Roaring P1 model kit

Any updates Matt??? I'd imagine it being hard painting small details on that thing. You'll have to show me how you do it sometime!

Yep Branden, sure do have some updates. And its not bad painting small details, as long as you have a very fine brush and a steady hand.

Alright, so I got this thing primered, then added a base flesh color (didnt get a pic), then added a layer of orange and gave the armor a base coat of silver...
SANY0143.jpg.gif

The orange was way to bright the first time so I just went over it with brown, lighter in spots to make it blend better. Also gave the cloth and straps a base of brown, and painted the dreads...
SANY0144.jpg.gif

SANY0145.jpg

Im pretty mush done with the airbrushing part. Gonna work on the fine details tonight, like spots and armor damage.

Look, recast or not, I don't really care. I got it cheap and that's all that matters to me.

As much as you don't want this to turn in to a recasters are evil thread etc, you sure don't look like you were ignorant of it's origins nor do you seem remorseful of purchasing a recast. Had you purchased it not knowing what a recast was, that's fine, but seeing as you clearly don't seem confused by the term recast and you state that all that matters to you is getting it cheap, then I'm with Chris on this one and have to say that's a pretty ****** attitude to have as a kit builder and is not something this community supports. I am an extremely strong supporter of the garage kit community and I don't want to see recast junk like that being flaunted around on here. You can keep this build going and we'll assume this was an accident and now that you know there is no tolerance for kit recasts on this forum, you won't be posting any more buildup threads featuring recasts.

Thanks!
Dan

PS. Just an FYI all dark horse kits are resin, in fact any Predator kit in vinyl is a recast except the P2 kit from Halycon and the 2 Billiken predator kits and perhaps a couple others. That's why the casting on your DH kit looks like a melted bar of soap and it's a shame to waste your painting talents on a WAY sub-par casting job.

Hey Dan, I want to make it clear that I am in no way indorsing recasters. Being new to the predator community I haven't seen all of the model kits that are out there or know who makes them. I pretty much just know Narin and the models that he makes, so when I spot them on ebay I know they are recast. Now the case here, I have never seen this kit before so I didn't know it was a recast. But having said that, I agree with you that I am not remorseful for buying it, because I've already spent the money, no going back now. But I know in the future to not buy from that seller anymore. I also bought another kit, which is a 20" elder bust, but seeing as I got it from the same person I will not post a build thread on it.

Hey Dan, I want to make it clear that I am in no way indorsing recasters. Being new to the predator community I haven't seen all of the model kits that are out there or know who makes them. I pretty much just know Narin and the models that he makes, so when I spot them on ebay I know they are recast. Now the case here, I have never seen this kit before so I didn't know it was a recast. But having said that, I agree with you that I am not remorseful for buying it, because I've already spent the money, no going back now. But I know in the future to not buy from that seller anymore. I also bought another kit, which is a 20" elder bust, but seeing as I got it from the same person I will not post a build thread on it.

Sounds good, if ever you're not sure about a kit and want to know if it's the real deal or not, feel free to post in here and I am sure someone will chime in right away to help you out. Really appreciate it and keep up the paint work :)

Dan

Hey, don't feel bad. The same thing happened to me when I was starting out - I even ended up getting the same Dark Horse Predator kit!

I still have that piece of junk sitting on a shelf. I learned a lot from painting it up. I won't throw it out because I paid for it and I won't sell it because recasts are crap compared to an original kit and I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that kit. Now I pretty much buy original Hayes or Narin kits exclusively from reputable dealers. The quality of these kits is just amazing compared to my recast.

So, learn from your mistakes and buy the real deal. I don't regret a single original kit I've bought.

Your kit is looking good (I don't even have an airbrush) and I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Thanks Destroyer for the encouragement.

Well, I added the spots on the legs tonight (seeing crosseyed now) and gave the shin pieces some weathering.
SANY0149.jpg

SANY0155.jpg

Very nice work!!! Have fun painting that netting!
What was said earlier about vinyl sagging, oh boy does it! When I first started vinyl modeling, doing the Horizon superhero kits, I slowly watched Cable and Thor do a nose dive over a hot summer. Lesson learned, now I fill the kits with Rock Hard Putty... sometimes just the legs, or sometimes the entire body, if I am feeling frisky. Sturdy as hell, but hefty too! I always make sure to anchor them to some sort of base, to keep em extra sturdy!!

You can still add some anchor to your model,open one of the bottom foot of your model and fill it up with some epoxy paste and put one pin on the bottom of the foot you filled it up with epoxy paste.So now you can find some woodbased and its alot easyer to handle and paint.And you can also use this base to make a little diorama . Keep going

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back