm here to share my most recent experience from a company that I'll never use again- Action Costumes.

Background- I've made several transactions with them in the past, dating back to 2006. Their quality and customer service have been top notch until this most recent transaction. Being a returning customer, this experience bothers me, and I feel that I should warn people that may be interested in their products. This purchase had to do with their "Golden Edition" Superman replica costume. Yeah, the really expensive one.

Let me be clear, the main person that I have a problem with is the "owner" of the company, Sebastian Molchasky, NOT Sebastian Colombo. The latter, did the research for these costumes and is no longer affiliated with the company.

I ordered this costume on December 16th, 2013. Their advertisements on Ebay claim 30 days until the costume is completed and ready for shipping. Well, that was a joke. I was told the for first time on day 30, that they needed another week...I thought, ok, no problem, it's the Holidays. When did I finally receive the first costume? March 3. That's 3.5 months after ordering. But it doesn't end there...

Now, I did make a few small custom requests, none that should have added more time. For example, I wanted black cape snaps versus gold, hook an eye closures on the belt instead of Velcro, and a slightly different but screen accurate finish on the cape hem.

Sebastian's customer service may seem accommodating at first, but he rarely checks his email. I would go upwards of 2 weeks without hearing a response from him after I would write him emails like, "Where's my costume?" And if I wasn't fast enough to reply right after an email he sent, then I had to wait possibly another week to get information from him. It was very frustrating.

Oh, and here's the product that I received:

IMG_4388.JPGleft emblem hole inside.JPGIMG_4398.JPGbelt loop hole.JPG

Holes in the stitching, and overall poor craftsmanship.

So, like any reasonable person, I contacted him with these pictures and politely said "WTF?" I had never received anything from them that was sub-par. Especially for this price. At first, he claimed that I must have pulled all the stitching apart because my mannequin was too big. He wanted to argue that they had done nothing wrong. Really? Did you see the pics? Well, that's when I started an Ebay claim. That got his attention.

He then contacted me and told me to lift the Ebay claim or he couldn't do anything. He knew that if I lifted it, I would be screwed with no recourse, so I called the Ebay help line. Ebay said absolutely do not lift the claim until it has been resolved, and he had 30 days to get me a replacement. I tried to explain to Ebay that it would take much longer. Heck, it was going to take 2 weeks to ship it back. Ebay said that after 30 days the claim would self-close if I did nothing. So, back to Sebastian again, and I told him I wasn't lifting my claim, and I was going to have Paypal get my money back. Sebastian said he didn't have my money anymore, and he agreed to re-make the entire costume.

So I had to take a leap of faith, and close the Ebay claim and ship the costume back. Sebastian receives the costume on March 22. Guess when I got the replacement? JUNE 28th. Six and a half months, start to finish. You would think he would rush me another suit to make things better? No. Back to a week and a half between emails again, starting from scratch. By June, they tell me they are having trouble finishing the cape and would need two more weeks. I told them that enough is enough, just ship it as is, and I can finish it myself. Which, I shouldn't have to, but I was so sick of the whole process. Two weeks after that e-mail, at their convenience, they shipped it, unfinished.

It's not over...So a day or so after having the replacement suit, my wife says, "What's that stuff all over the cape?" I look closer, and there are probably 40-50 black ink spots all over. Almost like someone had drawn with a sharpie on something on top of it, and it bled through. What made me madder, was that I could now see small rings where someone had realized this, and tried to clean some of the spots. They had tried so hard, that they took some of the red dye with it. So, I contact Sebastian again and said politely, "WTF?" Well, silly me, he claims that I must have done it again, because he personally inspected it, and they were not there when he shipped it. Hell, I missed it at first, but they are definitly there as the pictures below show.

One of several dozen spots:

IMG_5429.JPGIMG_5706.JPG

I shot for the moon, and I told Sebastian I wanted another cape. One without ink. He then sends and email saying "no", and then sends me another email with a bill for a new one at $650!!! Can you believe this guy!?! I'm furious now. I said, no, I'm not buying a new one for something that shouldn't have ink on it in the first place. It's too late for Ebay claims and credit card claims at this point. It's been 7 months. What I really want is just my finished suit. So, I ended up purchasing the raw fabric from him at $150, and I'm going to take the old one apart and copy it and make myself a new one. That was July 8th. When did they finally find the time to just fold up some fabric and ship it to me? August 11th. Anyone want the pattern of a so-called original?

IMG_5917.JPGIMG_5913.JPGIMG_5914.JPG

Sebastian Molchasky cares about money, and nothing else with his company. He's pushy, doesn't care about keeping you updated, and doesn't complete anything in the time he promises. I have every email to back this up as well. It's a shame because they used to be great. Yeah, their stuff is way overpriced, but it's one of a kind stuff. This is just one fan to another saying, stay away at all costs!

