Sliders Timer: Some useful information

Hi CJ2319.
Did you decide on which faceplate to choose? I am confused between that colorful and white as it has to be red where the counter is, but should it be coloured in the rgb leds zone?
Probably I'll just go with the coloured one.

I'm not going to use the colored one. The led displays are already red. I actually redesigned my board to use surface mount parts and I built the red power level leds into the board, so I'm not going to use the rgb led ring after all. I'm still waiting to get my boards in the mail but I'll post pictures in my other thread when it's done. I still need to figure out a good way to print the faceplate on an acrylic sheet. What do you think?

I was going to print it on acrylic, so I qouted several printing houses, but was slightly dissapointed with the price.. I will try to make the faceplate by printing it out on a laser printer and transfering it to the plexiglass.

The original timer had red filter on top of the digits.
7.PNG

What do you think about the "crescent moon shaped" knob? I have searched everywhere with no luck :(
Bought epoxy as someone proposed on the forum, but don't think that's a good idea.
Thought of 3D printing it. What do you think?

Attachments

• 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 346
I was going to print it on acrylic, so I qouted several printing houses, but was slightly dissapointed with the price.. I will try to make the faceplate by printing it out on a laser printer and transfering it to the plexiglass.

The original timer had red filter on top of the digits.
View attachment 727262

What do you think about the "crescent moon shaped" knob? I have searched everywhere with no luck :(
Bought epoxy as someone proposed on the forum, but don't think that's a good idea.
Thought of 3D printing it. What do you think?

Yeah... I couldn't find a dial anywhere. I just ordered 3d prints of the dial and the black box from Shapeways. I guess we'll see how they turn out.

I just wanted to confirm that I spoke to the gentleman who built the case for the Timer and he confirmed that dial was not a found piece. He built it from scratch. So everyone can stop looking for it I guess! He told me:

"I am sorry to say we did not work from drawings back then , there may have been a small napkin sketch but it was probably lost in the fire? Don Buchanon was the propmaster and he liked to be loosey goosey with drawings /records. We just workshopped pieces together as we would do for the 15 years of our working relations. This was the only prop i had involvement with.

You are correct the dial was scratch built mainly because there nothing shallow enough to fit in the enclosure as the electronics package was very tight !!

But as we have said before 20 + years, I had to look up images of the Slider’s device just to remember this much, so good luck digging"

Cheers
Mike Caluori

So there we have THAT....

I've always thought that the best way to create the dial light is simply to create a dial that has an additional flap coming off of it. The dial light can be on all the time, or switched on when you start to turn the dial, but it's just a regular light that back lights the red plastic. The light is just blocked by the flap on the dial. As the dial is turned, the light is revealed. Then you also get that smooth light opposed to individual LEDs

I've always thought that the best way to create the dial light is simply to create a dial that has an additional flap coming off of it. The dial light can be on all the time, or switched on when you start to turn the dial, but it's just a regular light that back lights the red plastic. The light is just blocked by the flap on the dial. As the dial is turned, the light is revealed. Then you also get that smooth light opposed to individual LEDs

Just a few months late weighing in...

In fact, this is exactly how the hero prop functioned. Also, the crystal (handmade by Mike) and upper digits (sorry to break hearts - they were static, backlit graphics) shared light from an incandescent, automotive festoon bulb. We didn't have LiPoly batteries back then... the hero timer had its own diesel generator and a 3-ph umbilical ;-)

BTW, the lookup tables that I posted a few years ago, from the original sourcecode, seem to have disappeared. Anyone still need 'em?

gEnSEr

In fact, this is exactly how the hero prop functioned. Also, the crystal (handmade by Mike) and upper digits (sorry to break hearts - they were static, backlit graphics) shared light from an incandescent, automotive festoon bulb. We didn't have LiPoly batteries back then... the hero timer had its own diesel generator and a 3-ph umbilical ;-)

BTW, the lookup tables that I posted a few years ago, from the original sourcecode, seem to have disappeared. Anyone still need 'em?

gEnSEr
very nice to talk with you! I collected my copy of the timer, it is really a very interesting project! Thank you for the information you gave us! 23 years later I collected my timer!

gEnSEr

If I can just ask a question, something I've always wanted to know is the keypad and the buttons a scratchbuilt item or from a found object? Or based on a found object?

If I can just ask a question, something I've always wanted to know is the keypad and the buttons a scratchbuilt item or from a found object? Or based on a found object?

The phones were hollow, 'dummy' display models from Motorola - I remember prying out the lead weights. As you well know, substantial modifications were made to the phone bodies, and I can't recall what was left of the keypad PCB - or if there was even one present, to begin with. I may have buried discrete dome switches under keys, where I needed them. Honestly, I don't remember much about the membrane keypads in the flipovers - where they came from or how I wired them.

