Screen used props - shipping via UPS...

Cave_Troll

Not sure if this is the right section or not so apologies if it is not. I am shipping a valuable screen used prop via UPS from the UK to the US and wondered if anyone knows whether they will honour/cover it should it get damaged in transit. It is double-boxed but it is an expensive and rare item and I couldn't afford to take the hit if the worst came to the worst. I know it is unlikely but there is always a chance, however slim.
I couldn't find anything about shipping props in their terms and conditions but, when I rang them up, the guy said that it would be classed as a unique item and therefore would not be covered. However, I've phoned places before and had different responses to the same question and wondered if anyone knew for sure either way?
Many thanks in advance.

No commercial shipper is going to care if the item you shipped was unique, OOAK, or irreplaceable. They will want proof of value in the event your item is lost, and that is all they will pay. They really are not going to care if you and the receiver consider it rare or priceless.

From the UPS site
UPS Declared Value Q&A - UPS Pressroom
Q. What about hard-to-value items? How does UPS determine the value of heirlooms, antiques, etc.?

A. A proof of value must be provided. This proof may come in the form of an invoice, sales receipt, appraisal, or value of a “like” item that can be verified. UPS cannot reimburse for “sentimental value” whose value cannot be determined.

It is kinda worse if the item is damaged. Then you have to prove that it was damaged, prove that it was their fault by showing all packaging as it was delivered, get an estimate for cost of repairs, and you, the sender, have to do all that even though the receiver has the damaged package and item because you are the one who made the contract for services with the shipper.

UPS Damaged Package Claims Process

So unless you can hire a private courier or fly over here with it yourself, make sure you have the kinds of proof of value the shipper would require and try to make sure the person receiving the package is willing and able to aide you every step of the way should filing a claim for damages become necessary and not give you flack for something not your fault :)

Good luck with it. Always so scary to let something like that out of your hands!

Shylaah

Many thanks for that. I spent ages looking on their site but couldn't find out exactly what they do and don't cover so I don't know if they are deliberately vague so it allows them a bit of 'interpretation'...

My past experience with them is that it is very difficult to get them to cover a damaged item even if you have all of the documentation they require. The insurance is close to useless (maybe others have had better experiences).

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back