Star Lord's Kree Blaster

CobraStrike525

I began working on this project a few months back. It's taken a while to finish it as I have to work around my hectic life, but the project turned out well.
First off here are the source photos. I think its only fair to include these for people who are trying to make their own props for Star Lord or GOTG.
Chris_Pratt_as_Star-Lord_poster.jpg

RumDqna.jpg

20140625044049!Star-Lord_Promo_Art_Decor_II.png

Star-Lord_and_Gamora.jpg

At this point I should include a note for anyone who is just starting a Star Lord project that there are a lot of photos out there of the pre-movie blaster designs. Yes they developed a design, took photos, those photos got on forums, and then they used a different design for the movie. Be careful avoid these as, if you use them, your prop will not be movie accurate and people will complain. I almost made this mistake. I have included one inaccurate photo below.
NOT ACCURATE PHOTO
Star lord blaster.jpg
PHOTO NOT ACCURATE
Note that the coloring is wrong in a few spots and that the barrel length was decreased for the film. The film version also has a lot more wear. It is not nearly so shiny.
Now that that is out of the way....

I started by looking around for a good starter prop. Unfortunately GOTG has not had the hell merchandised out of it like other Marvel films. I didn't want to start from scratch on this gun because of all the odd shapes but it was hard to find a good starter prop (read: toy guns).
Finally I found this at Toys-R-Us
View attachment 432828
Its obviously the wrong colors but it has the shapes right.
View attachment 432829
I began by taking off all the orange exterior pieces. For anyone who plans to use the same toy, or wants to use this thread to make their own prop, I have included the disassembly photos with screw locations and sizes below. Note that the gun is off-brand Nerf.
View attachment 432832

View attachment 432833

20140925_122928.jpg

20140925_122945.jpg

20140925_123404.jpg

Now it should be noted that when taking this gun apart there are few unique things. Firstly there are two triggers. The lower one retracts the two forward barrel casings. This is so that the gun can fire four bullets instead of four. If the barrel casings didn't move there would only be space for 2 barrels to fire. The second thing is that the two rear orange components are the slides. Consequently there are springs in them that make re-assembly difficult.

The last thing to note is that the lower barrel cover has a metal pin to hold it to the release mechanism. This pin is very small and I nearly lost it when I disassembled the gun. DONT LOOSE IT. It makes the Nerf part of the gun work. See photos below for details.

20140925_122506.jpg

After disassembly I began to paint the pieces individually. The pains can be seen below. They are both pretty old, I have had them about a decade now.
20141012_132253.jpg

20141003_192020.jpg

After getting a solid silver coat I laid out the sections that would need a black coating.
20141003_195739.jpg

20141003_195748.jpg

20141006_175335.jpg

20141006_175344.jpg

I then removed the painters tape and began to reassemble it. I decided not to take apart or paint the core for two reasons. The mechanism seemed more complicated than other Nerf guns I have disassembled and I didn't want to be unable to get it working again. Also I had already spent a lot of time on the project.
20141007_081730.jpg

Ok, now its half way done! Just got to do all the detailing. I worked to scuff the edges I knew would get worn on a real weapon. The back edges I sanded off the black paint to reveal the silver underneath. I did this on most of the black edges.

20141012_132348.jpg

20141012_132344.jpg

As you can see I also did other detailing work on the rest of the black areas. I went to my tool box and picked out a pair o needle-nosed pliers and a pair of vice grips. The vice grips made the large, wide scratches by running the head sideways on the gun. The needle-nosed pliers made long thin scratches with the needles. All over I used sand paper to give it a coat of wear.

Finally I took the gun apart again and coated all the painted parts in a clear coat which would give the gun a more metallic shiny feel and keep the paint job from being unintentionally damaged.
20141019_125410.jpg

20141019_125416.jpg

You might notice the bright orange barrels are now wrapped in gaffers tape/electrical tape.

20141019_125420.jpg

20141019_125430.jpg

Tada, a finished project. Took me about a month and a half but for anyone with time on their hands it should only take a few days. I could only paint 2-3 times a week and each color was 3-4 coats. Questions? Comments? Leave them below and thanks for reading.

I would like to thank this thread for the help on my project:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/star-lord-w-lights-sound-hair-blaster-progress-221724/

And here are some other good ones to check out:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/star-lord-helmet-accessories-helagak-208660/index9.html
http://www.guardthegalaxy.com/2013/09/cool-stuff-star-lords-guns-replicas.html
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/09/03/an-awesome-lady-star-lord/

Attachments

• 20140925_122458.jpg
    20140925_122458.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 20140925_123116.jpg
    20140925_123116.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 56
Any particular reason you call it a Kree blaster? Also, I find it funny you mention "people will complain if it's not accurate" but you didn't make yours accurate... Don't take that the wrong way either, you did a nice job.

And the photo you mention as being inaccurate is one of the props from the movie. The extended barrels showcase the recoil effect. Other than that, I don't see anything "inaccurate".

In the lore that I have looked at the weapon is referred to as a 'Kree submachinegun". I was just trying to be accurate. And I have seen other people trying to make theirs look like the promo shots, but the movie prop looks different. I didn't want anyone to accidentally make theirs look slightly different from the film version and end up disappointed at what they had made. I like to share all the info I have so that people can go and make exactly what they want, using the reference material I provide. But you're right. Its not really that big of a difference to most people.

And the photo you mention as being inaccurate is one of the props from the movie. The extended barrels showcase the recoil effect. Other than that, I don't see anything "inaccurate".

Also, they most likely made a dozen copes that all have different amounts of wear and differences in paint. (I'm guessing that the lower barrel details sticking out of the display model were removed or broke off very early due to being very impractical with all the tumbling about that Quill does in the film.) There's also the top barrel vent shroud where you can sometimes see it in an open position and sometimes closed. You also can't judge the finish or color of a prop by comparing photos. Lighting, color balance and color grading make a HUGE impact on how a prop looks. Metal props often look a lot more shiny on film than they are in real life, due to the strong lighting used on-set. That's why the guns in Men in Black are not chromed in real life, but look that way on screen.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back