Star Trek: Mark IX TR-590 Tricorder

For us non-Trekkies...

What are these 'electronics from Gerry'?

Are these kits? Complete ready to install?

Link?

Thanks!

Cool, have you started looking at the paint colours yet?

Based on some feedback I got from RPF members, I picked up a few things:

- Dupli-Color Perfect Match BPR0031 Scratch Filler Gray Primer
- Duple-Color Perfect Match BGM0479 Medium Marblehead Met
- Krylon ColorMaster - Castle Rock - Gloss

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to be using yet, but I will probably experiment with some of these, and/or whatever is discussed in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Gerry or GMProps (ebayer https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gmprop) sells the electronic kits that are ready to install that fit the Stapleton Productions kits.

Except...Gerry is planning on shutting down his electronics business after his current orders go out. So just be aware if you try to purchase anything at this point. I believe it even says as much on his different online stores now.

I've already purchased the electronics for mine - so I'm good. It's a shame that he's stopping this, but I can understand that life has to come first.

Whoever steps into that role would have great trouble doing them at such high quality at those low prices...

Anyway, I took renaissance_man's advice and tried the Vauxhall Smoke Grey paint. It's the same hue as Astro Silver but darker - and I'm happy with the final colour after a couple of coats.

20180507_163858.jpg

I've spotted a couple of imperfections which I'm going to sand out with 1500, 2000 and 2500 grit sand paper, then I'll apply another coat. After that I'll spray the back plate.

Then I just need to wait for the electronics to arrive - as I can't do any painting on the door as I need to drill out a hole, install the reed switch magnet, and fill it first.

Attachments

• 20180507_163858.jpg
    20180507_163858.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 259
So propninja sent me a sample of GM7173 - and the results are interesting. It's much closer to the paint i used for my nemesis phaser.

You can see Vauxhall smoke grey (left), GM7173 (centre), and Audi Dakota grey (right, used for my phaser).

20180515_184923.jpg
20180515_184936.jpg

It definitely has a darker and browner hue than Vauxhall smoke grey. So the hunt is on for a metallic paint that is a tad lighter/browner than the Audi paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever steps into that role would have great trouble doing them at such high quality at those low prices...

Not sure of the prices before... but if someone is (was) doing them (I'm sure someone else could manage it as well)..

I dont know much about the Trek universe.. but I do electronics kits for runs here from time to time.

I'm sure its possible! :)

Not sure of the prices before... but if someone is (was) doing them (I'm sure someone else could manage it as well)..

I dont know much about the Trek universe.. but I do electronics kits for runs here from time to time.

I'm sure its possible! :)

The electronic kit was $135 - and you can see a video of it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezz-PbAH0G8. There's also a nice video which shows the slightly more expensive medical tricorder with scanner - and how it get's constructed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bur5hRr8nrU).

On the colour front, I decided to try dusting some Audi Dakota over the Vauxhall Smoke - and I was glad I tried it...

20180515_203008.jpg

Nice work there he did..

So in total.. looks like '3' separate pcbs'? (less than my DC-17 kit was!) LOL

I would image it being very difficult if you did NOT have a prop in hand to check dimensions and placement of the leds. (and the display overlay!)

Thanks for the links!

Yours is a bit of a lighter shade but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Its a fair bet that if you were to put two of the screen used props side by side they probably wouldn't match each other.

GM7173 could vary quite a bit in shade depending on the batch and how heavily the coats are put down. I have props that I painted myself out of a can that are a whole shade apart.

Yours is a bit of a lighter shade but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Its a fair bet that if you were to put two of the screen used props side by side they probably wouldn't match each other.

Yeah, that image did seem a bit darker than other images I've seen.

GM7173 could vary quite a bit in shade depending on the batch and how heavily the coats are put down. I have props that I painted myself out of a can that are a whole shade apart.

I guess so long as I've matched the sample I have - I know I'm not that far off.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back