Revisiting D&D...

joeranger

Sr Member
As a teenager in the late 70s I played this game for countless hours. one of my college sons who I'm quarantining with now started playing it at school. I'm wondering if I can get the whole family to play. Has anyone recently started playing? Has anyone gotten their wife to play??? We are running out of board games and puzzles.
IMG_20200416_185456.jpg

Depending on how deep you want to go, and what your family's preference on digital assisted things is, but you can go sign up to D&D beyond, buy all the books digitally, (or as many as you want) and share them amongst the folks you're playing with (those in your "campaign"). they can read the rules, and use all the abilities and stats from them in the digital character builder that's a part of the system. The character builder also is a character tracker while you play; HP, feats, abilities, spell slots used, etc. Works from computers or other devices like phones or tablets (phone is a little small to use though, but doable).

Or, you can order a copy or two of the player handbook, the Dungeon master's guide, and go from there.

Thanks everyone. Might be a moot point if I can't get my wife to play. She is pretty sure that sh will never play D&D. She actually can't believe that she married such a nerd:)

Thanks everyone. Might be a moot point if I can't get my wife to play. She is pretty sure that sh will never play D&D. She actually can't believe that she married such a nerd:)

Tell her to watch, and ask her to provide Mystery Science Theater style commentary on the absurdity of what she observes in the game... she'll have rolled up a bard to play in no time...

Last edited:

It's all how you frame it.

Focus on the storytelling and educational aspects of it (improving math and problem-solving skills, teaching empathy by allowing everyone to 'walk in another person's shoes', etc.).

Also, pointing out that actual educational settings are using it as a teaching tool might help:

D&D or any role playing game really can be played endlessly, as long as the Game master and the players have good imaginations. make up the framework of a story, and with the players "write" the details of the story. it can literally go for years on the same story - or switch it up whenever you feel that story has reached its end. whatever you guys "like".

Jedi Dade

I think the 'stigma' is form the name! LOL

Call it something else.. and your wife will be tricked (easier) :)

I just dug up some old original hardcover books I had in the basement! Straight from the 80's! :)

D&D or any role playing game really can be played endlessly, as long as the Game master and the players have good imaginations. make up the framework of a story, and with the players "write" the details of the story. it can literally go for years on the same story - or switch it up whenever you feel that story has reached its end. whatever you guys "like".

Jedi Dade
My brothers and I played a Forgotten Realms campaign in the 80s/90s for almost ten years. The oldest (DM) found all the folders and wants to pick up where we left off playing over Skype. I just found a binder with 3 of my characters' adventure logs, dated in and out of the gaming universe! :cool:(y)

I was into D&D (AD&D back then) in the late 80s/early 90s, but got out of it by probably 1993 or '94. That said, from about 1987 to 1993ish, I was into it. Mind you, I only played the CRPGs back then (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds), but I had the books that I'd picked up at a yard sale, and my folks got me the 2nd edition stuff when it came out for Christmas. I never got the chance to play, though, because there weren't many kids in my neighborhood, and none of my friends knew how to run the game.

Fast forward to January 2019, and I started hosting a 5th Edition game at my house with about 6 other people. We had a friend DM for us, and played through a year-long campaign, meeting monthly. This January, I took over as DM and began running a 5th ed. campaign, which was meeting monthly until the lockdown, and now meets weekly via Roll20 (online site for hosting games, if you hadn't heard of it).

I've only been using it for about a month or so, but I really like Roll20, at least for use with D&D 5E. It's really well set up, and it has some solid functionality that actually makes running the game even faster than it would be in person (e.g., no need to look things up, online initiative tracker, etc.). I still prefer in-person, but Roll20 is a solid alternate choice. If you shell out some cash, you can get the books online via Roll20, and then integrate them into your game. You don't need to do this, but it makes actually running the game waaaaay faster, because you can just drag and drop stuff into the game, or use the built-in search engine to look up a rule quickly. If anyone has questions about Roll20, feel free to ask. I'm happy to offer what insights I can.

The group I play with is 4 folks who are 40-something parents with little kids (like, 5 and younger), a not-quite 60-something with grown kids, and the roommate of the babysitter I use for my kid (who was our previous DM). All of us were new to 5th Edition, having played a mix of Basic/Expert, 1st ed., 2nd ed., 4th ed., and 3/3.5/Pathfinder previously. I like 5th ed. overall. I'd prefer to play the older version (but am working that into my campaign, if we ever get far enough), but 5th is a solid game that, so far, is pretty easy to run. I find it helped that I started as a player, because that got me familiar with the system,.

I think you can potentially get anyone into it as long as they enjoy the overall style of game (i.e., people sitting around a table, pretending, describing their actions, and rolling dice to adjudicate the outcomes). That style isn't for everyone. My wife has no interest in it. But if your family is desperate for new stuff to do, it can work pretty well. That said, if you can get into the style/mechanics of the game, you can tailor it to basically be whatever you want or whatever your players want. Hack-and-slash dungeon crawl? No problem. Roleplay-heavy social interaction with the occasional combat sprinkled in? Sure! Puzzle-solving game? That, too. It's all possible. It also doesn't have to be your standard fantasy setting, either. You can probably find conversions of the system for all manner of settings and styles. It's pretty adaptable.

Check out the Lost Mine of Phandelver module and the basic 5th ed. rules if you want to give them a taste of things. The basic rules are free to download, as is the module, I believe. If it isn't, it's a pretty small investment. $20 for the Starter Set on Amazon, I believe. There are also a bunch of free adventures you can download elsewhere and, hey, if you want, I'm happy to forward the "module" I designed for the adventure I just ran. I'd need to tweak it a little before sending it (there was stuff in there that's only relevant to my larger campaign that I'd remove), but it works pretty well as a basic, sort of sandbox starter adventure for levels 1-4, provided you use milestone XP (i.e., instead of having encounters that have a set XP value, you award new levels when you feel that the players have accomplished something sufficient to warrant a level increase). Happy to talk through how I handle that as well, if you want. Really, just toss out whatever questions you have, and I'll be happy to offer my take as a new DM and player of 5e.

Separate from D&D, you might also want to check out the West End Games version of the Star Wars roleplaying game. The books were just re-released by Fantasy Flight Games, but you can find the originals pretty cheap on Ebay. The game uses nothing but standard d6 dice, the rules are meant to be pretty fast-and-loose as opposed to "crunchy" (e.g., it's a lot more about just describing what you do than "Well, I get a +2 to my roll if I use this weapon, and if you cast Hunter's Mark that gives me an additional +3, plus I get to attack with advantage because I'm flanking, so...").

I think the 'stigma' is form the name! LOL

Call it something else.. and your wife will be tricked (easier) :)

I just dug up some old original hardcover books I had in the basement! Straight from the 80's! :)

That stigma has largely disappeared. It still exists for older generations, but tons of kids play the game now. It's gotten a lot more popular. I think Stranger Things helped some.

That was in reference to the 'wife' that still doesnt want to play it.

Obviously Stranger Things didnt help. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back