Looking at the original (rev1) source code from April 11, 1994, I see only the following switch inputs:

* Set hours
* Set minutes
* Set seconds
* Run timer
* Rate skew (apparently a scripted requirement to skew the timer rate on-demand)
* Bargraph: toggle on/off
* Yellow LED: toggle on/blink/off
* Red LED: toggle on/blink/off
* Green LED: toggle on/blink/off

The membrane pad, whichever keys were functional, was not fully decoded - I can confirm that much.

The second-to-last incarnation of the software, dated Jan 31, 1996, added a new block of code and a new switch input:

* Timer Mode: toggle normal/whacky (makes everything goes a bit haywire; this might have required a stealthy switch on the side of the phone, for discrete activation, on camera; not sure how many times this feature was used - maybe just one episode)

It's funny, I can see from my comments in sliders_r0.asm (April 11, 1994) that I had reused a large portion of code from a timer 'device' that I'd built for Time Cop, just a few months before - still one of my favorite builds. That one went 'kaboom' at the end of the movie. ;-) And the funky power-up preamble was largely carried over from 'devices' I built in 1992, for a Roger Moore MOW, The Man Who Wouldn't Die. (My last name was embedded there, too ;-)

Well, that was a long-winded and it doesn't fully answer your question. Sorry, that's the best I could do... Sliders was more than a quarter-century ago!

SG

gEnSEr

Thank you sir! In fact, I just noticed THIS today...to further show what Steven is talking about...proof (not that any was needed!) of the umbilical from the episode Summer of Love :D
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 1.06.40 PM.png

I don't know if anyone is still on this thread, but I just recently got back into working on building my timers. I was wondering if there is any files that state what resistor goes where on the boards that were created by brevik.

Contact member Rocket as he wrote the original code. He posted it ages ago but it seems to have disappeared. I need it myself actually.

I don't know what the interest is on the timers from Sliders anymore, but considering that there hasn't been that much information about the reproduction of it provided online publicly, I figured that I should move all the info that I have to a thread here.

This mainly pertains to the Original Timer, but a lot of the resources can be, and will be converted for use with the other timer models.

A few files linked to Google Drive, for lack of a better place to upload files, so if there is any problem with the links or downloads, let me know.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Faceplate Design Files

Original Timer Faceplate Design PDF Files download link here.
Upon doing some tangible sizing, I see now that this version of the faceplate is going to be too short for this build of the timer presented in the post. I am leaving the source files up in case anyone wants to edit them for their project for the time being. I will be updating them with the correct sizing as soon as I have the timer closer to completion. Then I will know the actual size that the faceplate should be.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Electronic Parts List

This list is only the electronic components.

Starting from the top down:

Emitter LEDs:
High Intensity White LED
Two of these should do the trick.

Days Display:
0.3" Single Digit Display
I figured that these would work as they are slightly smaller than the main digit displays. It has been very tricky to track down a display that has three digits that fit the dimensions needed. Anyone have any other ideas?

Potentiometer (for the dial):
Sparkfun Thumbwheel Potentiometer
A thumbwheel pot is probably the best option for the knob on the original timer because of the low profile size of it. The original timer does not have much clearance under the black box, especially given that the knob is recessed into the enclosure.
I'm going to have to modify the thumbwheel to secure onto the knob, but that should be fairly simple to do.

Display drivers/multiplexers: EDIT: It seems that this link now goes to the thru-hole version of the IC, but I surface mount version will need to be used instead. Link has been updated for the SMT MAX7221 from Digikey.
MAX7219 - Eight Digit Display Driver
Two of these are needed for full functionality. I used the MAX7221, but these MAX7219's are more common and cheaper.

The main HH:MM:SS digit display:
0.36" Single Digit Display
These are single digits and should fit perfectly with the given dimensions. I am using the common cathode version because the MAX72xx chips require common cathode displays.

Colon LEDs:
Small Rectangular Red LEDs

Bargraph Displays:
10 Segment Green Bargraph Display
I like to use Sparkfun whenever I can because they have all the EagleCad libraries for all of their products, making it much easier to make a PCB design.

Tau/Zeta/Delta LEDs:
Rectangular 5mm x 2mm Color LED

Buttons:
I've decided on which button type to use. These will work great with eh dimensions needed.
Tactile Button Switches

New: USB micro SMD Connector:
Micro USB SMD Connector
So that I can interface with the timer through the bottom port directly to the computer and reprogram the timer without having to dismantle it.

