Shouler puller

Brevin Din-Shay

Sr Member
This is not a classic thread about props.

This is a cry for something that, years ago, was actually stolen from me, and I need to get my hands on one again.

SHOULDER PULLER.

For those who don't know what it is, well, it is a limited edition piece of hardware that creates a "bubble" on a round tube.

You cannot re-create a Graflex-based lightsaber without it.

I really want some help with this. I had my house robbed in 2008 and never finished my lightsaber creations because of that.

Please. Any help.

- David

If you've worked with one, you know the design. Why don't you just get one remade at a machine shop? I know that may be expensive, but if you can't create a graflex lightsaber without one, I would think that would be one of the most important tools to have.

TazMan2000

I hear you, brother! I had one and loaned it to another RPF member who disappeared. Don't need one really as I haven't done the scratch-build saber thing in a long time but it would have been nice to have my property returned.

Graflex Puller Tool_01.jpg
Graflex Puller Tool_02.jpg
Graflex Puller Tool_03.jpg

That shouldn't be hard to machine. I wonder if this can be printed out if you used 100 percent infill on an FDM printer along with some screws, washers and nut.

TazMan2000

That shouldn't be hard to machine. I wonder if this can be printed out if you used 100 percent infill on an FDM printer along with some screws, washers and nut.

TazMan2000

And be strong enough to be pressed/stamped into metal? I'd be impressed.

Easily machinable however as you mentioned though.

There's been some tests lately where 4x wall thicknesses on FDM 3D prints were sufficient for a metal brake press tooling. That's only sheet metal though.

What material/thickness does this need to press?

If you've worked with one, you know the design. Why don't you just get one remade at a machine shop? I know that may be expensive, but if you can't create a graflex lightsaber without one, I would think that would be one of the most important tools to have.

TazMan2000

I have no idea how to reverse-engineer one. Any thoughts?

I have no idea how to reverse-engineer one. Any thoughts?

You can use dcarty 's pictures as a guide. The outside diameter of the graflex would correspond to the curvature of the anvil, and you would have to get the measurements of how big a bubble is on what you're making. Subtract two thicknesses of the graflex wall thickness to make the press.
The rest is just drilling holes and threading the press to accommodate the nut and washer. No machinist would do this without accurate drawings though. They don't have to be engineering drawings, but they're going to need to know thicknesses, radii, hole diameters and such.

TazMan2000

You can use dcarty 's pictures as a guide. The outside diameter of the graflex would correspond to the curvature of the anvil, and you would have to get the measurements of how big a bubble is on what you're making. Subtract two thicknesses of the graflex wall thickness to make the press.
The rest is just drilling holes and threading the press to accommodate the nut and washer. No machinist would do this without accurate drawings though. They don't have to be engineering drawings, but they're going to need to know thicknesses, radii, hole diameters and such.

TazMan2000

Thanks, bro! I will definitely look into that...we sure have a great core group.

It was designed to create the circular raised area around where a glass eye screws in on a Graflex.

Ok, so it was a tool specifically used by Graflex (and presumably other companies). I've seen similar items in tool and die shops. Making a functional replica of the tooling shouldn't be difficult. Finding an original...

dcarty, do you know the thread pitch and size of the bolt? Knowing that, I could extrapolate the rest, and machine a pretty decent replacement.

I don't have any data regarding the part I'm afraid. It's definitely a fan-made piece as it's not 100% accurate to a Graflex but it's very close. Here are some shots of a Vader RotJ stunt scratch build I started about 12 years ago (or more) and haven't ever finished. It's stainless steel tubing that I cut from a hand rail:

20191222_185502.jpg20191222_185454.jpg

This is not a classic thread about props.

This is a cry for something that, years ago, was actually stolen from me, and I need to get my hands on one again.

SHOULDER PULLER.

For those who don't know what it is, well, it is a limited edition piece of hardware that creates a "bubble" on a round tube.

You cannot re-create a Graflex-based lightsaber without it.

I really want some help with this. I had my house robbed in 2008 and never finished my lightsaber creations because of that.

Please. Any help.

- David

I have one I don't mind parting with. Send me a PM if you want it

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back