So where are good Fedoras sold these days?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have only ball-cap 'hatters' locally. :(

I am not necessarily looking for everyone's favorite adventurer lid, but I would like a quality fedora. I know akubra sells some fedoras - is there any other quality hatters on line maybe?

Do you want an Indy fedora, or any kind of Fedora?
Akubra's hats are factory made, a good price and reasonably SA.
If you want the BEST factory made Indy hat and VERY SA, go with Adventurebilt's 'Henry'. It's $300 but the quality of felt and the overall design is superior to the Akubra, based on my research.
For reasonably priced, extremely well-made by hand fedoras, www.penmanhats.com
John Penman is a pleasure to deal with and will answere all your questions accuratly and honestly - and will even answer questions you didn't even know you had.

Thanks. I am not looking for an Indy fedora but the more I see them, the more I am drawn to them...

eBay or the classified section at the Fedora Lounge (must be a member). Vintage fedoras aren't all that hard to come by as long as you know where to look. If you have any good vintage stores in your area, you could try there as well. The Indy Fedora is modelled in a vintage style.

I was going to suggest The Fedora Lounge as well. The members there are as knowledgeable about hats as the members here are about props and costumes. The downside is, you'll probably get so many options and opinions it'll make your head explode. :cool

www.hatsdirect.com sells more than just the Akubra. they have a bunch of different styles, including homburgs, stingy-brims, and stuff in between.

They're usually reasonably priced, too.

If you're looking for a custom hat, and are willing to shell out the cash, Rand's Custom Hats in Billings, MT is great. I have their european clay hat in grey and it looks fantastic. Built like a tank, too. Bear in mind that they do a "pencil roll" on the brim if you decide to order it. They have a website too, by the way. www.randhats.com.

Hope that helps!

Optimo is considered one of the top "custom" hatters....they did a bunch of hats for films like Road to Perdition, and Public Enemies (including Johnny Depp's BEAUTIFUL ox blood fedora from that movie). But they'll cost ya.

But I've got to give another shout out to John Penman of Penman hats. He's going to be making me a hat similar to the Public Enemies hat (just not in the glorious ox blood, you've got to go to Optimo for that). He has his own line of hat designs or can do any Indy hat you want. But he customizes the specs of the hat to fit your head and face shape. Plus, it's all hand made.

Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes also does custom hats. No personal experience, but have heard nothing but good things about his work.

http://hatguys.com/ <-- these guys are local to me, but they do internet business as well.....I've found them to be quite helpful...picked up a Stetson from them not too long ago.

Amazingly enough, Amazon.com sells Fedoras. At least they did when I bought mine about ten years ago, and I still have it. I only use it during the summertime. I'm not sure if they still sell them. I seem to recall that I bought mine for about $45 or $50, I can't remember the exact price.

Do any of the places mentioned in this thread offer any kind of repairs or parts? I have a nice tan suede fedora that I love, but the sweat band rotted. I'd love to find someone to repair it, or a quality replacement part with instructions that I could do at home.
If anyone ends up in the Harrisburg area on the weekend, head over to Middletown for Saturday's Market. There's a hat stand that sells some vintage as well as newer styles. I got my winter fedora there - a purple stingy brim that looks great with my coat.

Does Indianapolis have any men's shops that might carry some? Buying online is great -- as long as you know your size and what fits your personality. In Los Angeles, we're fortunate enough to have at least a few places that strictly sell hats. This being your first fedora, I'd shop in person before spending hundreds on an item you might end up not wearing.

Optimo is considered one of the top "custom" hatters....they did a bunch of hats for films like Road to Perdition, and Public Enemies (including Johnny Depp's BEAUTIFUL ox blood fedora from that movie). But they'll cost ya.

But I've got to give another shout out to John Penman of Penman hats. He's going to be making me a hat similar to the Public Enemies hat (just not in the glorious ox blood, you've got to go to Optimo for that). He has his own line of hat designs or can do any Indy hat you want. But he customizes the specs of the hat to fit your head and face shape. Plus, it's all hand made.

Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes also does custom hats. No personal experience, but have heard nothing but good things about his work.

Borsalino, akubra, porkpie hats, henschel, greek fisherman hats, kangol, stetson hats <-- these guys are local to me, but they do internet business as well.....I've found them to be quite helpful...picked up a Stetson from them not too long ago.

Yeeeees, the HATGUYS in Oakland!
This is where I get all my hats.... mostly Homburgs and Derbys for me.
These guys are great.
Theyll do anything to help you find exactly what your looking for.
Never done online from them, but if its anything like going to them, Id definitely contact them if I were you.

Does Indianapolis have any men's shops that might carry some? Buying online is great -- as long as you know your size and what fits your personality. In Los Angeles, we're fortunate enough to have at least a few places that strictly sell hats. This being your first fedora, I'd shop in person before spending hundreds on an item you might end up not wearing.

:) Yeah, I found a place locally, though I have not purchased from them. Scratch that, I bought a Stetson Fedora for my dad last Christmas. From other sources, I now own 2 fedora's (Akubra's), 2 Panama hats, a bowler, and a vintage newsboy's cap.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back