Star Trek: TOS PADD

Aku

I am starting working on the Star Trek TOS original PADD/log book

amoktime-jpg.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion for a UK version of the red/white/amber lights???

The proper version would be the Dialco Beehive dash lights, but USA shipping makes the total cost a little excessive

Thanks all

i cannot wait to see your progress! there are multiple equiv light listings on ebay UK under “Dialco Beehive dash lights.” hope that helps!

My apologies, in my haste I neglected to see they were only US mix-and-match or individual listings. None in the UK? Wow just tried again and nothing! What??? That’s so odd. Ok, maybe if you contact some Ebay sellers they might be able to combine shipping under a certain weight? Or look for LED lights or lenses with similar circumstance and height and mod them? Man I’m looking forward this seeing this built and again, my apology in jumping-the-gun.

My apologies, in my haste I neglected to see they were only US mix-and-match or individual listings. None in the UK? Wow just tried again and nothing! What??? That’s so odd. Ok, maybe if you contact some Ebay sellers they might be able to combine shipping under a certain weight? Or look for LED lights or lenses with similar circumstance and height and mod them? Man I’m looking forward this seeing this built and again, my apology in jumping-the-gun.

How frustrated you must be. I tried another search of any UK supplier I could find and nothing. I did get multiple hits for some really amazing beehive lights, like, to illuminate actual beehives. Wow. Are options + shipping from EU any better? I wish you luck on this. Also look into finding similar shaped LED Xmas bulbs you might mod

At the moment I'm in R&D phase. Seeing what techniques and materials I can use

I've picked up a second hand ipad 3 for £40, to mount inside the wooden shell and run a screen saver of log images. I'm currently designing Engineering logs, Geological surveys, fuel consumption figure and laying them all out in Photoshop. Some are copies of other logs I've seen, and some will contain things like crew bios taken from a variety of sources. Since these will eventually be jpgs copied down to the tablet, I can carry on designing and adding as many as I want, long after the case is finished

And since it's a working ipad, I could even run the animations from the LCARS project site here => LCARS Project

Cover
As for skinning the case, people have suggested material like Skivertex or Tolex or Naugahyde. I'd prefer to see the thing in person to judge it, rather then ordering blind. I've actually found this locally, which I like

Link => B&Q Black Leather effect

I've been experimenting on a piece of scrap wood. I've settled on covering with thin (1.5 mm) craft foam, then skinning with the B&Q leather. It has a slight cushion effect, rather like my mobile phone case

20220903_212707.jpg

I need to find the three lens covers and the switch. I'm making enquires with a firm in USA but there is a minimum spend. I might need to but two sets of lenses. Oh well, I can always make another PADD

I also have some working out to do with being able to use the tablet in the shell. I need to be able to still power on/off and more importantly, be able to charge the device still.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back