Spartacus: Blood and Sand Training Armor

MarcusLaMont

Hey there. Just wanted to show off and get some criticism on a project I finally got off my bench today.
It's replica armor from the recent Spartacus TV series. More in particular, the right shoulder armor Spartacus wears while Training.

front.jpg

closefront.JPG

back.JPG

scales.JPG

Thanks guys. Does anyone have any tried suggestions for getting a more dried out and cracked texture? Like its been backing in the sun for years.
Sanding does it a bit but wants to erase the texture I already have there and a scotch pad seems to only go so far.

Thanks guys. Does anyone have any tried suggestions for getting a more dried out and cracked texture? Like its been backing in the sun for years.
Sanding does it a bit but wants to erase the texture I already have there and a scotch pad seems to only go so far.

this may sound pretty stupid, and may in fact actually be a pretty stupid idea but, have you thought about using a food dehydrator?

ps. i love the work you've done so far. i plan to do this for Halloween this year so i may be contacting you next month when i start the project.

pps. keep in mind that his shoulder armor had all sorts of little pictograph type things etched into it (see attached picture)
1295489097_1920x1200_spartacus-blood-and-sand-image.jpg

I'm still working on pulling sufficient stills to do the etchings/carvings, from that angle it looks like I needed to shorten up the scales a bit. They currently come down to my elbow where as here they are about midish bicep, and I have long arms.

I'd agree, the first few especially. Looking good though.

Aging leather could be done with with something like an oven cleaner to strip all of the oils out of the upper surface of the leather. It is a bit of a hit and miss affair and it will certainly weaken the leather and reduce it's life.

rub some salt in the leather..really dries it out..and allow it to set in the sun...lightly spray it with water..then set in the sun..but dont soak it in water...should do the trick.However setting in the sun will slightly darken the leather.

Thanks for the advice on drying the leather out, I'm experimenting on some sample pieces.

how did you age the leather
As it stands right now as seen in the pictures, I just wet the surface of the leather and wrinkled the pieces. Put 40 grit sandpaper abrasive side down and hit it with a hammer, scraped it up a bit, took a knife to the edges. Then I hit it with a red mahogany stain as a base and applied a chocolate brown stain with a rag. Sealed it with a satin shellac and the dulled it with a scotch pad.
I'm now trying to age it further with some of the suggestions mentioned above.

I feel guilty for not commenting upon this when I first saw it and have been thinking about it since so I've come back to give credit where it's due. I really like what you've done with this armour and I feel inspired and want to make something myself too. Do you have any build advice?

EPIC!!!!
I love the show and I love this. IMO this show should have got at least as much hype as game of thrones.

I've been looking into getting into leather work for a while to make stuff exactly like this.

One thing I learned while googling around is that actual leather armor was boiled to make it harder and more durable. This will also make the leather shrink.

Do have have alot of expierence with leather and how hard/expensive is it to get into?

Hey there. Just wanted to show off and get some criticism on a project I finally got off my bench today.
It's replica armor from the recent Spartacus TV series. More in particular, the right shoulder armor Spartacus wears while Training.

[*****SWEET PICS*****]

Whole time I was watching the show, every time Sparty's pauldron was on screen I kept thinking "wonder how long till I see that on RPF.

Well here it is, and you did not disappoint! Awesome job!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back