Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
I never questioned the integrity of their material. I only pointed out that the show's become unbearable to watch.

And as for being able to tell when they're being sarcastic or sincere, who cares if devout fans of the show like you can easily sort that out. Take a bow for your RLMIQ. But these guys want new viewers, and I'm tellin' ya, they ain't gonna get 'em if they don't trim the fat from their episodes, and make it more clear when they're breaking Disney's balls.

The Wook

You are literally saying that RLM, for whatever reason, has changed in a way so as to become unwatchable. How is that not an attack on integrity?

RLM shows do not have a set time length. They can be short or long depending on how much they have to say on a movie. Two recent examples. They talked about 'Annihilation' for 23 minutes, Solo for 44 minutes. They already trim the fat. And the fact that their subscriber numbers steadily increase tells me they're doing just fine.

Like The Last Jedi, I was deceived into believing I was eating a Filet Mignon, when in fact they slipped in a disgusting bloated sewer rat.

And then get trolled by the Head Chef and his fanboys for months because you didnt gobble it up with grateful abandon.

And as one of my favorite comedy writers once popularised, Yadda Yadda Yadda. Straight off the back of the most criticised and fractious Star Wars movie ever, Solo ends up losing anywhere from 50 to 100 million dollars, go figure. Hollywood history is littered with Directors, writers, producers and even entire production house`s collapsing for similar or less figures. Anyone ever heard of Heavens Gate? Obviously Disney is big enough to absorb it but that still doesn`t make it palatable or acceptable.

I think I'm on the wrong thread in writing this because I've realised I'm mainly referring to TLJ but I did listen to a reviewer who talked about subjectively bad and objectively bad films. And I think people canget labelled as toxic fans if they promote either stand point.

So very loosely a film is subjectively bad because it doesn't fit what I think should happen so I don't like it so nyah nyah nyah this film sucks :) And an objectively bad for a viewer is when it doesn't make sense, breaks continunity or breaks the rules of the setting that the film occurs.

so I think Solo for some folk is subjectively bad and TLJ is objectively bad. Not the same thing but the end result of unhappy fanboy/ fangirl is the same

Did any of that make any sense oh sith I hope so :)

And I've realised that while I liked Solo as a film it has been tainted for me by TLJ. I'm increasingly becoming more negative about Disney's SW efforts so far :(

Last edited:
You are literally saying that RLM, for whatever reason, has changed in a way so as to become unwatchable. How is that not an attack on integrity?

RLM shows do not have a set time length. They can be short or long depending on how much they have to say on a movie. Two recent examples. They talked about 'Annihilation' for 23 minutes, Solo for 44 minutes. They already trim the fat. And the fact that their subscriber numbers steadily increase tells me they're doing just fine.

*****, Mary and Joseph...what are you boning Rich or maybe all three of them or something??! :lol Take a chill pill.

When I said I wasn't challenging their "integrity", I was saying that I didn't get the sense they had been bought by Disney/LFL. Meaning, I think that their material can still be trusted. No, what I was saying was that their show has become unwatchable, because of their delivery of their takes. Such as:

* Goofing around way too much talking about stuff not relevant to the movie they're reviewing--particularly at the start of the show. It's boring, and unfunny.
* Slipping in and out of sarcasm too frequently, and in subtle enough ways that new, or even casual, viewers cannot detect when they're being sarcastic vs. sincere.
* Their sarcasm schtick, itself, has gotten bland and boring and unfunny.

The Wook

ps~I'm not very impressed by their SWIQs, either.

Hey, I was there opening day of Solo--just as I have been for every SW movie--even these SWINO films Disney's making. (SWINO = Star Wars In Name Only)

But I reject your suggestion that folks like @OldKen, @joshvanrad, @Solo, @Mr Webber, and @CessnaDriver--to name just a few--are "less of a fan" than you are, for not seeing Solo.

The Wook

Yep. Discerning does not make one less of a fan.

If we had to watch ALL Star Wars to be a real fan, did everyone watch all the Ewoks cartoons and that Caravan of Courage thingy?

They simply did not make a Han Solo movie for this Han Solo fan. They made Ranger Solo and the "Millennium" Falcon became a double meaning... more about appealing to the millennium generation.

I'll let an accusation of being some kind of purist be acceptable but not entirely accurate.

Perhaps one is more of a fan for being discerning.

*****, Mary and Joseph...what are you boning Rich or maybe all three of them or something??! :lol Take a chill pill.

When I said I wasn't challenging their "integrity", I was saying that I didn't get the sense they had been bought by Disney/LFL. Meaning, I think that their material can still be trusted. No, what I was saying was that their show has become unwatchable, because of their delivery of their takes. Such as:

* Goofing around way too much talking about stuff not relevant to the movie they're reviewing--particularly at the start of the show. It's boring, and unfunny.
* Slipping in and out of sarcasm too frequently, and in subtle enough ways that new, or even casual, viewers cannot detect when they're being sarcastic vs. sincere.
* Their sarcasm schtick, itself, has gotten bland and boring and unfunny.

The Wook

ps~I'm not very impressed by their SWIQs, either.

Nothing I said could possibly be construed as unreasonable or hyped-up.....:unsure

Words can have more than one meaning, Wook. Integrity doesn't just mean "something that can be trusted". It can also mean the soundness of a thing. For instance, "The structure has lost all integrity." By claiming RLM is now "unbearable" you are questioning the integrity of how bearable they are in whatever way.

