Pressure Pot Resin Casting Question

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mr. Nagata, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm thinking about purchasing a pressure pot for resin casting. My question is, are the pressure pots sold specifically as "resin casting" pots the same thing as the pressure pots for painting (like the ones sold at hardware stores)? The reason I ask is because they look practically the same to me, but the paint pots are several hundred dollars cheaper and are much easier to find and come in a variety of sizes.

CPTRogers likes this.
  2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Several people get the paint pot from Harbor Freight and convert it. There's a thread here about the process

3. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Harbor Freight thing has always freaked me out because I've gotten some REAL crap from them. I have a pressure pot from CA Technologies and it's great. And actually made for the pressure it'll be put under.

4. Mr. Nagata

5. Risu

Yep, that's the one.

Mr. Nagata likes this.
  6. Mr. Nagata

Do any modifications need to be done before casting with this, or do I just put my stuff in there, pump it to 60 PSI then let the fun begin? Also, they sell pots with 1 and 2 regulators, I assume I only need to get the pot with 1, right?

7. Risu

No real modification necessary. You might have to tweak the emergency release valve if it's not set to the correct pressure out of the box, but that's pretty quick and easy. You only need one regulator.

Mr. Nagata likes this.
  8. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been using one of Harbor Freight's 2-1/2 gallon paint pots as a pressure pot for casting for the last 8 years. I cast at 60 PSI, but the thing says it's rated for 80, which in my experience means it can probably go a touch over that before exploding. In any case, it has never given me any trouble or any reason to be concerned.

9. robn1

robn1 Master Member

The pots are pretty much the same but they are outfitted differently. The paint pots have an attachment point for the spray gun that needs to be plugged. I use a Grizzly paint pot which also had a mixing handle that had to be removed and plugged, I described it here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=184777