Screen-Used Replica Police ModelCar

JonBooster

Hi guys, I'm a model car collector and movie lover, so I thought to post my last custom built car around here.

It's a replica of a screen-used 1995 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 ex-police car, not from a specific movie, it's a generic squad car that could have fit in lots of them!

Hope you guys like it, but first, a making-of sum up:

This is how it started it, a Chicago Police Department manufactured by UT models in 1:18th scale. These models are not cheap these days, but I managed to get one at a good price:
IMG_2RTOR_zpsb2djtgoc.jpg

IMG_2RRQWKR_zpsenbgkdkf.jpg

The stock model lacks of lots of detailing, so much work to be done!

Dismantling it for a full rebuild:
IMG_20SQB2_zps4xulmpzj.jpg

Goodbye Chicago PD livery

To start with and to improve model's shape, there was really something to do with that height, it's too lowered. After taking a look at the chassis there was just one way to improve this... Clean cut to separate the rear axle from the body:
IMG_2OBQDR_zpsugbrfk3r.jpg

Fortunately the front suspension was simplier!

And this is the finished modelcar:

Img_2A42_zpsow73rwt6.jpg

I'm quite proud of the general beat-up look of the car; ferodo covered wheels,... looks like this squad car did lots of miles around LA in its good times!
sisi1.gif

Img_2A46_zps0qg1ssj2.jpg

Front pushbar, spotlight hole in the driver's door, movie prop plates (ring any bell?), correctly repainted front corner lights, moulding-free driver and passenger doors, removed cabin partition.. dust and light-rust everywhere
Img_2A35_zpssj9u9qqb.jpg

Now the ride is properly rised up, and rear axle a bit widened, you can compare here with a stock UT Caprice:
Img_2A88comparison_zps1qoq3blu.jpg

Rear view:
Img_2A30_zpsz7llt7lz.jpg

What you would see through your rearview mirror in the 90s:
Img_2A58_zpsvmqsq8nt.jpg

Interior, added details here and there:
Img_2A78_zpshwo9s9wr.jpg

Img_2A60_zps3elqx3jo.jpg

The beer can is some kind of tribute to the Bluesmobile
yahoo.gif
Probably I should have left it on the dashboard!

Not sure if you can see in this pic but I added ex-patrol unit numbers on the roof and trunk, with the effect of removed stickers:
Img_2A37_zpsujdcubab.jpg

V8 LT1 Corvette engine:
Img_2A56_zpsdmtc5g5w.jpg

Detailed, weathered and wired:
Img_2A52_zps0vivknft.jpg

Undercarriage; most of the dual exhaust system is new, UTmodels somehow installed a single exhaust system as the non-LT1 model had...
Img_2A01_zpsacyhy5js.jpg

Bonus photo, had to be done:
meparto.gif

Img_2A91bigbossman_zpsbnejfk1m.jpg

And that's it! I may upload more photos as I take them. It's a pity the trunk is not functional, I worked out something to make it workable but it was going to complicate so much the project..

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks for looking! Now this is a nice addition to any movie related shelf!

looks awesome and i agree changing the ride-height was a good idea. Weathering is good too. probably the only other improvement i can see is it needs the pins behind the headlights to be removed. you can get away with cutting them off and sanding the plastic to hide the stem. if you wanted them back to clear you would need to polish out the sanding marks, then glue them in with clear glue. oh, you'd also have to fill the hole in the reflector.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back