Quantum Leap to return. NBC picked up the sequel

There were a couple times in the original series that they showed Sam to be tired of leaping and ready to quit. The finale addresses that. Also they did bring in a young uber genius that knew more about time travel than Sam. It was his own daughter.
That never happned in the Series that was one idea they had that never was given the greenlight.

The part about his daughter? It absolutely happened. There was a 3 part episode where Sam kept leaping to help Abigail Fuller. At the end Al tells him that Abigail's daughter, Sammy Jo is actually his and is working on Project Quantum Leap in the future.

The thing that worked in the original is you had Sam who was more modern/progressive in his thoughts/beliefs and Al who was more traditional and old-fashioned. They often didn't see eye-to-eye and it was presented (at least as it seemed to me) more neutrally and let both characters learn lessons and develop, kind of meeting in the middle. I doubt very much that it would be done the same way today. I think that's the point a few of you are trying to make, yes?

Considering they don't have Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, I hope they don't try to do it the same way. That relationship between those 2 characters worked in large part due to the chemistry and rapport between the 2 actors. That was lightning in a bottle. They're not likely to find it again.

That said, the overall premise is worth continuing. If there were a time travel experiment, it would almost certainly continue on after the creator was no longer running it. Let's see how this new crew handles it. I don't need Sam and Al redux. I want to see how other people deal with these situations. I'm definitely going to check this show out.

Also I'll put $100 right now saying, if the show is any good, Scott Bakula shows up for like a season finale cliffhanger type event. Not as a series regular.

Considering they don't have Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, I hope they don't try to do it the same way. That relationship between those 2 characters worked in large part due to the chemistry and rapport between the 2 actors. That was lightning in a bottle. They're not likely to find it again.

That said, the overall premise is worth continuing. If there were a time travel experiment, it would almost certainly continue on after the creator was no longer running it. Let's see how this new crew handles it. I don't need Sam and Al redux. I want to see how other people deal with these situations. I'm definitely going to check this show out.

Also I'll put $100 right now saying, if the show is any good, Scott Bakula shows up for like a season finale cliffhanger type event. Not as a series regular.
They are going to have to put up a ton of money I think to get him to make a cameo, When Dean died they WERE in negotations to do something again but with Deans death Scott said it was now over for good for him

They are saying it is a "reboot" but it is more of a sequel. It takes place 30 years after Sam Beckett disappeared and someone called Dr. Ben Seong starts up the "Quantum Leap project" accelerator (called project Star bright in the original). Ernie Hudson has been cast as a military veteran involved with the project.

Is this going to be like Jurassic Park? How many times do we have to keep making the same mistake? It's not a good idea to bring dinosaurs back to modern times. Equally if Sam Beckett disappeared without a trace 30 years prior, maybe it's best to just leave well enough alone? :lol:

I don't see the purpose in remaking this at all either. If they're going to do it very differently it's just better to make an entirely new show with a new premise. If they're going to try to do recapture the spirit of the original its been done so no need to do it again. Are "creatives" really that desperate and lazy that they can't idk attempt to be creative?

There are a slew of incredible novels and comics over the last 20 years (far beyond that as well) that haven't been touched, just waiting to be adapted to film and yet nope. Reboot, it's safer.

If they keep true to the way they currently do reboots, Sam will be a 20 something smarter than everybody else jerk and arrogant because of it. Al will now be a woman, who kicks all the men’s but every week, and sleeping with as many as she wants to.

Last edited:
Is this going to be like Jurassic Park? How many times do we have to keep making the same mistake? It's not a good idea to bring dinosaurs back to modern times. Equally if Sam Beckett disappeared without a trace 30 years prior, maybe it's best to just leave well enough alone? :lol:
Seems plausible to me. How many examples do you need of the current generation thinking they can do it better than the previous one.

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I don't see the purpose in remaking this at all either. If they're going to do it very differently it's just better to make an entirely new show with a new premise. If they're going to try to do recapture the spirit of the original its been done so no need to do it again. Are "creatives" really that desperate and lazy that they can't idk attempt to be creative?

There are a slew of incredible novels and comics over the last 20 years (far beyond that as well) that haven't been touched, just waiting to be adapted to film and yet nope. Reboot, it's safer.
It's not the creatives so much as the studio and network execs. They've seen that nostalgia sells so instead of greenlighting something new, they want a remake/reboot or sequel/prequel to an old IP. This isn't exactly anything new, there's been plenty of times in the '70s - '80s when some studio comes out with a huge hit of a movie then soon after you start seeing all kinds of copycat movies. Or, if a movie proves to be a hit, they start greenlighting sequel after sequel after sequel; how many Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Jaws, and other movies have we had over the years yet no one seems to complain about them for some reason.

They will never replicate this show, or do it justice.

When it was firing on all cylinders , it was one of a kind, and had a lot of heart

I just finished watching one of my favorites , Its a Wonderful Leap, Liz Torres performance in that was amazing!!

They may not be anything new, but that doesn't change the fact that most of them are cheap, derivative, cashgrabs.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back