SDCC 2018 Profiles in History Luke Skywalker ANH Graflex

The funniest thing is he claims that these are EXACTLY like the original prop... but it's not in two very key areas. The D ring of course is the main one... and he's getting it all wrong. Which of course in turn is making all the prop fans get it all wrong.

Yeah, but they like drilling incorrect holes in a flash they paid over $500 for...reminds me of all the ones with 2 holes in the bottom floating around.

Given the sharp angle on one side and the slanted corner on the other side this sort-of looks like Todds Costumes T track, he specifically designed an asymmetrical profile based on some images of the Boba Fett ROTJ Blaster. it also seems like this T track was roughly hot knifed from a few sides and cleaned up heavily, leaving a heavy weathering pattern.
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 12.21.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 12.21.09 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reddit post from Christian. “Well the handles, I´ve got about 9 of the handles. I loved the shape and the feel of them, so I bought about 9 of them, which I still need to make up. I wanted to my Tstrip material right, and I´ve got the bubble-strip now for the clip. So that´s all correct now. So I can put them together”.

I dont know you, but I dont see anywhere: "Oh by the way, I have an original one I kept from production in storage!

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-06 11.49.29.png

this time his own book, cinema alchemist. By this time he still hadnt turned to dark side , so he describes his lightsabers for what they truly are, vintage graflex handles that he bought because he love the design. No production related. And his plans to dress them as he did in his originals.

View attachment 850776

For those who still think this could be an orignal production made lightsaber, there is a principle called Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor") which is the problem-solving principle that the simplest solution tends to be the right one.

Which is easier to think:

1.- This is an original lightsaber that despite been so similar to the one he recognizes as a replica (he says it in a video) , and having nothing in common (appart that was made from a graflex handle) with the production made ones, has been hidden in secret for 40 years, even when roger Christian has been in contact for years with fans, never told anyone he had an original, and despite having an original, he has been asking for help to build his replicas?.

Or

2.- This is just one of those replicas he has been telling everyone he was doing, that after seeing the price that gary kurtz last one did, he is selling now as original, and has created recently a backstory for it, saying he had it forgottten in storage, and that he made 6 originals, when he always has said that he made no more of 3?

It's very possible the PIH saber is one of the replicas.

However this saber not matching other known sabers from the film doesn't prove much to me. The sabers were just thrown together quickly with various parts that looked fairly similar. Is the stunt Obi Wan a good replica of the hero Obi Wan? They clearly didn't worry about the props being very close in appearance.

Roger may have asked fans about details because he did not have easy access to the saber even though it was in storage. If he knew this one was not used on screen and the various sabers varied, studying details of this one wouldn't help with making replicas of the screen used sabers anyway.

Many film prop builders do not pay as much attention to the details of the props or treasure them like the people on this forum do. I think it is very believable the original prop builders will not remember details of how the props were built.

If somehow all of the original props could be put together on a table, I bet many people would think some of them are not original because of inconsistencies and sloppy construction.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to prove a prop is actually from a specific project. Even if there are certain features or marks visible on screen, those features can be faked.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That's very true. The tells I usually look for are age, and sometimes prop makers have patterns in the materials they choose or ways they attach things.

Seeing the new photos in the Profiles catalog, its pretty apparent to me that the Rring in the allegued original lightsaber its same kind of this Dring that was sold in ebay last year. Doesnt look like a 40 years old Dring, and I bet its recent manufacture and design.

Any one here can identify who manufactures these Drings?

Captura de pantalla 2018-11-08 10.14.06.png

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-10 10.06.05.png

Looks like this saber is back on the auction block on December 11th, estimate of $150-200k. The quoted LOA says

“As the Academy Award winning set decorator for Star Wars: A New Hope, one of my responsibilities was to make the iconic Lightsaber
for Luke Skywalker, the one below in the picture in Tunisia is one of them I created based on the Graflex flash handle. I handmade about five to use
during the filming and the one you are buying is one of those used throughout the filming in London. This is the actual design of the Lightsaber
from A New Hope, as presented to Luke by Obi Wan Kenobi as his Father’s weapon and part of my private collection. This original design had the
bubble strip I placed in the clip, you can clearly see here and on the pictures below. Each lightsaber was hand made by me as Set Decorator, using
whatever I could lay my hands on at the time to create the T-strip for the handle, the D-ring on the end and the bubble strip. My invention of
creating the weapons, props and sets using real guns, scrap airplane parts and found objects gave Star Wars the organic reality look for the first time
in science fiction cinema. This Lightsaber below is one of the originals and it is authenticated as made by me, the maker of Luke’s Lightsaber, for
which I won the Academy Award. [Signed:] Roger Christian Oct. 2017.”

I'm curious to see what the market says. I'm skeptical, but then I usually am.

Hollywood Auction 96

Just for clarity Mark Hamill doesn't question the validity of the PIH's lightsaber up for auction like it says in the headline but merely states 'buyer beware' there was more than one original hero lightsaber used on set at the time, and goes on to say..
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 11.11.02 am.jpg

however, the question as to whether it is one of those originals is still debatable

Just for clarity Mark Hamill doesn't question the validity of the PIH's lightsaber up for auction like it says in the headline but merely states 'buyer beware' there was more than one original hero lightsaber used on set at the time, and goes on to say..
View attachment 961997
however, the question as to whether it is one of those originals is still debatable

I don’t have Twitter, but if I did I would tweet Hamill to have them send pictures of it to therpf.. we’ll prove weather or not it’s real:devil:

Like I’ve said in the other thread. Good job to everyone who was involved in contacting profiles and convincing them something was shady..

Power of therpf at its finest

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back