Shuriken

I gotta say Smooth on tech support is great. After a phone call from them I got things straightened out and feel a lot better about tackling this as my first mold. Were going to switch from their OOMOO series silicon to Mold star 30. The OOMOO does not have a very good tear resistance. The Mole Star is also a 1 to 1 mix ratio and does not need to be degassed. It is also a much higher tear strength. This will allow me to make the mold walls thinner and use less material and get quite a few more pulls from the mold.

From what I understand the 30 would give me more solid mold allowing for thinner walls. The 16 and alike is a lot more flexible for applications with deeper undercuts or recesses. I def. want to make the right choice for this application.

This is very true. I used the 16 due to the very quick cure times. Though I agree that if you want thinner walls, go with the 30.

Very nice work so far, that's a neat mould box you've made (not my favourite job when I'm moulding) if this is going to be a 2 part mould, are you planning on having pour and vent holes?

Yes. It will be poured flat with a pour hold in the middle of the body. There will also be vent holes at the high points of each leg and at the ends. I'm going to use a long pot life resin to and most likely pour into the leg vents just to make sure. I got the Smooth-on Moldstar 30 in order. I need to run a test on my molding clay
to make sure there are no bad reactions then start the mold prep. I'm guessing it's going to take a good part of the day to make sure I have a nice clean joint between the 2 mold halves.

I'm going to be pouring almost $200 worth of silicon on this mold I need to make sure everything is right. I'm gonna run a test mold with the clay on this
image.jpg
This is the AVP Shuriken closes.If everything comes out good then later I can run a cast of the open on, cut off the legs and make an AVP open Shuriken for display. Killing 2 birds with one stone.

Making the clay boarder to separate the 2 mold halves is going to be a big pain. Does anyone know of a better or easier way ???? Perhaps melt the clay an pour it ?

image.jpg

I finally got a test mold done on the clay and there were no adverse reactions. I got all the clay laid in and I'm ready to pour the first side. I ended up completely melting the clay in a toaster oven then spreading it on a board. I learned this trick on a utube video. I let it sit for a few minutes and started working with it. The clay was very soft and easily handled. I was able to press it in with no problems at all.
image.jpg image.jpg
I'm really interested to see how much of a job getting all this clay out to pour the 2nd side is going to be.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally after months of hard work I got a 2 piece Shuriken mold. Step 1 is done and I confident that this mold will create a very nice cast. All my time and research has paid off. This mold build went without a single problem. I have WIP build pics and can post if there is any interest. Here is the finished mold.
image.jpg image.jpg

I need to order some long pot life resin to cast this. I will need quite some time to pour the resin and get it into the legs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got the first 2 casting off the mold and Im not impressed ! I need to do some work to get a usable full pour. A lot of air gets trapped and needs to be vented out. The 1st pour was missing a large portion of the top side due to trapped air. The 2nd I added some vents and I was better but still missing a great deal on the top. I'm working on adding vents and figuring out a way to get ride of the trapped air. I was going to save these 2 castings and use them as wall displays but I have no time to work on such a project and thought I would offer them up to the members. These are by no means good castings but with some skill and TLC I think they would make a cool display. I would like to get $30 each +s/h. Anyone interested please PM for more info. I'm hoping to have some good casting soon.
Casting 1
image.jpg image.jpg
Casting 2
image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You may wanna do a couple brush-on "beauty coats" to each half of the mold before you do a fill. That usually ensures you have an excellent exterior to your casting.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back