Please Advise - Best Material For Han Solo ESB Jacket

DS Operative

Sr Member
Like the title says, I am looking for the best source and most accurate material for Han Solo's ESB "Bespin" jacket. I'm hoping to have one custom made for me soon. The material has always eluded me and I'm hoping that an expert here will chime in. Is it wool or some other type of material?

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

I used navy blue cotton twill. The other choice is to use charcoal. The jury is still out as to whether the jacket was blue or charcoal.

Most places, like the rebel legion say it's either heavy cotton or twill, as for the colour as yodamann has said the jury is still out on wether it was navy blue or charcoal

that's really cool! is this a hard jacket to make? I don't have any seeing experience except for stitching patches.

my girlfriend does have a nice seeing machine though

I used navy blue cotton twill. The other choice is to use charcoal. The jury is still out as to whether the jacket was blue or charcoal.

According to the handy-dandy Star Wars Costumes book (pg. 106), the jacket was definitively a "light stone color", not blue. Of course, the choice is still yours (much like with Han's Hoth coat) on which direction you want to go with colour....

that's really cool! is this a hard jacket to make? I don't have any seeing experience except for stitching patches.

my girlfriend does have a nice seeing machine though

That's the same pattern I used. It wasn't too bad, though I did take sewing lessons as a child. I wouldn't say it was simple, but it wasn't incredible complex either. Just... in the middle.

I realise it's been a little while since the last post on this thread, so I'm hoping to revive it a little, my problem is this, not really knowing much about fabrics, but having made the ESB shirt (my first ever sewing project), i'm now looking for fabric to make the jacket, the issue I have is that browsing online I can get no clue as to the weight of the fabric.

The term 'medium weight cotton twill' seems to vary so much and claims for usage seem for the same fabric seem to range from 'shirts' to 'upholstery'! Could anyone knowledgeable about these kinds of things please-please-please point to an example/similar fabric somewhere online (ideally with an accurate weighting description) so that I can emerge from this fabric ignorance! (colour not important)

Thanks!

I would go to sellfabric.com and request swatches so you can look at the fabric colors and weights. They should have what you're looking for.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back