MCU:
Arduino Micro Board
The main processor for the entire rig. I chose this because its small and can just be incorporated into the design, as-is, and simplifies things a lot, and has more analogue inputs than most of the small Arduino boards.

The circuit make-up will require some resistors and some capacitors and Sparkfun has the correct types:
330 Ohm SMD Resistors
100nF SMD Capacitors
10uF SMD Capacitors
Additional update: I have added some 1k ohm surface mount resistors for the LEDs that are constantly powered on the bargraphs
You can order them in a small quantity from DigiKey.com.
Green LEDs tend to be brighter in comparison to the power provided as compared to the other LEDs.

There will also be two other types of resistors for the current resistors that go with each display driver. Each resistor type will be of different value due to using three different display types (green bargraphs, main red HH:MM:SS display, and red days display, where the days display will have a different current rating than the main HH:MM:SS display, and the two different colors, red and green, will also have different current ratings because of the color difference).
I will have those resistor ratings later and I will post links to where to get them. I have a space on the PCB to place a socket for the resistors, and I'll figure out the best current limiting resistor for the displays after getting PCB installed under the faceplate, for best brightness and power consumption.

Pictures of many of the parts:

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/18/36/28/14/bgandb10.jpg

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/18/36/28/14/displa10.jpg

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/18/36/28/14/everyt10.jpg

I've tried to keep the entire circuit as simple as possible to keep the parts list to a bare minimum. One of the huge advantages to using the MAX72xx display drivers is that the current limiting is left up to a single Rset resistor because of the nature of multiplexing. So this really reduces the component count.
Now this is just the electronic components that I have figured out so far (mostly), but some are subject to change, and some, like the buttons, aren't entirely figured out quite yet. The enclosure and cosmetic parts list will be a separate section. Hopefully some experienced timer builders may have some suggestions for additions or changes.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PCB Printing

The PCB that I have currently designed out I have currently ordered from oshpark.com and I'm waiting for it to be shipped to me.
Currently the PCB will look like this(front) and (back).
Source board files provided here.
Oshpark.com Shared Project page for the PCB here (older version without jumper connection and other improvements). : From here, you can order the most current board that I've developed so far.

Update: New board version HERE. I incorporated a line of jumper connections that connect the top of the board to the bottom, making room for better PCB wire routing. This frees up some mess in the HH:MM:SS area of the PCB enabling the proper use of through-hole component placement. I also moved the bargraphs and three LEDs down a tad to make it more screen accurate.

I kept the original PCB without jumper connection available above, but as long as everything works on the newer version, I suggest using the update version.

Current Source Code (not complete)

The source code for the MCU is not complete yet because I have to decide how I am going to manage the battery power and the on/off function of it once I have the case made, but the input/output hardware is solid, and I have a microUSB connection on the bottom of the PCB that is accessible from the battery charger port on the Motorola phone case to reprogram the MCU without having to disassemble anything.

Video of the components in action on the breadboard:

The video includes the basic functions of the program but doesn't include the input to reset the time and such. I used the Arduino platform, so the code is main in C based off of the Arduino IDE and used the Arduino LED Control library.

Code here.
Code:
#include "LedControl.h"
/*
pin 12 DataIn
pin 11  CLK
pin 10 LOAD
Two MAX7221's
*/
LedControl lc=LedControl(12,11,10,2);

//buttons and inputs
const int button0 = A0;
const int button1 = A1;
const int button2 = A2;
const int button3 = A3;
const int pot1 = A4;
const int greenpin = 5; //green LED
const int redpin = 6; //red LED
const int yellowpin = 8; //yellow LED
const int emitters = 3; //emitters are connected in serial
const int speaker = 4; //piezo
const int colons =  13; //colons are connected in serial

unsigned long totalsectime = 35; //this value is the beginning countdown time
//totalsectime will later be filled in by time set function by inputs

void setup() {
randomSeed(analogRead(A5)); //sets pin A5 as an input to generate a random number
pinMode(colons, OUTPUT);
pinMode(speaker, OUTPUT);
pinMode(emitters, OUTPUT);
pinMode(button0, INPUT);
pinMode(button1, INPUT);
pinMode(button2, INPUT);
pinMode(button3, INPUT);
pinMode(pot1, INPUT);
pinMode(greenpin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(redpin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(yellowpin, OUTPUT);

// number of devices LedControl
int devices=lc.getDeviceCount();
//init all devices in a loop
for(int address=0;address<devices;address++) {
   //take out of power saving mode
   lc.shutdown(address,false);
   // set brightness - depends on Rset values
   lc.setIntensity(0,15);
   lc.setIntensity(1,1);
   /* and clear the display */
   lc.clearDisplay(address);
   //sets the number of digits that each 7221 will scan through when multiplexing
   lc.setScanLimit(0, 6);
   lc.setScanLimit(1, 6);
}
}

