Rest in peace J.W. Rinzler

Ouch. 58 years old.

Lately it feels weird to read a media obituary for somebody that age and they didn't die of Covid.

Hell, I just turned 60 last Wednesday and it's already starting to feel weird when someone younger than I am now dies.

God. This news is a huge shock. I knew he was ill last year, but you never think it was terminal. Condolences to his family and friends. An incredible talented writer. I always thought he was the ultimate historian for the kind of movies we love here,( the “Antony Beevor” of fan film).
RIP.
523F3869-4DD1-4BE0-AC3B-E890471912A0.jpeg

Jon was a really nice guy. When I was a journalist I interviewed him a few times, and we'd email each other on and off. We spent half a day together at NY ComicCon when he was signing books. So truly sad. Rest easy, Jon.

Last edited:
Rest in Peace...too early to go and such great writer also. Time to find a cure for that terrible disease :(

Rest in Peace...too early to go and such great writer also. Time to find a cure for that terrible disease :(
I lost my (wonderful) boss literally a year ago to pancreatic cancer, too. I am 837% done with pancreatic cancer. It can go away now, thanks.

As a researcher, as a digger for facts, as someone who rejected party lines and focused ever on the objective truth of a thing, however disquieting that might be for those involved... Gods below, I appreciated that man. I don't have his whole bibliography. Besides his making-of book for Aliens, everything else I have is his Star Wars stuff. And I mean everything. Revenge of the Sith on. The Blueprints, The Star Wars... I even saved the full version of his account of the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney before he got cut off, to make sure it never completely gets buried. That and the suppression of his making-of book for TFA. It's stupid. He's one of the strongest allies Star Wars has. Those who have a problem with what he writes should probably take a look at themselves to figure out what they did wrong and why.

To say he will be missed is like saying the ocean is wet -- accurate... but way too inadequate.

I lost my (wonderful) boss literally a year ago to pancreatic cancer, too. I am 837% done with pancreatic cancer. It can go away now, thanks.

As a researcher, as a digger for facts, as someone who rejected party lines and focused ever on the objective truth of a thing, however disquieting that might be for those involved... Gods below, I appreciated that man. I don't have his whole bibliography. Besides his making-of book for Aliens, everything else I have is his Star Wars stuff. And I mean everything. Revenge of the Sith on. The Blueprints, The Star Wars... I even saved the full version of his account of the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney before he got cut off, to make sure it never completely gets buried. That and the suppression of his making-of book for TFA. It's stupid. He's one of the strongest allies Star Wars has. Those who have a problem with what he writes should probably take a look at themselves to figure out what they did wrong and why.

To say he will be missed is like saying the ocean is wet -- accurate... but way too inadequate.
inquisitor Peregrinus,
You know, I read your heartfelt post yesterday and your words struck a chord and was still thinking about them when I went to sleep last night. One of the things that comes across in J. Rinzler’ s work is that it shows how much he interested in creative people, many of whom are not born with silver spoons in the mouths but come from humble backgrounds, work hard and dream a lot . There‘s no sugar coating of their stories. The movie industry like all creative industries, is difficult and brutal at times. His books are truthful, inspirational and nostalgic to us “old dogs” who still love to dream and if they inspire just one young kid who happens to read them at the right age and become the next Lucas or Spielberg or any of the other thousands of professionals who worked on these movies then I think that will be the magical legacy of J.W. Rinzler’s writing.

............ and someone should tell Disney that too much sugar and treacle are bad for our health.

He will be missed indeed ( and I may never get the Blade Runner book that I thought he might write someday).

inquisitor Peregrinus,
You know, I read your heartfelt post yesterday and your words struck a chord and was still thinking about them when I went to sleep last night. One of the things that comes across in J. Rinzler’ s work is that it shows how much he interested in creative people, many of whom are not born with silver spoons in the mouths but come from humble backgrounds, work hard and dream a lot . There‘s no sugar coating of their stories. The movie industry like all creative industries, is difficult and brutal at times. His books are truthful, inspirational and nostalgic to us “old dogs” who still love to dream and if they inspire just one young kid who happens to read them at the right age and become the next Lucas or Spielberg or any of the other thousands of professionals who worked on these movies then I think that will be the magical legacy of J.W. Rinzler’s writing.

............ and someone should tell Disney that too much sugar and treacle are bad for our health.

He will be missed indeed ( and I may never get the Blade Runner book that I thought he might write someday).
You're right guys (y) (y) As John Rohn said: "Discipline is the bridge between goals and achievements". Discipline comes from disciple (Bible) and we, Artists, Creators, are disciples of each others. The Mentors who showed, shared their knowledge and experience, the hard work, the errors, the defeats and finally the victories of creation. Knowing and accepting that you know nothing is very humbling and, in the end, very fulfilling.

His death is an immeasurable loss. I didn't know him in any capacity but for his writing and the few interviews I'd seen or read. Not only was he a talented writer but he exuded a calm and humble demeanor that few in his industry posess, especially for someone so connected to giants in the film industry. He never once indicated that it had gone to his head and he was always kind to the fans because he himself was a fan of his subject matter. My heart goes out to those that knew him personally. I can only imagine their loss. Rest in peace Mr. Rinzler. You will be sorely missed.

I stumbled across this the other day after reading the news of his passing. It’s about a blog that Rinzler apparently did briefly a few years back, with some interesting behind the scenes information I hadn’t heard before. Maybe someone else will find it interesting too:

(Page 1 and 2 have all of the old blog posts I think, you may have to click “spoiler” to read them all.)

God rest his soul. I'm grateful to have the books he wrote and can imagine what great books we now will never get. Though if it meant he would still be around, I'd be fine with that. His legacy is already secure.

Jagjaguwar, I downloaded his original blog posts (all but the twelfth/last, that caught LFL's attention and caused the censure) because I knew his gory details of the sale to Disney would ruffle too many of the wrong feathers. I really hope the Making of TFA manuscript doesn't get flushed, but still exists somewhere so that it might someday see the light of day, even if through clandestine, pirate copies. Disney and LFL's behavior since the sale has been less than heartwarming. I feel if you have problems with the way someone is talking about how you do things, you should take a look at how you do things -- not take steps to shut that person up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back