Pred Progress

oh58mech

Well, it's the same old story:

Get into costuming via one venue or another (for me, the 501st started it all)
Have a long love for pred costumes
Discover this forum
Do a lot of research, start accumulating parts
Get really excited piecing things together, can't wait for it's unveiling (was hoping to make it in time for the Predators movie last year...)
After four figure investing into the hobby, time/life gets "in the way" (stupid "life"... always ruining the fun... haha)
Not only that, you get burned on a bad deal from a once reputable maker who has a fall from grace, long bouts of broken promises, a year later you're still out an integral part of your costume (hands) and a few hundred bucks.
Then everything makes it's way into some box/closet somewhere, and you never see it again....
8 months later, here I am, with some revitalized interest, about to have a lot of time on my hands in about a month, but I figured I'd start, October and some cool local Cons ARE just around the corner...

Here are some pics:

The raw half mask I got from monsterroom, during a time when money was needed, being raised for inkmonster, thought I'd start things off on the right foot, get some good club/costuming karma by helping out a good cause...

Some good ol' foam Bambooie dreads:

This was a lasered bio I got for a good deal because it was previously broken (but was fixed, still holding up, thanks NUCKING FUTS), starting like this:

And here it is now (hard to make out all the layers of the paint, it's pretty awesome at different angles, lights, but I'm sure there will be more photos in the future...)

Also got some pred dread beads, had a fun time geeking out as a friend and I hand painted them, coming up with goofy stories about the type of kill they came from different hunts (blue for water monsters, etc. Nice range of reds, greens, browns, blues, orange, yellow, they look cool drying, we'll see once I get it all together)

So here's the latest altogether:

I've got a Dakath skin, gaunts from mannowar, and ton armor from various places (this is going to be a frankenpred... haha). Just need to get some hands, and fit everything together (been a while since I've suited up, hopefully it still fits! I guess something else I can work on with my free time... haha) I know having the "online support groups" can kinda push you along, so I figured I'd fire up the old lair forums on my laptop and get crackin'...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is like people always say here; you may take a brake, but you never really leave the lair. (y)
Good you find the spark again to continue your suit. The parts looks splendid at the moment, keep it going!

Thanks for all the kind words gang.

Yeah, the bio really has to be seen in person to really be appreciated for all the depth. I'm going to work on all the other armor to match it a bit better than it does now. Sounds like I may have a redemption with my hands on my hands... fingers crossed!

Nothing like a test first after a long while to get you pumped up... Phew, it still does! (will fit even better when I drop another 20 lbs or so). After this I put another 4 hours into it, took a ton of photos, alas, duty calls, but I'll post them later.

Time to finally put some dreads on this silly big bald head! Ever since I got the box of 'em, I've been wanting nothing more than to get them "plugged in", it just hasn't looked right!

Re: Hands... I guess I'm going to have to just suck this one up and move on, no more false hopes or promises that they're coming through, I've held off and waited long enough on good faith...

Of course I wait till October, when everyone gets slammed with the Halloween orders... we'll see what I manage.

Anways, a few long overdue head progression pics- I had more holes than dreads, but made little "plugs", if anything it's just new ones growing back?

They look decent anyway, better than a gaping hole. Also had to get creative with a few that broke- don't try this at home kids! Dipped in liquid latex after to "seal" it, has a nice burn/festering look to it!

Couple of random items on the right...

More different/random bling- any ideas as to what this little guy is?

I thought a leather wrap would be cool too, this was just for a test, but will do like a double helix...

More (recent) stuff to come soon, hopefully!

Got some raw hands from Mannowar, really liked the already colored nails and leather glove (something new he's trying), I actually left most of the original red, just went over it with a clear coat and that made it pop out more. Mixed up a very near match to fill in the seams, other spots, and voila! I'm going to SuperMega Fest this weekend, for a trial run. I recently got some new, better parts so already looking to upgrade to Pred v2, but for now, on to the pics! (They ARE pretty big though, and I think I've got larger than average hands)

Jazz hands! haha

Wait... what? o_O haha

Stay outta my suit fishboy... or else...

HERE it is,... Version 1, already look at several upgrades, but at least it's wearable now!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back