//COLON BLINK FUNCTION for normal countdown 2 blink/second
int colonsState = LOW;
long previouscolonsMillis = 0;
long colonsinterval = 250;
void colonBlink(){

unsigned long currentcolonsMillis = millis();

if(currentcolonsMillis - previouscolonsMillis > colonsinterval) {
   // save the last time you blinked the LED
   previouscolonsMillis = currentcolonsMillis;  

// if the LED is off turn it on and vice-versa:
   if (colonsState == LOW)
     colonsState = HIGH;
   else
     colonsState = LOW;

// set the LED with the ledState of the variable:
   digitalWrite(colons, colonsState);
}
}

//GENSER SEQUENCE PREAMBLE
void genserOne() { 
//GEnSEr
//G 
lc.setRow(0,0,B01011110);
//E 
lc.setChar(0,1,'E',false);
//n
lc.setRow(0,2,0x15);
//S(5)
lc.setChar(0,3,'5',false);
//E
lc.setChar(0,4,'E',false);
//r
lc.setRow(0,5,0x05);

delay(400);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//random 1
lc.setRow(0,0,B01001001);

lc.setRow(0,1,B00010101);

lc.setRow(0,2,B00100011);

lc.setRow(0,3,B00000011);

lc.setRow(0,4,B01010100);

lc.setRow(0,5,B01000011);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//CAluri
//C
lc.setRow(0,0,B01001110);
//A
lc.setChar (0,1,'A',false);
//l(lowercase "L")
lc.setRow(0,2,B00110000);
//u
lc.setRow(0,3,B00011100);
//r
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000101);
//i
lc.setRow(0,5,B00010000);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//4th Sequence
lc.setRow(0,0,B00100011);

lc.setRow(0,1,B00000011);

lc.setRow(0,2,B01010100);

lc.setRow(0,3,B01000011);

lc.setRow(0,4,B00010011);

lc.setRow(0,5,B00011001);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//Second CAluri sequence
//C
//A
//l(lowercase "L")
//u
//r
//i

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//6th Sequence
lc.setRow(0,0,B00101010);

lc.setRow(0,2,B00011010);

lc.setRow(0,3,B01001000);

lc.setRow(0,4,B01000001);

lc.setRow(0,5,B01001001);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//6th Sequence
lc.setRow(0,0,B00010011);

lc.setRow(0,1,B00011001);

lc.setRow(0,2,B00100010);

lc.setRow(0,3,B00011000);

lc.setRow(0,5,B00100101);

delay(250);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(75);
}

void displayFade() {
//clear
delay(100);
//INSERT FUNCTION FOR DIGIT FADING AFTER ZERO
lc.setRow(0,0,B01111000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,1,B01111110);       //0
lc.setRow(0,2,B01111110);       //0
lc.setRow(0,3,B01111110);       //0
lc.setRow(0,4,B01111110);       //0
lc.setRow(0,5,B00011110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00110000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B10000000);       //0
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,1,B01111000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B01000000);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,1,B00110000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,1,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
delay(55);
lc.setRow(0,2,B01111000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,3,B01000000);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,2,B00110000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,2,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
delay(1000);
}

void displayWrap() {
//INSERT DISPLAY WRAP
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00000010);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00000010);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00000010);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000010);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000010);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000010);
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B01000000);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B01000000);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B01000000);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B01000000);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B01000000);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B01000000);
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00100000);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00100000);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00100000);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00100000);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00100000);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B00100000);
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00010000);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00010000);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00010000);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00010000);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00010000);      
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00001000);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00001000);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00001000);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00001000);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00001000);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B00001000);
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00000100);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00000100);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00000100);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000100);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000100);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000100);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000001);
}

void updatespeaker(){
static int state = 0;
static unsigned int beeptime = 250;
static unsigned int sinterval = 500;
static unsigned int freq = 2500;
static unsigned long lasttimeon = 0;
unsigned long m = millis();

if (state == -1){
   lasttimeon = m;
   state = 1;
   tone(speaker,1000);
   noTone(speaker);
   tone(speaker,1000);
   return;
}
if (state == 0){
   if (m >= lasttimeon +sinterval){
     state = 1;
     tone(speaker,freq);
     lasttimeon = m;
   }
   return;
}
if (state == 1){
   if (m >= lasttimeon + beeptime){
     noTone(speaker);
     state = 0;
     beeptime = 100;
   }
   return;
}
}

