Raspberry Pi TNG Tricorder

Here's an update (that is now out of date) that shows it operating on internal power. Still needs tons of work. But there's more to come soon I hope! (This is my build)

Saw this a couple days ago, and really liked the work. I was thinking about your slow UI response time. There really shouldn't be any real noticeable lag going on, even the basic pi zero has what a 1ghz core? I suspect theres something off with your thread scheduling setup.

I do my stuff on embedded hardware, using freeRTOS and I set my schedules to run the lcd once every 40ms to give 25fps and my leds to run there next update at something else (cant remember what tbh :D )

that leaves me tons of time to setup other things like button detection and what not. That runs at 5ms per check I think...

It might also help you to use compiled code rather than python VM.

VMs have a really large overhead and on a small SOC it might be pushing its limits.

I dont know if theres any route to direct port python code to a compiled machine code... Thats something worse looking into.

Saw this a couple days ago, and really liked the work. I was thinking about your slow UI response time. There really shouldn't be any real noticeable lag going on, even the basic pi zero has what a 1ghz core? I suspect theres something off with your thread scheduling setup.

I do my stuff on embedded hardware, using freeRTOS and I set my schedules to run the lcd once every 40ms to give 25fps and my leds to run there next update at something else (cant remember what tbh :D )

that leaves me tons of time to setup other things like button detection and what not. That runs at 5ms per check I think...

It might also help you to use compiled code rather than python VM.

VMs have a really large overhead and on a small SOC it might be pushing its limits.

I dont know if theres any route to direct port python code to a compiled machine code... Thats something worse looking into.
Hey I just watched your vid on your V2 build! So awesome! Can't wait to see the next vid!

Thanks for the advice on moving to a compiled code. I am in awe of your beautiful and smooth animations and responsive UI. Sadly I'm not much of a developer and I'm kind of learning python as I go with this project. I've done some arduino and compiled code before but nothing of this scale. But I'm trying to do the best I can with python for now and Im thinking about slowly replacing parts of the software I've written into C or the like.

Can I ask about the display tech you're using right now? Its a graphics chip you use to drive your screens?

Yeah im using a FT810 graphics coprocessor to drive the display... As youre using PI the graphics chip in your Pi is vastly superior to what I have.

If you really wanted to you could do 3D graphics :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back