Recent Video of how Tommy Lee Wallace converted the Shatner Mask to The Shape (for Halloween fans)

CB2001

Master Member
Just found this. If anyone wants to convert a Shatner mask into a Myers mask (though there are plenty available on the market now), it's still interesting seeing the simplistic techniques he used to take such a simple mask and making it into what we know as the mask of Michael Myers.

That’s amazing !!! So simple yet so clever. Finding the terror within an ordinary item. I’m speechless.

What bugs me about this is that every idiot with a can of spray paint is going to think they can just grab some white paint at the hardware store and a Kirk mask and create Michael Myers the "Tommy Lee Wallace way." Spray paint today is not the same spray paint made in the 70s. Spray paint in the 70s was lower quality, didn't coat as solidly, and rubbed away easily. That's why there was so much exposed Kirk flesh tones on the mask by the end of production. The paint just rubbed away. Spray paint today is usually acrylic based, coats more evenly, and doesn't rub away as easily. It's the acrylic that causes the paint to crack. That's why most mask repainters today use air brushes and mix liquid latex into their paint. The liquid latex makes the paint mask friendly. I got into an argument with a guy over Facebook about this. Two years previously I told him don't just spray paint his mask, it'll crack. He did it, and then argued with me about it two years later and said it looked totally fine. When he showed me a picture of this "totally fine" mask, it looked like somebody had taken a hammer to a window.

I'd say be careful of buying any "converted" Michael Myers masks on eBay for a while. They may not be painted to last.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back