Stable translucent liquid/goo?

Bfarn

Hi all,

I'm working on a project that includes some illuminated parts moving around in viscous, translucent liquid. If this was for a movie or something with limited exposure I would have a lot of options - stirring up stuff into a suspension looks great - but most cloudy liquids settle or separate eventually.

Has anyone got experience with cloudy goo? I'm looking for something like watered down milk, but thicker, and less prone to spoilage. Ideally, though this is less important, I'd love a substance that diffuses light enough that I could change its apparent color with LEDs from underneath.

Thanks!

Sodium Lauryl Ethersulfate 70% with Water and Salt = Gel. I've made my intern in a soap and detergent company and they told me how they make soap gel.

Ok, you folks are pretty awesome. I knew the answer would be something simple, but that I'd never normally think of.

Liquid soap is EXACTLY what I need. Time to hit up the walgreen's.

Thanks!

You might try methylcellulose, the stuff they use for special effects saliva and slime, with something added for cloudiness. Maybe a bit of acrylic paint or white gouache.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back