Retro Raygun * Now with display stand on page 2

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello, I wanted to share a recent project I just completed. After being massively inspired by DARK SABER and his work in this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/retro-steampunk-raygun-finished-showoff-thread-34863/

I set out to make my own full-metal raygun. I took several ideas from that project. But as I set out to the junkstores I quickly realized I had to wing it based on what found pieces I could find.

I don't think I'll spoil the illusion by telling you what every part is. I will tell you I'm pretty proud of the solid Cherry wood grip I carved. And the emitter tip became a project in itself. It is completely scratch built.

As far as the design goes, I wanted to have a thirties or forties serial sci-fi look to the gun. Nothing against a more steampunk aesthetic, I just wanted mine to be more streamlined. Less greebles. I also decided against painting or weathering it to look vintage. This is more of a fresh from the factory look. Again, I love what Dark Saber did with his, but as I worked on it, I was very anal about what material I used because I wasn't going to cover it up with paint.

As always, thanks for the inspiration RPF.

img1963s.jpg

img1957d.jpg

img1956s.jpg

img1955s.jpg

img1954s.jpg

img1953s.jpg

img1952sj.jpg

img1950s.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Retro Raygun

Well done, it's beautiful piece of art. I love your photography as well. What's next on your plate?

that is too awesome! i love that style a million times over steam punk anyday. pulp/serial heroes and designs are timelessly classic

Really fantastic. I'll never look at a cocktail shaker the same way again.

Man, now I want a ray gun.

the quality of finish pushes it wow factor up considerably

can i see door knobs?

-z

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Okay, here's a roll call of parts front to back:

• Emitter tip is a small glass vial found a a medical supply store. The emitter filament is a brass rod with 20 brass washers slipped over.
• Brass emitter is the top of a candle holder.
• Heat sinks are a series of large steel washers and smaller steel bearings.
• Gold mid section is from the same candle holder.
• The body is, someone guessed it, a small martini shaker.
• The rear knob is also from a found candle holder.
• All held together via a 1/4" threaded rod down the middle.
• The Right control knob housing is a half-inch aluminum spacer with a found knob
• Micro switch on top
• Micro jewel for the indicator light.
• The Uranium Pod is a 10G CO2 cartridge.
• The grip is from a really nice scrap of cherry wood I got from Rockler Woodworks for a buck.
• The grip sides are aluminum plate.
• The trigger is a vintage machinery switch I found at my Dad's
• And there's a few other washers and fittings.

This project was a blast. Took me the better part of 3 weeks working in my spare time.

Love it you did a great job on this you should be proud! I want one every time I go to start I see ideas from other builds so I quit I want mine to be mine! Nice build!:thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back