Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

The Revell Germany kits for ROTS Were actually really good, though I think they used box scale. I'd consider the Venator Star Destroyer one of the best SW kits ever made.

Mmmm... I see that as damning with faint praise. Or the old saying about a broken clock. The Venator is certainly one of the best Revell Star Wars kits (I'd still rank the Kylon Ren shuttle as slightly higher in terms of detail and accuracy), but still pales compared to Bandai's anything. It's definitely a good size. The ROTS Arc-170 needs plenty of love to be good and I'd argue the Ertl Jedi starfighters were better than the Revell versions.

I want R2's new kits to be great. They just have a very high bar of expectations to clear now that we know what Bandai can do. Soft or wrong details are just not going to cut it anymore. Halfhearted research is not going to cut it. Mediocre quality definitely won't cut it. I certainly don't envy them. Compared to Bandai, R2 is like the band waiting in the wings to perform after Queen at Live Aid 1985. Like who in world wants to follow THAT?!?! :lol:

I want R2's new kits to be great. They just have a very high bar of expectations to clear now that we know what Bandai can do. Soft or wrong details are just not going to cut it anymore. Halfhearted research is not going to cut it. Mediocre quality definitely won't cut it. I certainly don't envy them. Compared to Bandai, R2 is like the band waiting in the wings to perform after Queen at Live Aid 1985. Like who in world wants to follow THAT?!?! :lol:

The new 1/48 and 1/72 Space 1999 Eagle and the 1/72 Hawk have excellent details and from what I can tell have great accuracy as well.

I remember reading the blogs and they did some pretty extensive research even going as far as having two different toolings for the difference in details between the original Eagle and the second one

Plus, they will not be doing the "mold in color" snap fit that Bandai does. That greatly reduces the engineering required and the complexity of the molds needed as well as the number of molds. Instead of having dozens of parts for an x-wing fuselage they can get away with just two halves for example. And we would not be stuck with unseemly gaps as they could divide the parts more naturally instead of where colors change

The new 1/48 and 1/72 Space 1999 Eagle and the 1/72 Hawk have excellent details and from what I can tell have great accuracy as well.

I remember reading the blogs and they did some pretty extensive research even going as far as having two different toolings for the difference in details between the original Eagle and the second one

Plus, they will not be doing the "mold in color" snap fit that Bandai does. That greatly reduces the engineering required and the complexity of the molds needed as well as the number of molds. Instead of having dozens of parts for an x-wing fuselage they can get away with just two halves for example. And we would not be stuck with unseemly gaps as they could divide the parts more naturally instead of where colors change

All true. Though I would add that even though Bandai does the multi-color snap kit thing, the work one has to do to seal those gaps tight or minimize them pales in comparison to the kind of surgery required of past kits to just get them even in the ballpark of accurate. I've built X-Wings by Bandai, Fine Molds, Revell, and Ertl. The Bandai is still the easiest, most accurate, and has the sharpest detail.

All credit to R2 for stepping up with their more recent kits. I think that it likely a reflection of what they see Bandai doing and having a better awareness of what we as modelers want in our sci-fi kits. If they can match Bandai's attention to detail, I'll be first to admit it and fork over my kids' college funds for their kits.

The Revell Germany kits for ROTS Were actually really good, though I think they used box scale. I'd consider the Venator Star Destroyer one of the best SW kits ever made. If they wanted to reissue a kit, the Venator is at the top of my list. I had one and sold it for a big profit figuring it will get re-released.
The Venator was an awesome kit! It looked good straight out of the box and was an excellent starting point for customization! All it was missing was a stand. It'd definitely be on my list if it were to be rereleased!

I'm expecting that R2 will repop the wierdo box scale kits with some updated details. But I really worry that their original stuff, say a TIE Bomber, will be "box scale," too, to match the old MPC kits. Please, R2: use a real modeling scale. 1/72, 1/48, 1/144
And please, give us a TIE Bomber, Lambda shuttle, and a Ghost.

I'm expecting that R2 will repop the wierdo box scale kits with some updated details. But I really worry that their original stuff, say a TIE Bomber, will be "box scale," too, to match the old MPC kits. Please, R2: use a real modeling scale. 1/72, 1/48, 1/144
And please, give us a TIE Bomber, Lambda shuttle, and a Ghost.
Their new stuff has been real scales: 1/2500, 1/1000, 1/350, 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 etc.

Well, not happy at all. Hope Bandai retain the licence.

Just because Round 2 has been given a license, doesn't mean Bandai loses theirs...

Bandai has a license to produce models in Japan. Looks like Round 2 has a license for USA, so they can both coexist.

Sean

Just because Round 2 has been given a license, doesn't mean Bandai loses theirs...

Bandai has a license to produce models in Japan. Looks like Round 2 has a license for USA, so they can both coexist.

Sean

Absolutely

The real question is whether BlueFin brands can still import Bandai stuff, or does the Round 2 license trump that?

And if BlueFin can no longer import Bandai Star Wars kits, will Bandai consider keeping the license just for the Japanese market worth it?

That would probably depend on their sales in that market. They have repops planned for April.

At this point we do not know when the Round 2 license takes effect, and if that is an exclusive license for North America that shuts the door on BlueFin/Bandai or for that matter Revell USA importing Revell of Germany's kits like the 1/72 Razor Crest etc...

R2's new equity investment partners have every incentive to try to maximize their returns by using exclusive licenses to protect their sales. They are not in the hobby/model business, they are in the making money business. And if you can make more money by boxing out the competition (like Revell tried and failed to do to Bandai) then they will try it. Of course they will. They answer to their investors. I'd love to believe in the virtues of the "free market," but if you think R2's new owners aren't going to try to create a playing field where they 'compete' by being the only team on the field then I have some Gamestop stock to sell you.

