Question: What is a production piece?

While technically, all screenused props are "made for the production" as well, the way the term in used by hobbyists refers to the unused items. If the piece is screenused, it will be called screenused.

They usually come in three forms:

1. Exact copies of screenused pieces that were just extras in case the originals were damaged and were not needed (and thus were not used on film).

2. Pieces whose design was made for use but either cut out of a scene from the film, or just never used.

3. Preliminary test pieces, initial designs that were later altered or abandoned, and prototypes.

I don't know what it means...

The is one of the best newbie questions I've heard in a long time. It's a good, solid question that relates spot on to the hobby. I know most newbs would never ask this for fear of being laughed at when in reality it's a perfectly viable question.

Good for you, DRD 1812. :thumbsup
I hope your question was answered to your satisfaction. Please don't let that be your last question.

Basically, anything made for or during the production of a film, but was never used in front of the camera.

I'm not sure if this is the general consensus, but I consider storyboards, scripts, etc. to be "production" pieces as well.

The is one of the best newbie questions I've heard in a long time. It's a good, solid question that relates spot on to the hobby. I know most newbs would never ask this for fear of being laughed at when in reality it's a perfectly viable question.

I hope your question was answered to your satisfaction. Please don't let that be your last question.

I totally agree and it looks like people have chimed in and covered the question perfectly.

Thanks for the great responses everyone. Yep, my question has been answered very well.

Thanks. I'm new both to props and to this site and I have been really impressed with how nice and helpful everyone here is.

This has been answered well, but I think a note of caution should also be added. "Production made" is a very loose term and I think it is often stretched a bit by those looking to make a quick buck. Original molds are often held for a long time and castings can be taken at any time. Cast from an original mold (after the fact) doesn't make something "production made" but you see them offered as such a lot.

This has been answered well, but I think a note of caution should also be added. "Production made" is a very loose term and I think it is often stretched a bit by those looking to make a quick buck. Original molds are often held for a long time and castings can be taken at any time. Cast from an original mold (after the fact) doesn't make something "production made" but you see them offered as such a lot.

Very good point - I've even had Prop-Masters offer me 'Production Made' pieces that didn't quite make it to screen, only to find they intended to make a new casting to sell me :rolleyes - which in reality is of course nothing short of a replica. Just from an original source

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, although I wonder if this classification can also be applied to items that have been used in production (not just MADE by the production team). Till now I thought it can be an ambiguous term...(replicas aside).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back