//setting up seconds time conversion
#define secondsinaday 86400  //((60*60)*24)
#define secondsinhour 3600  //(60*60)
#define secondsinminute 60

long countpreviousMillis = 0;   //stores count milliseconds   
long countinterval = 1000; //1 second

void displayDate(){

unsigned long countcurrentMillis = millis();

if(countcurrentMillis - countpreviousMillis > countinterval) {
   // save the last time counted
   countpreviousMillis = countcurrentMillis;  
   totalsectime--; //decrement of 1 second
   unsigned long sectime = totalsectime;
   /*takes the totalsectime variable and converts it inside of this function
   so that the time conversions do not interfere with the later functions */

unsigned long days = sectime/secondsinaday; //calculates seconds in a day
   sectime = sectime % secondsinaday; //takes the remainder of the previous calculation
   unsigned long hours = sectime/secondsinhour; //calculates seconds in an hour
   sectime = sectime % secondsinhour; //takes the remainder of the previous calculation
   unsigned long minutes = sectime/secondsinminute; //calculates seconds in a minute
   unsigned long seconds = sectime % secondsinminute; //takes the remainder, and that is seconds

/*below takes the values generated from above and makes variables for each digit to display
based on on dividing the values by hundreds/tens/single numbers*/

unsigned long days_hundreds = days/100;
   unsigned long days_tens = (days %100)/10;
   unsigned long days_units = (days %100)%10;

unsigned long hours_tens = (hours %100)/10;
   unsigned long hours_units = (hours %100)%10;

unsigned long minutes_tens = (minutes %100)/10;
   unsigned long minutes_units = (minutes %100)%10;

unsigned long seconds_tens = (seconds %100)/10;
   unsigned long seconds_units = (seconds %100)%10;

//below is where the magic happens
//sends digit to: 7221 device
//digit order
//variable from above calculations
//true/false for the decimal point
   lc.setDigit(1,0,days_hundreds,false);
   lc.setDigit(1,1,days_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(1,2,days_units,false);

lc.setDigit(0,0,hours_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,1,hours_units,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,2,minutes_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,3,minutes_units,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,4,seconds_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,5,seconds_units,false);

if(sectime==15){   //wrap-around when time reaches 15 seconds
     displayWrap();
   }
   if(totalsectime <=5 ) {   //lights emitter LEDs when time reaches 5 seconds and keeps speaker solid
     updatespeaker();
     digitalWrite(emitters, HIGH);
   }
   else{
     digitalWrite(emitters, LOW);
   }

/*Below is the "reset" mode that I have worked out right now, but is due to change
   as I get more things sorted out, and this will do other things. Right now is just
   for testing/looks.*/

if(totalsectime <= 0){
     delay(2500);
     displayFade();
     genserOne();
     displayWrap();
     updatespeaker();
     totalsectime = random(16756131); 
   }   
}
if(totalsectime > 5){   //colon blink function for normal countdown
   colonBlink();
   updatespeaker();
}
}

void loop() {

displayDate();

}

If anyone recalls, I incorporated some of the code provided by Steven Genser on these forums; its kind of a novelty to have a virtual piece of the original prop included into it.

Anyways, I figured that I would post what I have here because I see Sliders Timer topics pop up once in a while that only has the usual big plans that are never realized, or just pictures of already made prop replicas. Also the forum that I was posting this stuff on seemed to die off a bit. If anyone is interested, the original post was on Xslider13's timer forums.

Hi brevik, I was wondering if there has been any updates to the source code? I am in the process of planning my build out and was wondering if the code was current. Thanks,

I don't know what the interest is on the timers from Sliders anymore, but considering that there hasn't been that much information about the reproduction of it provided online publicly, I figured that I should move all the info that I have to a thread here.

This mainly pertains to the Original Timer, but a lot of the resources can be, and will be converted for use with the other timer models.

A few files linked to Google Drive, for lack of a better place to upload files, so if there is any problem with the links or downloads, let me know.

Faceplate Design Files

Original Timer Faceplate Design PDF Files download link here.
Upon doing some tangible sizing, I see now that this version of the faceplate is going to be too short for this build of the timer presented in the post. I am leaving the source files up in case anyone wants to edit them for their project for the time being. I will be updating them with the correct sizing as soon as I have the timer closer to completion. Then I will know the actual size that the faceplate should be.

Electronic Parts List

This list is only the electronic components.

Starting from the top down:

Emitter LEDs:
High Intensity White LED
Two of these should do the trick.

Days Display:
0.3" Single Digit Display
I figured that these would work as they are slightly smaller than the main digit displays. It has been very tricky to track down a display that has three digits that fit the dimensions needed. Anyone have any other ideas?

