Repairing a Precious Moments figurine.....

Mydnyghte

How many saw the title and said "......what?"Our son, aka The Destroyer of the Universe, got his hands on my wife's little figurine that her mom gave her __ decades ago. Needless to say, it ended well for nobody. Like Earth, in Hitchhiker's Guide.So in an attempt to repair it, I find I missed a few pieces during the disaster cleanup. What would be a good material for filling in the gaps? It's porcelain as far as I can tell. Any help may be rewarded with some lovin from my wife. To me of course. You'll get a hearty handshake or maybe a box of beef jerky. Your choice! Thanks folks. IMAG2797.jpgIMAG2795.jpgIMAG2796.jpg

Years ago my wife got me involved in repairing a few of her grandmothers porcelain figures (they were not precious moments, but I'm going to guess a similar repair would work). The stuff we used was called Magic Sculpt, the only problem with it was we could only find it in like a five pound container.

A friend of mine, whose wife collects precious moments, has had to do some repairs- also because of their children- has used Apoxie Sculpt. He told me there were two different whites in the Apoxie a brilliant white (I think that's right) and just white. He found the white to be a little grey and had problems getting the paint to cover without it peeking through. He had no problems with the brilliant white.

edit because my friend just texted me back- it's SUPER WHITE. Not Brilliant White, that worked best for him- he doesn't think there is a brilliant white, just white and super white.

Awesome! I just ordered some, should be here Saturday. I'm hoping to have it all finished up by the time she gets back from visiting her family. Amazon had the super white in a 1/4 lb. container, so that should be more than enough. Very good sir, much appreciated. We'll see how this turns out.

Apoxie Sculpt will not only fill those missing pieces but help hold things together too. It's very easy to work with. I have to use glove while working with it because it gives my skin a rash but I still love the stuff.

Yup, good quality epoxy putty will fill any gaps and give structural strength to the repair. Google up some articles on Apoxie Sculpt, you'll be amazed by what folks have done with it. Just remember, it gets harder to work the longer it cures until it is rock hard, so do all your smoothing before it sets up.
Cheers!
Robert

I've got a SW bust that fell that I'm going to repair using Apoxie Sculpt. I've used it on smaller things and it's great. My mom and dad had a bunch of Precious Moments figures and if I even looked wrong at them I would have been dead! :)

I've got a SW bust that fell that I'm going to repair using Apoxie Sculpt. I've used it on smaller things and it's great. My mom and dad had a bunch of Precious Moments figures and if I even looked wrong at them I would have been dead! :)

Are you saying the figures would've come to life and killed you in your sleep? :)

To the OP: Good luck with the repair.

Thanks for all the input fellas. Got the Apoxie and a small toolkit from Amazon and went to work on it. It was my first time using putty for anything ever, but I think it came out okay.t It needs a little sanding, and I'll also need to touch up the paint though, the Super White apoxie is exactly that! Will post some pictures when I can.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back