R2D2 Styrene build

shsims

OK now time to change direction, I've completed a warhammer
20150802_185913.png_zpsfbq8wee2.jpg
and I've completed a Jedi
20160508_154130_zpsipevp7bb.jpg

Its time to start building something that I've wanted to try for a long time. I'm going to build a working R2D2 droid.
r2d2a5_zpsu30s2hvq.jpg

With the assistance of http://astromech.net/ and the R2 builders club which I am both a member of, its finally going to happen.
I have sent a couple of months doing research on the who, what, why and cost of this and have decided to build R2 using styrene plastic. The main reasons are that I have access to a local dealer, Farco Plastics www.farcoplastics.com they carry both the 3MM and 1MM styrene that I will use at a good price. The other reason is because of another's hard work, Dave Everett has put together a complete set of blueprints, pics and how to's to get it built (which members have access to). I expect this project to take at least one to two years to complete So , now by following Dave's plans and and with the assistance all those that answered my questions during research, here we go.
Dave plans comes with 1 to 1 scale blueprints of the frame so I want to Staples and had them print to scale for me, the cost was 2.65 per sheet and there were seven sheets. total cost 18.55
20160819_073054_zpsleqz5jzc.jpg

Next was buying the styrene, its come as a 4x8 sheet and the 3MM cost was 58.00

Last edited by a moderator:
The styrene sheet was bought and by cutting out the blueprints and using a non permanent adhesive spray The prints were placed on the plastic to maximize space for cutting.
20160821_101756_zpsya9n6gir.png

Ok for the round frame pcs there are measurements that you find in the how to guide. You measure the correct distance from blade and drill a 3mm hole through the router table. You then cut out a rough circle around the print and styrene, drill a 3mm hole through the center of print and using a 3mm bolt, put it through print and plastic .put bolt through pre drilled hole. The router has a strait cutting bit on it so when you turn it on it cuts though the styrene and you rotate the pc around and you get your perfect circle the size you want
20161015_120931_zps8bywzysk.png

20161016_125654_zpsdpcrl6xb.png

after taking my time to be sure I had it right and not mess it up.(2 days) I got the main frames pcs cut out
20161016_132342_zpsq79abqnk.png
I told you there was lots of pcs

OK there are a few more things to cut and drill then I can start putting the frame together

Last edited:
Wow great job cutting! I did not trust myself so I bought some laser cut body pieces. Just received them last week.

It's a fun project, isn;t it? I'm nearly finished my R6 droid out of styrene. Not sure I would want to do it a second time though. LOTS of styrene cutting......

I was scared to death cutting those parts, 1st time for anything like this, I probably measured each pc 3 or 4 time to be sure

- - - Updated - - -

hey send me any assistance ya can Ill take it

Ok, started gluing frame together as instructions say. As I did I used an Idea from another member, used L brackets to keep uprights strait
20161022_173402_zpspanyl4ji.png

20161022_173328_zpswnmqhukq.png

Here is lower section finished
20161022_184424_zpsllbqlcdz.png

Cut out the slot for coin slots and drilled holes for doors and glued on second section
20161023_150250_zpsoxasifdp.png

thats a lot of work. i always respect the styrene builds. there is so much work involved. and i think personally the hardest route to go when doing a r2 build because everything is hand fabricated. i could never pull it off with my shaky sausage fingers. much respect sir!

Acetone is the perfect adhesive to use on styrene as it welds the plastic together rather than just gluing it, any excess liquid just evaporates leaving a very clean joint, and the weld is much stronger than the plastic around the joint.
I have used Acetone or even automotive paint thinners to join styrene projects for over 20 years with great success

This is looking stellar. I've always wanted to try my hand at an astromech build but it seems like such a daunting task.

Haven't heard of people using Acetone before....

I used Weldon 3 and it seems to be the glue of choice over on Astromech builders.

What glue are you using shsims?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back