Ron Moore's BSG "Bible"

I think the story works just as well without the flashbacks. The character arc's are just as complete with the flashbacks.

At the very least these flashbacks had little or nothing to do with the overall story... they were pretty self contained and had no immediate implications on the story going on in the episode.

I don't disagree with this either, actually. They weren't essential to the story. You got just as much a sense of completion out of the characters' progressions without them as you would with them. But I think they helped flesh the characters out a bit further. It wasn't essential to include them, but I thought it added nicely.

I still hold my opinion that the flashbacks were a cheat, but I do understand why they were done.

Yeah, that's why I hate Casablanca, Rashomon, Midnight Cowboy and Godfather II. Too many flashbacks.

And have you guys seen Citizen Kane? The whole thing is just one big flashback! What was that Welles guy thinking?

:rolleyes

The flashbacks in BS:G work beautifully. Without them the series climax would not have the emotional resonance it does.

The way some of you refer to "the characters" it's as if you regard them as some sort of spare part that required an annoying degree of unnecessary maintenance. In fact, the characters were the reason the show worked as well as it did.

That and Six's dress.

And have you guys seen Citizen Kane? The whole thing is just one big flashback! What was that Welles guy thinking?

If you're going to go down this form of logic, you might as well say that I hate all actors because I didn't like Hayden Christiansen's acting in the Star Wars movies.

There's nothing wrong with having personnel taste. God knows I would love it if the "Appeal to the mass audience" tactic were to just go away. If you like the flashbacks in the BSG finale, I won't say you shouldn't. But than again, there's nothing wrong in saying that if you're going to give your characters one big final episode, even with flashbacks, it feels like a disservice that they didn't have these moments in the actual show. For me, you can have anything go on in a flashback to affect how the character is doing what he/she is doing. That's one of the reasons why I quit LOST halfway through the first season.

The way some of you refer to "the characters" it's as if you regard them as some sort of spare part that required an annoying degree of unnecessary maintenance. In fact, the characters were the reason the show worked as well as it did.

And if you read my earlier posts, it was the characters of BSG that turned me off from the show from the getgo. They were all a%&holes that I didn't care about.

if you're going to give your characters one big final episode, even with flashbacks, it feels like a disservice that they didn't have these moments in the actual show.

So, if I understand correctly, the only dramatically valid flashback is one that revisits a moment we've already seen?

Not trying to be a smartass here; just trying to understand.

if you read my earlier posts, it was the characters of BSG that turned me off from the show from the getgo. They were all a%&holes that I didn't care about.

Yeah, I read your post, and I understand you thought the characters were a%&holes. No one is trying to convince you to like characters you don't like.

I for one could care less how "likable" a character is. Richard III, Alex DeLarge, Michael Corleone, Tony Montana and Al Swearengen are all a%&holes. They're also really interesting, watchable, compelling characters.

Point being that a%&holes sometimes make for good drama.

So, if I understand correctly, the only dramatically valid flashback is one that revisits a moment we've already seen?

Not trying to be a smartass here; just trying to understand.

Yeah, I read your post, and I understand you thought the characters were a%&holes. No one is trying to convince you to like characters you don't like.

I for one could care less how "likable" a character is. Richard III, Alex DeLarge, Michael Corleone, Tony Montana and Al Swearengen are all a%&holes. They're also really interesting, watchable, compelling characters.

Point being that a%&holes sometimes make for good drama.

A$$holes, given a chance to evolve, can also become some of the best characters.

For example, I hated Lee in the mini. I thought he was an obnoxious little snot who REALLY needed to get over himself, but by the end of the regular series, I really came to care about him and his development as a character.

For example, I hated Lee in the mini. I thought he was an obnoxious little snot who REALLY needed to get over himself, but by the end of the regular series, I really came to care about him and his development as a character.

That's how I felt about Starbuck. At first, I couldn't believe they made her a girl. Then she annoyed me because she was so obnoxious and kind of a B-yatch. When she cried, I thought "meh, you deserve it." Then, darn it, I kept tuning in to see if she'd knock the colonel on his fanny again or get thrown in the brig or what she was up to. No idea why I liked her. She is not stunning like Boomer, willowy like Six, scenery chewer like the T's wife...SB just became this...guilty pleasure...

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 1.37.53 PM.png

How did I ever manage to miss the existence of this thread? I would very much like to see the show bible! (I'm actually currently working on something together with a few folks, where the info contained might be educational and useful.)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back