Prop Museums in L.A.?

00fil00

Hi guys,

Going on my honeymoon in September to L.A, San Francisco and Vegas. I know there's things like Universal studios, Warner Bros. and Paramount studio tours but I expect that they will simply show you around and maybe show you an old script and talk you to death about back in the 1970s.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of a museum with rooms of glass cases where you can see all the robot suits, batman costumes, lord of the rings swords and props used in movies - more along the lines of Tested.com's comicon videos, with the chance to buy a decent quality cool prop from the store at the end as a momento. Does this exist somewhere in LA? Somewhere where you can get up close to lots of decent movie memorabilia.

Thanks so much guys,

Phil

They're not museums, but there's the new Requiem Cafe which looks amazing, wish I could go check it out. There's also Geeky Mama's in the Anaheim Garden Walk - don't remember if they have any props on display like a museum, but it's a pretty cool shop anyway. I'll keep trying to think of some actual museums you might be interested in, I'm sure I've been to at least one.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

That Requiem place looks interesting, I had never heard of it.

I have been to Geeky Mama's and I'm surprised to hear it mentioned anywhere. That mall is near my apartment and we went and looked around out of boredom. In addition to the mall being a ghost town, the store is pure embarrassment. Or at least it was until a couple months ago. They've narrowed it down now to mostly just selling old toys, but it used to be full of some of the most cringe worthy geek stuff I've ever seen. The worst I can recall were really mutated pinatas and geek "fashion" that usually amounted to a dress they bought for $5 at a thrift store and sewed on a pocket made from Jo-ann's Batman quilting cotton. Going into that place used to be like watching a train wreck. Now it's pretty much just an old toy store though. Lots of Alien 3 action figures and other stuff nobody could sell.

The Warner Bros tour is actually outstanding. They have tons of props and movie vehicles on display. You should also give Prop Store a shout - I’m sure they’d love to show you around. It’s about an hour north of LA. When I visited their London location they gave me a full tour and even picked me up from the train station.

The Warner Bros tour is actually outstanding. They have tons of props and movie vehicles on display. You should also give Prop Store a shout - I’m sure they’d love to show you around. It’s about an hour north of LA. When I visited their London location they gave me a full tour and even picked me up from the train station.
Wow! no way! It's an auction place right? presumed you wouldn't be allowed to see the merchandise since it's for the bidders. Pleased to hear I will be pleasantly surprised by the warner bros tour.

Wow! no way! It's an auction place right? presumed you wouldn't be allowed to see the merchandise since it's for the bidders. Pleased to hear I will be pleasantly surprised by the warner bros tour.

Yup, Prop Store is one of the top auction houses. You could even try Profiles in History, another auction house - it’s not too far from Prop Store.

I’d also suggest downloading the Reel Estates app. It’s a huge database of exterior filming locations and will map where you are and tell you what was filmed near you. You can even plan a custom tour. Pasadena alone has a bunch of Back to the Future filming locations (Marty’s house, Doc’s mansion, Biff’s house, etc).
Speaking of tours, I’d avoid any of those you’ll see on Hollywood blvd. I’ve heard this tour of the valley filming locations is stellar: ‘Karate Kid,’ ‘Fast Times … ‘: A tour of San Fernando Valley film and TV locations spans the classics

I’ll throw another vote in for the Warner Bro’s Studio tour. Not only is the museum area absolutely fantastic, with batsuits, costumes, and props a plenty.. the tour is pretty great as well! All around a great experience.

Does this exist somewhere in LA? Somewhere where you can get up close to lots of decent movie memorabilia.

Definitely hit the Hollywood Museum. They even have some whole screen-used sets, like the Silence of the Lambs dungeon cells. Props, makeups, cars, costumes, personal effects, etc.

Also, the Academy of Motion Picture Sciences Museum will be open by then, and looks to be amazing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back