Playmates Tricorder Update v2! (IN PROGRESS)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kazy, May 17, 2015.

1. Kazy

Kazy New Member

Current progress: PLANNING/GATHERING MATERIALS.

I posted a few years back about my upgrade to my Playmates Tricorder. I had added some EL wire, an MP3 player for the screen, and a random LED toy for the scanner light. Here is its current state:

Workable, but inelegant.

Now I want to use an Arduino (possibly Trinket) and some Neopixels and a TFT screen to have it all work together and have it turn on when I open it.

Posting here because I'm having trouble finding normally closed reed switches (aka the Tricorder is off when the magnet is next to the switch.) I have some normally open that I could work around (have it be in the bottom of the tricorder, where it is fully folded out to activate), but this isn't ideal. If any of you guys knows a good source (that isn't me waiting 2 months on a packet from China/Hong Kong), it'd be great.

I'll be posting updates here. First parts get here tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    CB2001 likes this.
  2. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

3. Kazy

Kazy New Member

Thanks! I was able to find some from a US seller.

Got the TFT screen in today. It's a tad large, but I think it'll do. If not, I might switch to a 1.5" OLED.

[​IMG]
    Gutting the internals.

[​IMG]
    The shell.

[​IMG]
    Seeing if new components will fit.

[​IMG]
    Keeping everything tidy.

[​IMG]
    First test: Success!
    The code reads a BMP off the SD card and writes it to the screen. Though for some reason, orange got turned to blue.

[​IMG]
    Fitting the screen
    The screen is a bit larger than the opening, so it took a bit of trial and error to place the LCARs interface right.

[​IMG]
    Coding more screen
    This code keeps the BMP, but also writes several rectangles. I'd like to animate it, but I'd like to keep it simple for now while I try to fit everything together.

Here's the repository for my code so far, I'm super new to Arduino so this is mostly example code so far:
    https://github.com/KitF/Tricorder-Electronics/

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

This is too kewl , I be following your build :ninja

5. Kazy

Kazy New Member

Got sound working with this sound module. No pins to the Arduino, just plays on power-up. Next up is the Neopixel strips.

vidman likes this.
  6. Kazy

Kazy New Member

Small update, but started the Neopixels. By "started" I mean "added a single one"

Waiting on a few components now.

vidman likes this.