"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for Halloween 2011! Update 8/29

Pity there is no way of scaling real life sculpts:p.. The 3/4 with the hood up is actually a really cool idea, plenty of air for your head and also give it a darker feel.

Thanks:) I will credit you of course. Hopefully i will find time in the next month to start it. I was thinking lined texture too, almost like worn ivory horns. It will definately sharpen up the front and break up the piece.

Looking forward to more pic updates more often seeing as you have an excuse to work on it more ofter:D

it's going to look very awesome when you're finished.

Thanks:) I will credit you of course. Hopefully i will find time in the next month to start it.

If you're up for making one modification in your 3D model, I would LOVE to see the eyes moved farther out to the sides of the head. They're pushed out a bit now, but I had to keep visibility for the wearer in mind and they're still a bit too close together for my tastes, aesthetically!

Yeh sure i can do that. I'll probably be annoying you for some front and profile pictures anyway:p Im almost finished my magneto helmet so a 3D model is my next project. I think i might just skip the ones i was gonna do and start this one instead:p

WOW! i'm not sure hot i missed this thread, but it's amazing! fantastic work, man. i absolutely love the design--very reminiscent of michael zulli's TMNT. keep up the great work!

So awesome, terrific sculpt! Brings back memories....teenage mutant ninja turtles was my childhood lol

I would'nt know about a 3D Model, Laser scan maybe that would bring out all the detail but it would be a super high poly model if done that way.

I would'nt know about a 3D Model, Laser scan maybe that would bring out all the detail but it would be a super high poly model if done that way.

Shouldn't be worse than the piles of dino models available out there. Geometry and major scales done with polys, and the rest mapped...

I dont think the poly count would be too high... Only one way to find out:p

JB, got your PM. I'll take some shots of different angles for you the next time I sit down with the sculpt!

- D

Thanks!

I'm afraid I didn't quite meet my deadline of molding the bust over the holiday weekend. That said, I did make some decent progress and I'm holding out hope of only pushing it back one weekend. The left side of Leo's face is pretty much finished. I've covered the entire armature bust with clay. I'd rather have more than less; I can always trim what I don't want from the bottom of the mask. In a couple more sessions, I think the scaling/detailing/texturing will be complete.

My biggest hurdle came when I realized that a smooth look wasn't for me. I had sculpted scales and cracks, but the surfaces in-between looked artificial to me. Spots brushed with alcohol or hit with the heat gun look very slick and glossy, and those applications were necessary to clean up my tool marks and tiny shavings of clay. I took some photos to try and show the level of surface detail I'm going for. If your resolution and contrast is pretty good, you might be able to make out the finest surface detail in some of these. If not, look for some "glossy" scales on the right with very smooth surfaces - compare the light reflecting from those to the light off his cheek or eyebrow scales. It's super fine texture that is causing the eyebrow and cheek to look dull by comparison; I will have the entire sculpt at that level before molding.

cheek_texture.jpg

Detail Closeups:

detail_texture.jpg

eyebrow_ridge.jpg

Here's the mannequin which will soon stand in for me as I put together the shell and bodysuit:

mannequin.jpg

And here's a sneak preview of some more turtle goodness!

bust_shells.jpg

Thanks again for the encouragement and feedback! It's great motivation. Jonny, I took some shots to assist you with your model - I'll upload them tomorrow! For now, I've got to get to sleep...

- Doug

Last edited:

wow you REALLY went to town on that texturing!..I cant fault it, it looks just like a turtle or elephant skin, very nice:) That must have been a pain in the ass to do....I just realized i have to do that detail too!! hahaha

How come you went with the swirl pattern? U sure do enjoy making work for yourself:p...Looking forward to those pics:) I havent had a chance to work on much the past wk, hopefully i'll get some time over the wkend

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for Halloween 2011! Update 9/6

:lol I just want to make your 3D recreation more difficult!

Please don't worry about modeling textures or the shell patterns to match though! Of course you're welcome to make yours as close to mine as you like, but you've got so few limitations working in that medium. I need to make a costume that will fit a human being with finite time and resources. Your head already looks better for having the eyes nice and wide apart, and I'm digging the bulk you've given to the shell!

hahaha:p..I shall accept the challenge!

Oh no dont worry, i have my own ideas of the shell and other details,I want it to be bulky for the shell but more muscular for the..well muscles :).. Trying to contrain a design to fit into a wearable costume is so frustrating. Everything needs support and to balance and have ventilation gaps etc. There is so much more to think about

"What's the matter, not turtley enough for ya?" LOL!!!! This is a beautiful build. Can't wait to see more.

haha thanks - no, they're just NOT turtley enough! :lol

I love the Hensen body suits. I'm amazed at the stunts the performers were able to execute in them, from flips to intricate weapons work. The color schemes on the originals were very natural... They were just great.

I didn't mind the head sculpts - Raph and Mikey in particular were very unique and expressive - but the teeth were too perfect and I could never understand why they would have such cartoonish headbands with such a realistic attempt at the rest of the character.

The CG cartoon, TMNT, had some aspects that I really liked - the forearms and the ankles grew wider towards the hand/feet, giving them a bit of a turtle flipper look. I also like the turtley aspects of the original drawings (their trademark "side grimaces" were originally a side effect of the beak coming down in front of the teeth). I wanted to focus on those sorts of attributes when doing this sculpt for sure - and take it to another level of realism, if possible...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back