Oh, and if you'd like some of the measurements of an "original" suit, here they are. If my costume has all the measurements of the real suit, like they advertise, I now have them because I took all the measurements down. I measured both suits they sent me, and they're consistent. The way I see it, they don't own the rights to the measurements anyway. Warner Brother's technically does. It should be info for everyone to use on this forum.

Cape: 48" Long, 120" wide
Cape Emblem: 7x10" exactly, located 8 & 1/2" down from the neck line.
Inner Cape Pleats: 2" apart
Chest Emblem: 8x11" exactly, located exactly 2" down from the collar.
Belt: 1 & 7/8" wide x 36" long
Buckle: 2" tall exactly
Belt Loops: 1 & 1/4" wide, 2" long.
Leggings: 50" long, 13" across

His blurred out measurements:
RealCostumeMeasure.jpgRealCostumeMeasureBack.jpg

My Measurements:
IMG_5701.JPGIMG_5702.JPGIMG_5704.JPGIMG_5705.JPGIMG_4401.JPGIMG_4399.JPGIMG_4412.JPGIMG_4406.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_5895.JPG
    IMG_5895.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5898.JPG
    IMG_5898.JPG
    895.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_5903.JPG
    IMG_5903.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_5905.JPG
    IMG_5905.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Wow! This is so wrong. This is the main reason why I'm always distrust many online costumes stores as I heard many people have the same exact issues with the Spider-man suits & many of adult female costumes with extremely poor craftsmanship who don't know how to handle stretchy fabrics & the unrealistic "one-size-fits-all" sizing charts. I hope you'll find a better costume store that you deserve.

I must have missed this thread. I thought you were fine with the suit from your last thread until a discussion that just happened in the thread about a George Reeves suit. I pointed the person towards Action Costumes because it was the only one i knew of.

Anyway thanks for posting those measurements. That will be useful to others trying to make a replica. I don't think that info should be kept secret in the first place.

I had been thinking in answer you this for a long time and finally took the decision of doing it.
So, It’s obvious you are not happy with this transaction, I will like to express my apologise if something didn’t feel your expectations.
We work really hard to get your complete satisfaction with this great costume edition, like we did with any other of your orders from 2006.
We even made a belt we never made before to anyone under your request and just cause you are an old client and without any charge.
We made two of these belts to get the best quality and sent you the best one of those.
We asked you for the measures of you display and you requested us to send you the Mr Christopher Reeve Measures for you to compare them.
We told you that we highly prefer to ask you for the measures of your display in order of making this costume to those measures and you refused to send them and ask for our measures.
Like we always make in these cases we tell the client that we can’t take any responsibility of something goes wrong with this if we can’t get the real measures of the display.
You agreed with this and just asked us to change the wrist contour one.
Then you asked us if we can make a different seam edge for the cape. We tried hard and we found it was impossible with the gabardine we use and that is the best we can find here.
This subject delays a lot your order but was under your request.
Then you asked us if we can make the emblem using a particular disappearing ink pen
, one you saw it on Ebay.
I told you if we did it like that we will delay a lot the construction of your costume.
Casue we are in South America and it takes a lot of time to import something here, not that much to export something from here.
And you agreed to this delay.
After all this, we made the costume like you requested for and with the extra time you knew that would take.

We sent you the costume, you putted on your display, you tried hard to put it on and you make little holes on it.
Than you ask us to take the responsibility of this.
So even we told you and advised you we couldn’t take this responsibility casue we told you that if we don’t have the real measures of your display we can’t make it tailored for it we decided make a new costume for free.
So, we send you a new Costume!!
Before shipping it we analysed and checked every little part of the costume to see if something where wrong and we decided to send it casue it was a really nice Golden Editon!!
So we sent the costume for free, we even paid for the shipping and you got it.
You have it with you a few weeks and then you told us that the cape had inks marks.
Look, we really made a hard job here to get your complete satisfaction and I really think that anyone in this forum could realize about just reading this.
The Superman Golden Edition Costumes we make are the Most Accurate replica ever made of this edition and for this price.
If not, please, just put the link of a better replica here!!
I really think that you had been expecting something doesn’t exist, We had the access to two original costumes and like they are movie made costumes I assure you that have much more defects than the ones we sent it to you. Casue they are only made to be seen nice on screen and not to be use or for display.
Besides, I do not make this for money, I love my Job, I put a lot of passion on it. If I would like to make real money I would be working on other thing.
So please, think again before you put a comment like this one, there are a lot of people that work really hard to fulfil your expectations and reach this unique quality costumes!!

Sebastian Molchasky

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back