Realistic rust effect for my swegway hover board

NECRON99peace

I’ve started riding my swegway a lot lately and it’s sad to say that the paint finish has been pretty much destroyed
BEAFC5E6-FE45-4CE7-BD61-D3383B2AE896.jpeg
3BEF2351-7F5B-4E7E-907D-8AEE84C4A45F.jpeg

I’m wanting to do a custom paint mod. I initially wanted to do a very classic looking paint job, a shiny lacquered candy apple kind of look. Then the more I thought I realized that not even the strongest 2 part clear coat would keep it from scratching as it’s constantly rubbing against gravel and concrete road. Then I thought, why not make a rat rod swegway. It would be perfect for the kind of abuse it take and is something I’ve never seen on a swegway of all things. I’m particular on the finish I want to achieve. I don’t want the rust to be a paint effect I want it to be a real patina with actual rust texture. I want the swegway to look like metal painted black like in the photo below
519BB9F1-A1A4-417F-981B-12D170623595.png

I read an article that Bill Doran from Punished Props wrote on tested about his madmax rd car. This is exactly what I want but it needs to be durable like an automotive finish. Does anyone have any resources as to how to achieve this this effect, how do I achieve the bare metal base effect and what patina do I use. Would 2k matte clear be good for this. Also, I wanted t add spike to the outside of the and would not have to drill holes in the wheel but still attach the Spike strong enough that they won’t falloff. Last thing, the frame is acrylic and is has cracks in it, I imagine weld on 16 would bets as it’s the best adhesive for acrylic I’ve use but their still a decent amount of body work I need to do, would bondo work as a good filler or do I need something special for acrylic. I would maybe like to reinforce the bumber frame so they don’t crack without cromposing the mechanics of the hover board.

There are dozens of options--including coatings full of iron from Sophisticated Finishes that will rust rapidly and naturally--but they will all be "paint effects" because your base material is plastic. You could seal everything in a thin layer of epoxy and then knock the sheen off of it with some woven abrasives, but there is nothing you can do that's going to make it as permanent as actual rust on actual metal. Everything will scratch and chip off eventually.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back