Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
The rules of jumping to Lightspeed has been rewritten a couple of times in the ST......in TFA Han jumps to lightspeed from inside his Freighter,......without damaging anything.....it dematerialises through the walls of the ship.....then in TLJ Lightspeed is totally different with different rules,.... if they'd used TFA rules,...Holdo's ship should have passed through the Star Destroyer

Theres no consistency

Han said 'Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it'

Using Lightspeed as a weapon has changed the whole drama of everything in the past,...Any Imperial threat could have been easily taken out with no loss of life for the Rebels.....& TFA lightspeed trick could have also allowed the Rebels to jump through the shields on the DSII in ROTJ

J
Amen

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I feel like lightspeed, the force, how lightsabers work, etc are entirely plot conveninces, and have been from the first sequel. Can you imagine people in 1980 getting mad at ESB because Vader's saber ignites at a different rate than Luke's? Or writing off ROTJ because suddenly the force lets you shoot lightning? You can nitpick the details to death, in which case almost no fantasy movie will hold water, frankly, or you can hand-wave it away and enjoy the story.

I feel like lightspeed, the force, how lightsabers work, etc are entirely plot conveninces, and have been from the first sequel. Can you imagine people in 1980 getting mad at ESB because Vader's saber ignites at a different rate than Luke's? Or writing off ROTJ because suddenly the force lets you shoot lightning? You can nitpick the details to death, in which case almost no fantasy movie will hold water, frankly, or you can hand-wave it away and enjoy the story.

^^^ THIS! One million times this.

Which story are we talking about?....this thread has moved over to TLJ a bit

I loved the story for Solo,...but found the story of TLJ very poor & amateurish

J

Which story are we talking about?....this thread has moved over to TLJ a bit

I loved the story for Solo,...but found the story of TLJ very poor & amateurish

J

I think the current direction of the conversation speaks to lazy writing, which is a term often associated with The Last Jedi. I don't buy into that association. Writing that is disagreed with is not, by definition, lazy. However, I feel like that's where most of the ire for The Last Jedi comes from: a disagreement with the choices. And dismissing that as lazy is...well, lazy.

Lazy writing is obvious, and almost none of the choices in The Last Jedi were obvious. The Force Awakens, by contrast, made very lazy choices. Almost the entire plot was predictable by being nearly a beat-for-beat remake of A New Hope. It might have been presented well, but it was still lazy. And maybe "lazy" was somewhat of a necessity for reintroducing the franchise, but it also resulted in backing the remaining two films into the corner of also rehashing the basic structure of the original trilogy. The Last Jedi chose to step out of that corner, which many fans admittedly don't care for, but it was not lazy.

When it comes to lazy, amateurish writing, however, Solo is textbook example of how to phone in your story. The entire film is structured around things we already know. So much so that the few elements and characters that are new are given so little to actually do that they don't matter. Almost from the beginning, the film establishes that it is running off of a checklist of Han Solo lore that it is going to insist on feeding us, not with a sense of style, but a sense of obligation and complete disregard for whether or not the lore make any narrative sense.

And before the "weaponized hyperspace makes no narrative sense" crowd grabs their pitchforks, the mere notion of not seeing a concept prior is not the same thing as breaking narrative rules. If sequels were not allowed to expand upon the universe with new elements, new characters, new situations, and new rules, then there would be almost no point in sequels (which, by the way, is why most sequels suck -- they try too hard to not deviate from what "worked" in the first film). The Star Wars films have almost always introduced new elements that had little to no precedent from previous films.

Yet "fans" praise it when they agree with the new choices, dismiss it as lazy when they don't.

Lazy is things like going for a spectacularly unfunny joke about how Solo got his name. It's a writer being so proud of a poorly written joke that the fact that it not only contributes nothing to character development, but it actually removes agency from a character who is supposed to be practically the embodiment of agency.

...Lazy is things like going for a spectacularly unfunny joke about how Solo got his name. It's a writer being so proud of a poorly written joke that the fact that it not only contributes nothing to character development, but it actually removes agency from a character who is supposed to be practically the embodiment of agency.