Potentiometer (for the dial):
Sparkfun Thumbwheel Potentiometer
A thumbwheel pot is probably the best option for the knob on the original timer because of the low profile size of it. The original timer does not have much clearance under the black box, especially given that the knob is recessed into the enclosure.
I'm going to have to modify the thumbwheel to secure onto the knob, but that should be fairly simple to do.

Display drivers/multiplexers: EDIT: It seems that this link now goes to the thru-hole version of the IC, but I surface mount version will need to be used instead. Link has been updated for the SMT MAX7221 from Digikey.
MAX7219 - Eight Digit Display Driver
Two of these are needed for full functionality. I used the MAX7221, but these MAX7219's are more common and cheaper.

The main HH:MM:SS digit display:
0.36" Single Digit Display
These are single digits and should fit perfectly with the given dimensions. I am using the common cathode version because the MAX72xx chips require common cathode displays.

Colon LEDs:
Small Rectangular Red LEDs

Bargraph Displays:
10 Segment Green Bargraph Display
I like to use Sparkfun whenever I can because they have all the EagleCad libraries for all of their products, making it much easier to make a PCB design.

Tau/Zeta/Delta LEDs:

Buttons:
I've decided on which button type to use. These will work great with eh dimensions needed.
Tactile Button Switches

New: USB micro SMD Connector:
Micro USB SMD Connector
So that I can interface with the timer through the bottom port directly to the computer and reprogram the timer without having to dismantle it.

MCU:
Arduino Micro Board
The main processor for the entire rig. I chose this because its small and can just be incorporated into the design, as-is, and simplifies things a lot, and has more analogue inputs than most of the small Arduino boards.

The circuit make-up will require some resistors and some capacitors and Sparkfun has the correct types:
330 Ohm SMD Resistors
100nF SMD Capacitors
10uF SMD Capacitors
Additional update: I have added some 1k ohm surface mount resistors for the LEDs that are constantly powered on the bargraphs
You can order them in a small quantity from DigiKey.com.
Green LEDs tend to be brighter in comparison to the power provided as compared to the other LEDs.

There will also be two other types of resistors for the current resistors that go with each display driver. Each resistor type will be of different value due to using three different display types (green bargraphs, main red HH:MM:SS display, and red days display, where the days display will have a different current rating than the main HH:MM:SS display, and the two different colors, red and green, will also have different current ratings because of the color difference).
I will have those resistor ratings later and I will post links to where to get them. I have a space on the PCB to place a socket for the resistors, and I'll figure out the best current limiting resistor for the displays after getting PCB installed under the faceplate, for best brightness and power consumption.

Pictures of many of the parts:

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/18/36/28/14/bgandb10.jpg

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/18/36/28/14/displa10.jpg

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/18/36/28/14/everyt10.jpg

I've tried to keep the entire circuit as simple as possible to keep the parts list to a bare minimum. One of the huge advantages to using the MAX72xx display drivers is that the current limiting is left up to a single Rset resistor because of the nature of multiplexing. So this really reduces the component count.
Now this is just the electronic components that I have figured out so far (mostly), but some are subject to change, and some, like the buttons, aren't entirely figured out quite yet. The enclosure and cosmetic parts list will be a separate section. Hopefully some experienced timer builders may have some suggestions for additions or changes.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PCB Printing

The PCB that I have currently designed out I have currently ordered from oshpark.com and I'm waiting for it to be shipped to me.
Currently the PCB will look like this(front) and (back).
Source board files provided here.
Oshpark.com Shared Project page for the PCB here (older version without jumper connection and other improvements). : From here, you can order the most current board that I've developed so far.

Update: New board version HERE. I incorporated a line of jumper connections that connect the top of the board to the bottom, making room for better PCB wire routing. This frees up some mess in the HH:MM:SS area of the PCB enabling the proper use of through-hole component placement. I also moved the bargraphs and three LEDs down a tad to make it more screen accurate.

I kept the original PCB without jumper connection available above, but as long as everything works on the newer version, I suggest using the update version.

Current Source Code (not complete)

The source code for the MCU is not complete yet because I have to decide how I am going to manage the battery power and the on/off function of it once I have the case made, but the input/output hardware is solid, and I have a microUSB connection on the bottom of the PCB that is accessible from the battery charger port on the Motorola phone case to reprogram the MCU without having to disassemble anything.

Video of the components in action on the breadboard:

The video includes the basic functions of the program but doesn't include the input to reset the time and such. I used the Arduino platform, so the code is main in C based off of the Arduino IDE and used the Arduino LED Control library.