Let me know when your "SWIQ defined" video series gets millions of views on youtube, like Mike's PT analysis.....;)

so I think Solo for some folk is subjectively bad and TLJ is objectively bad. Not the same thing but the end result of unhappy fanboy/ fangirl is the same

I think it's exactly the opposite. The Last Jedi made story decisions that did not contradict anything prior... but people didn't like (examples: ships running out of fuel, or Luke making a mistake and deciding to live in exile, Rey's parents not being anyone when we were never actually told they were important). That's subjectively bad writing.

Solo, in many instances, chose to explain things that are better off without explanation in order to earn an unfunny joke ("Solo it is, then. Welcome to the Empire Han Solo."), seemed to have disregarded what we know of the Star Wars universe (title card telling us it's a lawless and chaotic time, when this is in fact the height of Empire enforced order -- there isn't even a Rebellion yet), or even failed to read its own script when introducing "twists" and character motivations (example: why did Han immediately assume Qi'ra was the one who betrayed him when seconds later it's revealed that he had already set up an elaborate plan to foil Beckett's betrayal?). That's objectively bad writing.

The thing is, although I enjoyed The Last Jedi, I will also admit that it had problems.

Solo, on the other hand, was just a baffling exercise in strange and lazy writing choices.

Nothing I said could possibly be construed as unreasonable or hyped-up.....:unsure

Words can have more than one meaning, Wook. Integrity doesn't just mean "something that can be trusted". It can also mean the soundness of a thing. For instance, "The structure has lost all integrity." By claiming RLM is now "unbearable" you are questioning the integrity of how bearable they are in whatever way.

Let me know when your "SWIQ defined" video series gets millions of views on youtube, like Mike's PT analysis.....;)

It's not that you're saying these things in a hyped-up manner. You're not, per se. It's that you're going to such lengths to defend these 3 youtube nitwits, riding to their rescue in post after post after post. :lol

I'm guessing if you're not sleeping with Mike or Rich or the other one, that you're just fulfilling your pledged duties as President of the Red Letter Media Fan Club--Washington state chapter.

The Wook

Battlefront.jpg

Finally got around to seeing Solo myself:

-L3 is super annoying and basically throws "droid equal rights" in your face for half the movie. Now I've heard it's deliberate, but it doesn't come across as such at all. It's just annoying. I'm actually kinda happy when she is destroyed so we don't have to listen to her excessive jabbering.

-The showing was too dark, which I've heard is a prominent problem with this movie. I could hardly make out any details, and everything looked desaturated. It was not visually enticing at all.

-There's waaaaaay too much "wink wink nudge nudge" thrown into the dialogue. The amount of callbacks was almost every other line. It comes to the point of being annoyingly superfluous. Like, we get it, this is what's going to happen in the OT. It's terrible. The dialogue in general isn't great though.

-Fortunately Alden Ehrenreich makes it work. He's not a terrible Han, but he's not a great Harrison Ford either. He's his own character at points who occasionally throws out dialogue with a Han-like inflections.

-Are we really supposed to believe that Lando's been hanging on to that same Jabba Palace guard costume for 15 years? Really? That was a terrible callback. In fact, let me reiterate: TOO MANY CALLBACKS, especially Lando's. "I hate mining operations." ... But I'll be happily operating one in about 10 years because I just so happened to win one.

The movie is so forgettable. Easily the most lackluster of the Disney Star Wars flicks.

I just thought it must have been the busiest week of Han Solo's entire life!! In the space of a week or so he gets his iconic gun, his iconic ship, his iconic sidekick, his iconic last name, starts his friendship with Lando, sets a record for the kessel run AND kick starts the rebellion! wow! I mean he must have been knackered after all that activity

Well, to be fair, he got the last name three years earlier. The blaster, the Wookiee, Lando, and the Kessel Run were around the same time-ish, yes. All, ironically, related to what Beckett was up to, and the latter half of that due to the interference of Enfys Nest. There's some lack of clarity over how long after he wins the Falcon from Lando. One source says three years further on, but that doesn't feel right, from watching the movie. I'd say days to weeks. He didn't "kickstart the Rebellion", though. :rolleyes

Well, to be fair, he got the last name three years earlier. The blaster, the Wookiee, Lando, and the Kessel Run were around the same time-ish, yes. All, ironically, related to what Beckett was up to, and the latter half of that due to the interference of Enfys Nest. There's some lack of clarity over how long after he wins the Falcon from Lando. One source says three years further on, but that doesn't feel right, from watching the movie. I'd say days to weeks. He didn't "kickstart the Rebellion", though. :rolleyes

Refresh my memory, please. I saw this SWINO film on opening day, and already, less than a fortnight later, it is a dim memory of bland nothingness. Why did Lando fly away duirng the Enfys Nest confrontation?

Cuz he had already lost his copilot and had his ship trashed. I figure there was a comlink line open, as he'd said to let him know when to come get his share. He heard Han talking out of his butt and drawing attention to him and his ship again and just said screw it I'm out. He didn't have a dog in that fight, and wasn't about to risk losing even more.

Cuz he had already lost his copilot and had his ship trashed. I figure there was a comlink line open, as he'd said to let him know when to come get his share. He heard Han talking out of his butt and drawing attention to him and his ship again and just said screw it I'm out. He didn't have a dog in that fight, and wasn't about to risk losing even more.

Well, I don't know where you get the comlink idea from, but okay.

And why did you say Solo didn't kickstart the rebellion? Wasn't that the implication? Not necessarily that he was the only patron of the cause, but that he was a big one and an early one.

yes right you are inquisitor but you can see how errr compacted the film is in order to fit in all those callbacks. To me it makes the film somewhat artificial? or predictable?

ps also he learnt to shoot first in that week/ fprtnight :p

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back