Remember me a toy...

Jedi2016

Sr Member
So I had this toy when I was a kid, probably around the mid-80's. I think I had two of them. They were the sort of thing you'd probably get now on Thinkgeek.

They were part puzzle, part robot. There was a central body that housed the motor and main movement (rotational elements for the legs), that was all one piece, but you had to assemble and attach all of the outside parts that could then walk around. By "walk around", I mean in the fashion of 80's toys, nothing like what we have today, they just sort of shuffled around.

I had one that was an elephant of some sort, maybe a mammoth? And I vaguely recall having one that was a dinosaur, maybe an apatosaur? (they would have called it a brontosaurus at the time). The elephant's trunk would go up and down and the ears would flap as it walked (I may be confusing the elephant's trunk for the dinosaur's neck, this was a LONG time ago, so it may have just been the one, but I know it was part of a line of toys, and they had different kinds).

The overall color was very dark. Most of the pieces were black or dark grey, with some dark brown and blue mixed in here and there. I remember the legs being remarkably complex for something of the era, comprised of dozens of components that had to fit together just so. The "body" where the motor was was transparent, but a brownish smokey color.

Any ideas? I've got all the internet to look, but I find that this place seems to have the most people who had the same toys as I did when I was a kid.. hehe.

Zoids?

zoids10.jpg

Why am I not surprised that it's you that's come up with the answer? lol

That does look like it, although the colors are different. The mechanical bits look dead-on, though. Time to go digging.

Edit: Yep, it's this guy right here. They're a bit pricy on Ebay, not surprising. I remember it being larger than that, but then again I was only seven when it was released.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was a mammoth. I had it, too. Ears wiggled back and forth, and the cockpit was transparent dark yellow where the figure went. The snout went up and down, also. Loved that one! I never had any of the other ones, just the mammoth.

Great thread!!

I had the trex too! Man what a memory! Completely forgotten about it till I saw that pic! It was during the phase where we had lots of cool mechanical-build stuff. (Anybody remember "Capsela"?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsela ).

While writing this reply I originally also started asking for help finding long list toy I had and had not been able to find before, and mid post I decided to try researching again...and I found it! This was also one of my favorites...

http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/hovercraft0.shtml

Thanks for the awesome nostalgic trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the brontosaurus and some crazy pegasus one. Loved those things. what a cool idea. They need to bring those back.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back