Code here.
Code:
#include "LedControl.h"
/*
pin 12 DataIn
pin 11  CLK
pin 10 LOAD
Two MAX7221's
*/
LedControl lc=LedControl(12,11,10,2);

//buttons and inputs
const int button0 = A0;
const int button1 = A1;
const int button2 = A2;
const int button3 = A3;
const int pot1 = A4;
const int greenpin = 5; //green LED
const int redpin = 6; //red LED
const int yellowpin = 8; //yellow LED
const int emitters = 3; //emitters are connected in serial
const int speaker = 4; //piezo
const int colons =  13; //colons are connected in serial

unsigned long totalsectime = 35; //this value is the beginning countdown time
//totalsectime will later be filled in by time set function by inputs

void setup() {
randomSeed(analogRead(A5)); //sets pin A5 as an input to generate a random number
pinMode(colons, OUTPUT);
pinMode(speaker, OUTPUT);
pinMode(emitters, OUTPUT);
pinMode(button0, INPUT);
pinMode(button1, INPUT);
pinMode(button2, INPUT);
pinMode(button3, INPUT);
pinMode(pot1, INPUT);
pinMode(greenpin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(redpin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(yellowpin, OUTPUT);

// number of devices LedControl
int devices=lc.getDeviceCount();
//init all devices in a loop
for(int address=0;address<devices;address++) {
   //take out of power saving mode
   lc.shutdown(address,false);
   // set brightness - depends on Rset values
   lc.setIntensity(0,15);
   lc.setIntensity(1,1);
   /* and clear the display */
   lc.clearDisplay(address);
   //sets the number of digits that each 7221 will scan through when multiplexing
   lc.setScanLimit(0, 6);
   lc.setScanLimit(1, 6);
}
}

//COLON BLINK FUNCTION for normal countdown 2 blink/second
int colonsState = LOW;
long previouscolonsMillis = 0;
long colonsinterval = 250;
void colonBlink(){

unsigned long currentcolonsMillis = millis();

if(currentcolonsMillis - previouscolonsMillis > colonsinterval) {
   // save the last time you blinked the LED
   previouscolonsMillis = currentcolonsMillis;  

// if the LED is off turn it on and vice-versa:
   if (colonsState == LOW)
     colonsState = HIGH;
   else
     colonsState = LOW;

// set the LED with the ledState of the variable:
   digitalWrite(colons, colonsState);
}
}

//GENSER SEQUENCE PREAMBLE
void genserOne() { 
//GEnSEr
//G 
lc.setRow(0,0,B01011110);
//E 
lc.setChar(0,1,'E',false);
//n
lc.setRow(0,2,0x15);
//S(5)
lc.setChar(0,3,'5',false);
//E
lc.setChar(0,4,'E',false);
//r
lc.setRow(0,5,0x05);

delay(400);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//random 1
lc.setRow(0,0,B01001001);

lc.setRow(0,1,B00010101);

lc.setRow(0,2,B00100011);

lc.setRow(0,3,B00000011);

lc.setRow(0,4,B01010100);

lc.setRow(0,5,B01000011);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//CAluri
//C
//A
//l(lowercase "L")
//u
//r
//i

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//4th Sequence
lc.setRow(0,0,B00100011);

lc.setRow(0,2,B01010100);

lc.setRow(0,3,B01000011);

lc.setRow(0,4,B00010011);

lc.setRow(0,5,B00011001);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//Second CAluri sequence
//C
//A
//l(lowercase "L")
//u
//r
//i

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//6th Sequence
lc.setRow(0,0,B00101010);

lc.setRow(0,2,B00011010);

lc.setRow(0,3,B01001000);

lc.setRow(0,5,B01001001);

delay(200);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(40);

//6th Sequence
lc.setRow(0,0,B00010011);

lc.setRow(0,1,B00011001);

lc.setRow(0,2,B00100010);

lc.setRow(0,3,B00011000);

lc.setRow(0,5,B00100101);

delay(250);
//clear
lc.clearDisplay(0);
delay(75);
}

void displayFade() {
//clear
delay(100);
//INSERT FUNCTION FOR DIGIT FADING AFTER ZERO
lc.setRow(0,0,B01111000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,5,B00011110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00110000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B10000000);       //0
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,1,B01111000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B01000000);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,1,B00110000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
delay(55);
lc.setRow(0,2,B01111000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,3,B01000000);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,2,B00110000);       //partially zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000110);       //partially zapped 0
delay(30);
lc.setRow(0,2,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000000);       //fully zapped 0
delay(1000);
}

void displayWrap() {
//INSERT DISPLAY WRAP
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
delay(40);
lc.setRow(0,0,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,1,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,2,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,3,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,4,B00000001);      
lc.setRow(0,5,B00000001);
}

void updatespeaker(){
static int state = 0;
static unsigned int beeptime = 250;
static unsigned int sinterval = 500;
static unsigned int freq = 2500;
static unsigned long lasttimeon = 0;
unsigned long m = millis();

if (state == -1){
   lasttimeon = m;
   state = 1;
   tone(speaker,1000);
   noTone(speaker);
   tone(speaker,1000);
   return;
}
if (state == 0){
   if (m >= lasttimeon +sinterval){
     state = 1;
     tone(speaker,freq);
     lasttimeon = m;
   }
   return;
}
if (state == 1){
   if (m >= lasttimeon + beeptime){
     noTone(speaker);
     state = 0;
     beeptime = 100;
   }
   return;
}
}

