Question about PVC Sheets

Atlanthia

Sr Member
Hey everyone! I hope you are all well :)

My question is simple: Styrene sheets are not cheap but PVC sheets are dirt cheap in comparison. Has anyone ever used PVC sheets to build models on here and, if so, what were the results? I am thinking that if I were to get an A3 sheet delivered for testing, I could use the same glue that I bought for PVC waste pipes which basically melts the two join surfaces together....?

I would really appreciate any advice and/or experiences you may have.

All the best to you all, as always,

Darren

PVC is an okay material.
Similar characteristics to styrene except it's tougher and more UV stable if left unpainted.

Cost wise I'm surprised you've found it that cheap or, are you paying over the odds for styrene?

We use a foam PVC board (one brand name is Foamex) which comes in a range of thicknesses from 0.5mm up to 25mm - it's used a lot in the signage industry.

If you’re looking for a reasonable quantity of either I'd contact your local plastics stockist.
If you buy either in large sheet sizes it will be a lot cheaper than model shop prices .
Note the prices a stockist quotes will probably not include VAT.

Have a look at these two companies which I use, and they will give you an idea of what’s available.

*Styrene is referred to on these sites as HIPS.

Plastic & Aluminium Stockholders and Fabricators - Plastics Direct

Stephen Webster Plastics

If I can help more let me know.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back