Or like inserting a contemporary "your mom" prank phone call joke.... (or any of the humor in TLJ, for that matter.)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Or like inserting a contemporary "your mom" prank phone call joke.... (or any of the humor in TLJ, for that matter.)

Sure, that's a lazy joke. I won't argue that.

But it's not a joke critical to character history or development, which is a significant difference. The "lazy" writing in TLJ were benign jokes. The lazy writing in Solo fundamentally changes the character.

The difference is the Solo film is a spin off....ie not part of the saga....so not essential viewing,....TLJ is part of the series & a part that doesn't fit tonally

The film is vastly inferior in quality & standard,.....the Solo film (bar a few slip-ups) has the right SW vibe, & has settled most anxious Star Wars fans after the dig in the gut that The Last Jedi gave us in the cinema

J

Lazy writing is obvious, and almost none of the choices in The Last Jedi were obvious. The Force Awakens, by contrast, made very lazy choices. Almost the entire plot was predictable by being nearly a beat-for-beat remake of A New Hope. It might have been presented well, but it was still lazy. And maybe "lazy" was somewhat of a necessity for reintroducing the franchise, but it also resulted in backing the remaining two films into the corner of also rehashing the basic structure of the original trilogy. The Last Jedi chose to step out of that corner, which many fans admittedly don't care for, but it was not lazy.

But can you not see that TLJ rehashes a lot more OT moments & more obviously than TFA.....like a parody.....it shows us scenes to make you feel that you have seen this part before, then "subverts our expectations'

When it comes to lazy, amateurish writing, however, Solo is textbook example of how to phone in your story. The entire film is structured around things we already know. So much so that the few elements and characters that are new are given so little to actually do that they don't matter. Almost from the beginning, the film establishes that it is running off of a checklist of Han Solo lore that it is going to insist on feeding us, not with a sense of style, but a sense of obligation and complete disregard for whether or not the lore make any narrative sense.

Yes' I agree,....BUT it is still an enjoyable film.....essential,...No

LFL need to create something new....everything so far is relying on familiar

TFA needed to do what it did....it needed to win the fans back from the failure of the Prequels,....to secure you that things were going to be ok with the new owners.....TLJ should have stepped forward, but instead we got anotherTFA but with curveballs thrown in......that is as you say....lazy

J

the Solo film (bar a few slip-ups) has the right SW vibe, & has settled most anxious Star Wars fans after the dig in the gut that The Last Jedi gave us in the cinema.

I completely disagree, brother Jaitea. I say most Star Wars fans remain anxious because Solo was--while not as hideously offensive as The Last Jedi--yet another boring, bland, SWINO film.

I completely disagree, brother Jaitea. I say most Star Wars fans remain anxious because Solo was--while not as hideously offensive as The Last Jedi--yet another boring, bland, SWINO film.

It's not great,....but not bad.....it shouldn't have been made.....BUT it was a relief....I thought there was no pulse in Star Wars's veins.......it's still on life support though

J

I think the casting director should have been fired. Ingruber should have been in, but the other guy was decent. I couldnt stand Woody though man. He needs to retire, or stick to the goofball roles. It was a very bland film, didnt stir up any real feelings or anything. So thats sucks. I would rather feel nothing than rage, like I did when I came out of TLJ.

It's not great,....but not bad.....it shouldn't have been made.....BUT it was a relief....I thought there was no pulse in Star Wars's veins.......it's still on life support though

And yet in the poll atop this page, you rated it, "Great! I loved it!". That's a very different rating--I'd say two categories higher--than the one this quote above warrants, "It's not great, but not bad.".

I don't mean to single you out, J, because you've been *very* good to me with some computer help, but I think your example here is a perfect one for what may have happened with many members who voted in this poll. When they got home from the cinema, they were so relieved that it wasn't hideously offensive like TLJ, that they overrated SOLO in this poll, because the bar had been lowered so drastically.

I know you can't speak for other voters in the poll, but do you think that may've happened to you, and that is why we're getting a very different rating from you now on the film versus the day after you saw it?

