Star Trek TOS Science Tricorder Scanner

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was watching the episode, "The Ultimate Computer" last night and noticed the "science" or "alternate" Tricorder scanner Dr. Daystrom was using. I have the Diamond Select version and I was surprised at how accurate the electronics are compared to the original prop.

Since it's basically machined completely out of aluminum, I thought it might make a fun project. I just curious if any one had made one?

RBPRP1797BUlg.jpg

I used to own the original that was used on the show a long time ago... Wish I never sold it :(

I was watching the episode, "The Ultimate Computer" last night and noticed the "science" or "alternate" Tricorder scanner Dr. Daystrom was using. I have the Diamond Select version and I was surprised at how accurate the electronics are compared to the original prop.

Since it's basically machined completely out of aluminum, I thought it might make a fun project. I just curious if any one had made one?

View attachment 445072

Just watched “A Private Little War”. Blink and you will miss the scanner prop in this one, but the flashing lights inside it are well shown.

It looks like this is the first episode where this prop is used and then it is seen again in "The Ultimate Computer" so that explains why it's known as the "Spock scanner" or "Dr M'Benga scanner". The research continues.

Last edited:
I recently watched Balance of Terror and thought I had seen the scanner being used in Engineering toward the end of the episode. I'll try and do a screen shot.
If it was used in this episode from Season one, then it could be the very first time it makes an appearance in TOS.

The scanner used by Tomlinson in weapons control appears to be another scanner... Not the above. It's sometimes referred to as the alternate scanner.

The scanner used by Tomlinson in weapons control appears to be another scanner... Not the above. It's sometimes referred to as the alternate scanner.
I rewatched that episode last night. If it's the same scanner, they removed the cap from the front of it along with the electronics and motor. Unfortunately, it's seen from so far away, very few details can be seen on it, other than the switch or switches on the side.

One interesting thing about this scanner is that it resembles the droid caller from the first Star Wars film. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back