Scratch building to the EXTREME

I am stunned. Enthralled. Humbled. That man is a master craftsman, an artisan to the Nth degree. Never have I seen such beautiful work.
If I ever had the money to procure one of these masterpieces, though, I would have to request that he leave it bare metal. The paint work, while flawless, actually detracts from the finished piece. And that it the only thing "wrong" I see about his work.

Brian

There's a guy who does Spitfires the same way.

And they fly.

OK...I made up the last bit. :)

Well, he didn't make a scale key to go into the ignition, or pistons that fit into the cylinders that attach to the crankshaft. So this thing will never run. ...But it looks pretty.

That is a life time achievement that any modeler would be proud of.

That's some incredible skill and crafstmanship.Amazing what one can do with a couple metal working machines like a lathe and the propper "know how".Certainly not something one can learn to do over night,even if you are an able machinist.

From what I remember reading about the Ferrari build, he has built 2 or 3 others since then.

There was a site with lots of construction photos.

There is also a Dentist in Hawaii that builds all metal aircraft with moving parts (F4U Corsair and P-51 D)

D6

That is a Master Craftsman in every meaning of the word. One rarely sees this kind of artwork anymore. Miniature re-creation. Exact in every way. Amazing!

Great thread! (y)cool:thumbsup

I've seen builds like this before. I really don't enjoy looking at them because they simply leave my head swimming, and hurting.

I cannot even begin to fathom what it takes to do that.

Yup. I've got a Pocher Alfa-Romeo Monza half built, that hurts my head plenty. One of these Bentleys, or the Ferrari, or the planes - they're almost as much an engineering project as a live-steam model loco. I don't finish PLASTIC models, I can't imagine even making a dent in something like this!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back