Simon Pegg Says Sci-Fi Is Making Us Childish

Of course much of what he said would be taken out of context. I don't condemn him entirely.

But he’s definitely seeing history through rose colored glasses. He was seven years old when Star Wars came out. I was eleven years old and a sci-fi fan at the time. I could tell you that sci-fi fantasy films I had seen up until then were films like these: The Land That Time Forgot, The Incredible Two Headed Transplant, Westworld, Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Phase IV, Giant Spider Invasion, Logan’s Run, The Thing with Two Heads, Deathrace 2000 and Beware! The Blob.

Sci-fi was not all social commentary in the 1970’s. For every Soylent Green/Silent Running/Andromeda Strain there were many more films like Invasion of the Bee Girls and countless Godzilla movies.

Until Star Wars a sci-fi fan simply accepted that every sci-fi film was defined by a single gimmicky premise, (Westworld – futuristic amusement park with robots – the rest just writes itself; Soylent Green – overpopulation and food shortage with a twist ending – the rest just writes itself; Sleeper – Woody Allen in the future – the rest just writes itself; Logan’s Run – future dystopia where young is virtue and old is vice – the rest just writes itself; The Land That Time Forgot - dinosaurs!; Phase IV - ants!)

I remember standing in line to see Star Wars in 1977 and, based on the posters and trailers, I was predicting the film’s central gimmick was going to be “robots” and that the whole film would be about robots. I was wrong. The sci-fi element of Star Wars was only part of the backdrop to actually tell a story about characters and that's what made it stand out.
(Not to mention the sci-fi aspect was to a level of sophistication not seen in 99.9% of “hard” sci-fi movies.)

Last edited:
It's a little frustrating to see a man who made his career off nerd culture and poking fun at himself being an overgrown child (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead) then started participating in the largest science fiction franchises (Star Trek, Doctor Who, presumably Star Wars) is insulting his audience while distancing himself. Reading his reaction, I have a hard time deciding what is backpeddling and what is genuine.

I think that science fiction and "comic book movies" could be both escapism and serious about societal issues.
Star Trek TOS and TNG certainly were. Although TNG was largely made for kids it was so in an educational way - which was common for kid/teen shows at the time.
What made Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back great was that it did not only have stunning visuals and was a "roller-coaster ride" but that it also had adult themes and believable characters.

The issue here is just that many blockbusters from Hollywood recently have been in the science fiction or comic book genres while having catered to the lowest common denominator. J.J Abrams' Star Trek movies fall into that category, unfortunately.

I think it is a good thing that someone involved in the next Star Trek script has thoughts along these lines. I just hope he comes to the right conclusions and is able to make something out of it.

I think he's referring to a lot of these mainstream sci-fi/fantasy films. In particular, these "name" franchises and movies. I'm not saying they can't be good, but with something like Capt. America or Iron Man, you're really not going to get a solid character drama or something that reflects the human condition. I think he wants something more from movies, period, but I don't think he worded it the way he meant to. More and more now, I leave the theaters feeling empty and slightly disgusted at how many times I have to see buildings crumble into the streets.

The movies I look forward to the most typically are small released things (cinema or stream, otherwise) that are scheduled to be released in the fall/winter season. Movies that really are a bit more adult. I wished there were more of those kinds of movies to be released intermittently all throughout the year, to offer some reprieve, but with how the system works now, where tent-pole movies seem to last all year round; I doubt that's going to happen.

I think he's referring to a lot of these mainstream sci-fi/fantasy films. In particular, these "name" franchises and movies. I'm not saying they can't be good, but with something like Capt. America or Iron Man, you're really not going to get a solid character drama or something that reflects the human condition. I think he wants something more from movies, period, but I don't think he worded it the way he meant to. More and more now, I leave the theaters feeling empty and slightly disgusted at how many times I have to see buildings crumble into the streets.

The movies I look forward to the most typically are small released things (cinema or stream, otherwise) that are scheduled to be released in the fall/winter season. Movies that really are a bit more adult. I wished there were more of those kinds of movies to be released intermittently all throughout the year, to offer some reprieve, but with how the system works now, where tent-pole movies seem to last all year round; I doubt that's going to happen.

Hallelujah.

Here's the crux of what he's saying
Now we’re essentially all consuming very childish things – comic books, superheroes. Adults are watching this stuff, and taking it seriously.

I really don't think he's talking about sci-fi in general, but the corporate junk food that is mercilessly force-fed into the multiplexes ad infinitum. Genre movies don't have to be merchandise lead and dumb as a stump, but the studios found out today's punters like 'em that way :unsure

I know a lot of adults who unashamedly enjoy superhero movies and comics. I don't know a single person who "takes them seriously." Is this an epidemic because this is news to me.

Personally, I think it's already symptomatic of a greater problem when these movies are being made/released every year with plans to continue to do so for the remainder of my adult life.

Considering most of his movies are comedies aimed at 13 year olds his argument is pretty invalid even if he's speaking of only mainstream scifi movies since he's been getting them made in hollywood for a while now.

Childish? Simon Pegg, the same man who played the comic relief in the last two Star Trek movies that had otherwise "serious" tones. The awful movie with the alien stoner.
Maybe he was high during the interview?

I must have missed his coronation as the King of geeks (thank goodness) and his opinion matters to me about as much as the opinion of a brick.

I get what he was trying to say. I think a lot of us have questioned whether we're wasting our time with this stuff, but it comes back to it being something that we really like and it makes you happy. It's not hurting anyone (unless you're neglecting your life, family, kids, etc.) so who cares? I disagree when he says scifi has nothing to inspire, etc. because if you talk to a lot of scientists and engineers they will tell you that Star Trek, SW, etc. inspired them to become what they are today. I think scifi can do all of the things he said the other movies do. There's quite a few ST and Babylon 5 episodes that made you question society, relationships, your place in the world, etc. I don't think scifi has to be seen as childish.

Which is why niimon pegg is a ****ing ******!!!!!!!!!!

i get what he was trying to say. I think a lot of us have questioned whether we're wasting our time with this stuff, but it comes back to it being something that we really like and it makes you happy. It's not hurting anyone (unless you're neglecting your life, family, kids, etc.) so who cares? I disagree when he says scifi has nothing to inspire, etc. Because if you talk to a lot of scientists and engineers they will tell you that star trek, sw, etc. Inspired them to become what they are today. I think scifi can do all of the things he said the other movies do. There's quite a few st and babylon 5 episodes that made you question society, relationships, your place in the world, etc. I don't think scifi has to be seen as childish.

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with ******?

I detect some butthurt around here.

The guy has a point. Most sci-fi/fantasy is aimed at 13-14yo kids. Whatever deeper messages or anything else that shows up, it's all running a distant second to the main purpose - escapism. When grown 30-something adults spend huge portions of their disposable income on these interests, the "escape" has become the destination for them. It's not really supposed to be that way.

Think about how someone like Simon Pegg would be experiencing the sci-fi/fantasy fanbase. He's a celeb and he sees the most extreme ends of it all. He's also starring & writing about it, which further immerses him into things. Maybe farther than most of us if you add up the amount of his waking life spent on it. All this has to be influencing his feelings & comments.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back