Spielberg filming style question

I did not know that Spielberg or any other director in the american system can take so much control over the visuals ?

I always thought that the DoP has main control over the visuals, making their work so darn expensive?

Depends on the individuals and egos....DOP's usually worry about the lighting and have camera operators actually operate the camera and have very little to contribute to the framing, while Cinematographers light, frame and shoot. I just learned that 2 months ago on a shoot I was on. I never knew the difference, all these years...I thought it was just a different name for the same position. I worked with a guy on my film who was good at lightning but was clueless about framing....Some directors are better with actors than staging action, while some are better at framing action stuff than handling actors, rarely do you find someone who can do both equally. Ridely Scott would rather operate his own camera, like he did in the UK but the strong US unions get all pants in a bun about it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back