The Wook

And yet in the poll atop this page, you rated it, "Great! I loved it!". That's a very different rating--I'd say two categories higher--than the one this quote above warrants, "It's not great, but not bad.".

I don't mean to single you out, J, because you've been *very* good to me with some computer help, but I think your example here is a perfect one for what may have happened with many members who voted in this poll. When they got home from the cinema, they were so relieved that it wasn't hideously offensive like TLJ, that they overrated SOLO in this poll, because the bar had been lowered so drastically.

I know you can't speak for other voters in the poll, but do you think that may've happened to you, and that is why we're getting a very different rating from you now on the film versus the day after you saw it?

The Wook

Yep,...that's exactly what happened.....when I came home I was very relieved because of the Last (**** one) Jedi.....but now that it has sunk in,...I don't really think it was brilliant

.....&......I'm VERY sure,....that if a new poll for TLJ were to be taken,....there would be a different outcome

J

Yep,...that's exactly what happened.....when I came home I was very relieved because of the Last (**** one) Jedi.....but now that it has sunk in,...I don't really think it was brilliant

.....&......I'm VERY sure,....that if a new poll for TLJ were to be taken,....there would be a different outcome

J

I think you're right.

Ya know, opinion degradation happens over time with a lot of films. I think it happened more drastically in this case, because the bar had been set so hideously low by the previous film.

It's the soft bigotry of low expectations. But we should not let KK off so easily.

The Wook

But can you not see that TLJ rehashes a lot more OT moments & more obviously than TFA.....like a parody.....it shows us scenes to make you feel that you have seen this part before, then "subverts our expectations'

Absolutely. The throne room scene was ridiculous. Snoke/Emperor taunts Rey/Luke by threatening the end of the Resistance/Rebellion through a viewport while ships explode in the distance. Afterwards, Kylo/Vader kills Snoke/Emperor to save Rey/Luke. The whole time, Snoke/Emperor keeps Rey's/Luke's lightsaber at his side.

This throne room scene is a complete ripoff of ROTJ even down to the dialogue ("Fulfill your destiny!"). I thought they couldn't do worse than Starkiller Base as a Death Star ripoff. But nope, they had the ROTJ throne room, the dark side cave vision, and rickety, old speeders up against AT-AT walkers to buy time for the rebels/resistance to escape.

Absolutely. The throne room scene was ridiculous. Snoke/Emperor taunts Rey/Luke by threatening the end of the Resistance/Rebellion through a viewport while ships explode in the distance. Afterwards, Kylo/Vader kills Snoke/Emperor to save Rey/Luke. The whole time, Snoke/Emperor keeps Rey's/Luke's lightsaber at his side.

This throne room scene is a complete ripoff of ROTJ even down to the dialogue ("Fulfill your destiny!"). I thought they couldn't do worse than Starkiller Base as a Death Star ripoff. But nope, they had the ROTJ throne room, the dark side cave vision, and rickety, old speeders up against AT-AT walkers to buy time for the rebels/resistance to escape.

Yep....then folks go on & say Rian Johnson created something fresh & original.....original my arse

J

Yep....then folks go on & say Rian Johnson created something fresh & original.....original my arse

Yeah, but did you know, Rian is a bit of a Renaissance Man? Not just a distinguished filmmaker, but such a talented painter, that the Da Vinci Foundation has commissioned Rian to do an original portrait in the style of the great Leonardo. Here is Rian's finished product, which he named, "Sovvertire le Aspettative". {Translation: Subvert the Expectations}

mona_lisa.jpg

Yeah, but did you know, Rian is a bit of a Renaissance Man? Not just a distinguished filmmaker, but such a talented painter, that the Da Vinci Foundation has commissioned Rian to do an original portrait in the style of the great Leonardo. Here is Rian's finished product, which he named, "Sovvertire le Aspettative". {Translation: Subvert the Expectations}

View attachment 824308

:lol Theres also a full length version with loud and obnoxious socks.

View attachment 824308

Star Wars before and after Disney:

BeforeAfter.gif

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back