R2's new equity investment partners have every incentive to try to maximize their returns by using exclusive licenses to protect their sales. They are not in the hobby/model business, they are in the making money business. And if you can make more money by boxing out the competition (like Revell tried and failed to do to Bandai) then they will try it. Of course they will. They answer to their investors. I'd love to believe in the virtues of the "free market," but if you think R2's new owners aren't going to try to create a playing field where they 'compete' by being the only team on the field then I have some Gamestop stock to sell you.

According to a Facebook post from Revell many moons ago, they had nothing to do with shutting down Bandai.

Either Disney enforced it, or speculation is that Hasbro spearheaded it
It did happen right around the same time Hasbro forcibly acquired/shut down the Fantasy Flight Games Imperial Assault game because they considered it to fall into the board game category, not the table top miniature game. In addition Bandai was allowed to distribute through BlueFin, but if you remember, they initially could not import the figure kits as well as removing the 3D figures from the vehicle kits. Again speculation being that it was on the basis of having too much competition for the Black Series and possibly even the MicroMachine series (which was close in size to the vehicle figures)

Regardless of who may or may not have complained to Disney, it ultimately was Disney draconian licensing that cause the issues

It is also up to Disney to decide to whether to grant an exclusive license if there is one to be had, not Round 2

Remember, while Revell USA was producing/releasing Star Wars kits, BlueFin was still able to import Bandai vehicle kits and eventually extended that license to the figure model kits, although I think that may have been a more limited list. For example, I am not sure if they ever were able to import the SpeederBike or the STAP among a few others

So unless Disney has renegotiated the terms of the Bandai/BlueFin license, they should still be able to import (at least for now)

When that license renews however may be a different story. For all we know it may have already been done.

Unfortunately with lack of any press releases from BlueFin or Bandai we have to wait and see how long US retailers are able to restock Bandai kits through BlueFin

Last edited:
According to a Facebook post from Revell many moons ago, they had nothing to do with shutting down Bandai.

That's what they said...

Based on the timing of the entire incident and how quickly Bluefin was permitted to distribute, I am admittedly more cynical about how it all went down. I'm hoping for the best but won't be surprised by the worst.

R2's "new" tool kits have been exceptional for the last decade. The repops they have done usually with some bit retooled have been "good" repops. I would expect them to follow the same strategy they followed for Star Trek and Space 1999... several repops of old favs followed by a new tool of something Medium to big. Followed by repops and new tools of medium to small kits.

On my personal list is a Repop of the Tydirium with a fixed Neck and Cockpit... I'd buy that in a second. The original X-wing, with decal sheets to decorate as any red squadron ship, and the squadrons from Mando seems like a no brainer. A repop of the Slave 1 seems equally likely. They would likely sell a ton of 1/48 Y-wings... or (gasp) a Y-wing in scale with the old X-wing - whatever that works out to be (Close to 1/40 IIRC). The SD with some upgraded trenches would be a good one... there are lots of possibilities - as well as lots of things they haven't done before... which is probably why the license still has value to them - lots of "good" subjects yet to be done, and a solid base of reissues that can make almost free money for them.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do :D

Jedi Dade

I think it was due to the Bluefin deal. If HLJ and others can import the kits, there was less 'meat on the bone' for Bluefin.

I don't understand these things sometimes. No one is paying top dollar for a model kit to get a figure to 'play with', which is the market for MicroMachines (which are not model kits). Its like saying someone can't import oranges because it impinges on the sales for baseballs... lawyers!
Stupid.
Regards, Robert

I don't understand these things sometimes. No one is paying top dollar for a model kit to get a figure to 'play with', which is the market for MicroMachines (which are not model kits). Its like saying someone can't import oranges because it impinges on the sales for baseballs... lawyers!
Stupid.
Regards, Robert

Bandai may have been overly cautious, or maybe they were forced to as part of the license. All I know is it took extra time for BlueFin to get the ability to include the Figure model kits

Disney rules with an iron fist when it comes to licensing and copyright. Queue the stores of them forcing daycare centers to remove wall paintings of MIckey Mouse for example.

So telling a model company they can't include a tiny "Action Figure" in their vehicle model kits is totally in Disney's wheelhouse

Frankly, in today's global economy and with the ease of buying online, regional licensing feels like joke

So even if Round 2 has an "exclusive" license, it is fairly trivial to skirt the normal channels and just go to E-Bay or proxy address services etc...

Regardless of what type Round 2 has, I am looking forward to both repops as well as new kits from them

Disney rules with an iron fist when it comes to licensing and copyright. Queue the stores of them forcing daycare centers to remove wall paintings of MIckey Mouse for example.

I have a copyright lawyer friend who explained the Disney daycare stuff to me. Basically, there is a legal argument that goes something like 'if you don't defend your copyright in all cases you open yourself to others claiming your copyright as their own under fair use.' In other words, other companies can claim 'well, Disney didn't sue those daycare centers so that means I can make these knockoff Mickey Mouse dolls in Banglasdesh.' Disney is unique in that the majority of its value as a company is in its intellectual property (so it has every motivation to protect it), deep pockets to defend it (so it will), and a lot to lose if it doesn't.

Disney is rough!! I received a cease and desist letter from them over a Baby Yoda drawing I had in my Etsy store, it referred to Intellectual property, and it wasn’t friendly at all so couldn’t imagine how they treat big companies. I was in the wrong, but it was an aggressive letter.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back