reshaping fibreglass

antneb

ive just gone back to my magneto helmet after months of not working on it. i think that the flares on the front need to be brought in. is there a way of softening the glass enough to do this without breaking it?

Depends on how thick the fiberglass is AND this does NOT always work best but you can heat the area you need to bend with a heat gun but don't go overboard or you'll just bake the bondo. You'll have alot better luck if you only have to move it less than a half inch... Best of luck and TAKE YOUR TIME:thumbsup

Heating with a heat gun always worked for me. Just remember to apply a cold cloth to it after it has been bent back into shape. This rapidly cools the resin, and sets it at the angle you need. Be careful of how much heat you apply though, too much and it may destroy the piece. Rule of thumb here is to apply just enough to bend it, and no more.

thanks for th etips guys. im borrowing a heat gun over the weekend. i only need to bring the bottom tips in about half - 3 quarters on an inch. if it doesnt work it doesnt work. its was the first fibreglass build id done anyway so its far from perfect.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back