//setting up seconds time conversion
#define secondsinaday 86400  //((60*60)*24)
#define secondsinhour 3600  //(60*60)
#define secondsinminute 60

long countpreviousMillis = 0;   //stores count milliseconds   
long countinterval = 1000; //1 second

void displayDate(){

unsigned long countcurrentMillis = millis();

if(countcurrentMillis - countpreviousMillis > countinterval) {
   // save the last time counted
   countpreviousMillis = countcurrentMillis;  
   totalsectime--; //decrement of 1 second
   unsigned long sectime = totalsectime;
   /*takes the totalsectime variable and converts it inside of this function
   so that the time conversions do not interfere with the later functions */

unsigned long days = sectime/secondsinaday; //calculates seconds in a day
   sectime = sectime % secondsinaday; //takes the remainder of the previous calculation
   unsigned long hours = sectime/secondsinhour; //calculates seconds in an hour
   sectime = sectime % secondsinhour; //takes the remainder of the previous calculation
   unsigned long minutes = sectime/secondsinminute; //calculates seconds in a minute
   unsigned long seconds = sectime % secondsinminute; //takes the remainder, and that is seconds

/*below takes the values generated from above and makes variables for each digit to display
based on on dividing the values by hundreds/tens/single numbers*/

unsigned long days_hundreds = days/100;
   unsigned long days_tens = (days %100)/10;
   unsigned long days_units = (days %100)%10;

unsigned long hours_tens = (hours %100)/10;
   unsigned long hours_units = (hours %100)%10;

unsigned long minutes_tens = (minutes %100)/10;
   unsigned long minutes_units = (minutes %100)%10;

unsigned long seconds_tens = (seconds %100)/10;
   unsigned long seconds_units = (seconds %100)%10;

//below is where the magic happens
//sends digit to: 7221 device
//digit order
//variable from above calculations
//true/false for the decimal point
   lc.setDigit(1,0,days_hundreds,false);
   lc.setDigit(1,1,days_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(1,2,days_units,false);

lc.setDigit(0,0,hours_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,1,hours_units,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,2,minutes_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,3,minutes_units,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,4,seconds_tens,false);
   lc.setDigit(0,5,seconds_units,false);

if(sectime==15){   //wrap-around when time reaches 15 seconds
     displayWrap();
   }
   if(totalsectime <=5 ) {   //lights emitter LEDs when time reaches 5 seconds and keeps speaker solid
     updatespeaker();
     digitalWrite(emitters, HIGH);
   }
   else{
     digitalWrite(emitters, LOW);
   }

/*Below is the "reset" mode that I have worked out right now, but is due to change
   as I get more things sorted out, and this will do other things. Right now is just
   for testing/looks.*/

if(totalsectime <= 0){
     delay(2500);
     displayFade();
     genserOne();
     displayWrap();
     updatespeaker();
     totalsectime = random(16756131); 
   }   
}
if(totalsectime > 5){   //colon blink function for normal countdown
   colonBlink();
   updatespeaker();
}
}

void loop() {

displayDate();

}

If anyone recalls, I incorporated some of the code provided by Steven Genser on these forums; its kind of a novelty to have a virtual piece of the original prop included into it.

Anyways, I figured that I would post what I have here because I see Sliders Timer topics pop up once in a while that only has the usual big plans that are never realized, or just pictures of already made prop replicas. Also the forum that I was posting this stuff on seemed to die off a bit. If anyone is interested, the original post was on Xslider13's timer forums.

Hi brevik,
Great job on the original timer props. I have been a huge fan of yours as well as the Sliders tv show for many years. I am looking at trying to purchase a fully assembled and working sliders timer. Do you know of anyone who makes and sells replicas exactly like yours. If you do not know of anyone who sells replicas like yours, would you be up for selling one of yours, or your breadboard and Ardunio layout? Any help and direction you give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey, I know nothing of electronics but bought a motorolla microtac Lite and the parts listed out by brevik I figured I would atleast cut the cost if I cant finish it myself by getting all the parts. PT1989 did you find out if the source code on the first page was updated? Also I didnt see any speaker part for sound.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back