Ridley Scott Prometheus: NOT the Alien Prequel Details

Dont forget the scene in Alien where Dallas is up close with the Jocky in the chair, a very different scale to the shot with the kids in the suits, They both conflict to the scale of the Jocky, one was for visual effect only and the close up was for story telling. THe Jocky head in Prometheus is very much in scale with the close up with Dallas examining the remains.

A lot of people keep referring back to Alien and Alien is full of continuity errors, its not meant to be dissected in this way, its in our nerdy nature to pick it apart, this in turn ls a futile part of being critical of Jocky dims and size. The only thing we didn't think would happen would be turning them into big teddybears :)

For others more interested in the overall myth aspect of the story.

Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

I watched the film and loved it. No, it's not perfect and I couldn't relate to a lot of the character's personalities or reactions to events. Then again, The Fifth Element was full of bizarre character quirkiness that wasn't believable and it is still a favorite of mine so I can live with that.

I can't be 100% sure of what the engineers true motives are for creating human life. But I think it would be interesting if it turns out they didn't create us for their own entertainment, but rather their ensured survival. Perhaps they messed up or they are somehow a dying species and we were designed as a missing element to grant (or re-grant) their immortality - a parallel to Weyland's quest.

In any case, they didn't make very good "engineers" after all. At least not of weapons anyway. They're constantly getting killed off by everything they design. If that's the goal, well then maybe they are THAT good.

In any case, they didn't make very good "engineers" after all. At least not of weapons anyway. They're constantly getting killed off by everything they design. If that's the goal, well then maybe they are THAT good.[/spoiler]

I think that is another theme. The creation destroys the creator.

And I have a feeling that the weapons turning on the weapon makers is a larger story that may involved sabotage, and wide spread panic in their society. Just a hunch.

I just wanted to defend my space jockey size comment. Maybe not 27' tall, but they should have made them much larger in Prometheus. The arm alone had to be at least 6' long in ALIEN. And it was very lanky, not at all to the proportions of a human. Here are some images for reference:

jocky.jpg

*note, these are to scale. I've drawn in the rest of his legs and feet since you can't see them in the photo.

jockyarm.jpg

Even using the child size suites in this scene, it's unmistakably larger than what we get in Prometheus. I would have so loved to have seen something on this scale, or at least close to it.

(sorry for the huge pics)

jockycompare.jpg

It's not a suit.....

You don't want it to be a suit. I don't want it to be a suit. I want it to be an incredibly alien "thing" that's both alive and a physical component of the ship. (Not entirely unlike the Cylon hybrids from Galactica, only a lot weirder.)

But it's a guy. In a suit. And he would have gotten away with it too, if not for these pesky kids and their pet robot.

Last edited:
That image up there has empty eye sockets and a jaw bone. Not a suit.

Like I said in another thread, I say the Engineers just made a suit so they resemble the real owners of the ship, to be able to use it.

Well, it is a different ship than the one in Prometheus. Maybe there is something different inside this exosuit than the one in Prometheus. There are noticeable differences other than size. Maybe it was all intentional after all. Or Ridley just took liberties because he wanted to. lol

I'm sure we will get an answer to the freak mutant giant space jockey in Prometheus 2.0
What I want to know is what is he holding in his hand? Is that his junk? Oh the humanity. It fell off, then some mutant parasite from last nights dinner ripped through him.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back