Passengers (Post-release)

I don't know why this movie is getting slammed in the reviews. It is one of the better movies I have seen in a while. Are there some ham-fisted sections that solely exist to move the plot along? Yes. But even with those glaring errors, this was a great and thought-provoking movie about forgiveness and making the most of the life before you. People might feel it blasphemous, but I walked out of this one feeling better than I did walking out of Rogue One...

I just returned home from seeing the movie. I found the title ironic since the movie goes nowhere. It was predictable and it almost put me in suspended animation.

I will say the creepy premise definitely made sure I would not see it even though I was interested in the sci-fi aspect of it.

Saw it last night, thought it was entertaining. Its not anywhere near as bad as the critics reviews of 30% on Rotten Tomatoes would have you believe.

The world they built was incredible. While the story brings up an interesting premise, it kind of ends with the usual Hollywood big action scene and doesn't have that much of a feeling of closure in regards to the relationship and what was done.

I guess you can question some of situations locked in by the writing and how stupid it is, only one med bay, crew separated by the rest of the passengers,why no programming to wake any of the flight crew up when a problem develops on the ship and a way to put anyone back to sleep. Sort of the same dumb situations like in Prometheus, a med bay only set up for males.

Some people don't like the movie because of what Chris Pratt's character did. So you have to ask yourself, what would you do ;) Probably will never know unless you were in that situation.

Some people don't like the movie because of what Chris Pratt's character did. So you have to ask yourself, what would you do?.
Well, I wouldn't cyber-stalk someone to learn everything about them, convince myself that I can make them love me, then wake them up, lie about what happened and trick them into sleeping with me, (sex by deception = consent invalid = rape).
So... I dunno, maybe I'd not doom someone else to die before reaching the destination, or maybe I'd check the manifest to see if there was an engineer or technician who could help?
Also, I don't like that Chris Pratt made a transphobic 'joke' about the sex scene

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't cyber-stalk someone to learn everything about them, convince myself that I can make them love me, then wake them up, lie about what happened and trick them into sleeping with me, (sex by deception = consent invalid = rape).
So... I dunno, maybe I'd not doom someone else to die before reaching the destination, or maybe I'd check the manifest to see if there was an engineer or technician who could help?
Also, I don't like that Chris Pratt made a transphobic 'joke' about the sex scene

You do realize it was just a movie. :D Kind of pointless to wake up another engineer since he was one and still couldn't fix anything until he got the access fitbit. But its good you know exactly what you wouldn't do.

Saw this movie with family for a second viewing. I'd read the critic's slam of the movie that already had people grabbing pitch forks to boycott the film before ever viewing it because they wouldn't support a film that supports blblblb.... Kind of frustrating as they didn't (won't) see the film (let alone allow it to present itself as a whole) and it's entirely another to hate on the actors/actresses for taking such roles. I didn't think it was a 'deep,' groundbreaking or a box office smash by any means, but visually it was beautiful and there were actually several 'good' messages contained within the film. The more I think on it, the more I actually really liked this movie and last night just hit home for me. Each character is posed with questions of their own life, mortality as well as morality. "Passengers" is more about the journey of our own lives and how as much as we can make plans and have ideas for ourselves, 'Life' happens and we're simply along for the ride. We of course can choose how we react to whatever we're presented with and do have some say in it, but how worrying about things beyond our control that we cannot change is a waste of time and we can choose to make the best of what we DO have. It's not a new concept by any means, but it was a nice reminder for me last night. Were there things I wish had been written differently? Sure, but I'm not against what was presented. I rather liked some of the dilemmas and the fact the 'big choice' is something to be discussed. For those that didn't see it, or won't, it's certainly not 'downplayed'. It's a piece of art or entertainment and it's successful if it gets people talking at the very least, for better or worse...At least it's not a snooze fest, ya know? I don't want to give too much away, but there are choices that BOTH characters make and the resulting consequences. It's funny to me how much anger and hatred there is out in the real world but this 'movie' actually hits on the ugly as well as the beautiful side of humanity that I'd personally like to see more of. Reconciliation, forgiveness, hope even after things have gone total FUBAR...People yell sexism and what not.. See the film, decide for yourself. There IS freedom in choice, and yes, she does have some say in all this. I disagreed with the critic and feel they greatly missed a bit of this film and what it's really about. Remember it's just a movie though ;) Honestly, they're both 'heroes' and both have to work together. He needs her, she needs him, and it's equal. (Technically, they all would've died anyway) Humanity can be ugly, but there are honorable sides to us too, but if it's pitchforks at the slightest things that offend us from here to the end of time, then we haven't really learned anything at all, and will never. It's just a piece of entertainment but I've enjoyed that it's a discussion. I can't actually say I would've or wouldn't have done the same or similar in the same situation. That's the whole point. What would you have done? I'm not a capable mechanic but if I had the option of waking one person up (remember he didn't have access to crew, just other passengers.. So Docs, flight crew etc are out)... Would I have woken up an engineer to try and fix a pod? What if it was a guy? What if JLaw's character had no interest in him sexually? Would people be offended if the sexes had been reversed? Can we honestly say we'd be able to live out 40-60 years of our lives without an ounce of any human interaction or contact? I don't know... It's Scifi and it's fun to ask ourselves these questions knowing these things only played out in cinema ;)

I saw the flick last weekend and thought it was great!

NOW, that said, it's incredibly predictable, and cookie cutter, but I LOVED the look of the ship, the tech, and the characters were likeable (I mean the actors are as well)

Chris Pratt was WAY better in this role than in Jurassic World.

And I think the rape thing is a bit of an over reaction. He didn't just find his pod not working and woke up the first pretty girl he could see to get his rocks off....

He fumbled around "Last Man on Earth" style for over a year, til he was SUICIDAL from loneliness... didn't even attempt to wake up anyone else...

Then he saw her, and slowly talked himself into waking her up.

I'm gonna assume there's a bit of an "Adam and Eve" thing going on here, thematically.

This isn't a guy who woke up a girl cuz he has the space hornys, He was a guy desperate for human interaction.

Also, this is the far future.. people would be healthier and prettier, heh. Let's just assume they're ALL J-Laws in there... I didn't see any XXL tubes.

Good fun movie, with a lame reason for people to get uptight.

ALSO, it's not like when she found out she accepted it. She absolutely lost her crap over it and refused to talk to him, no matter how much he apologized.

I keep hearing "Oh she was fine with what he did cuz he was Chris Pratt".

Uh no.

Anyway, solid 7 out of 10

I liked it but felt cheated. Not a space adventure. A love story/drama in space. Oh, and then the ship has a problem.

It's like a chick flick in space. Well done. Interesting, but...I was fooled by the previews. I liked it, but would not have gone to see it if I knew the truth.

Just reading the previous reviews. All good. Remember, in Intersteller, this was the central part of the movie. The loneliness. The desperation. The rejection of altruistic values.

I actually really liked it, I would go watch again. I really thought the trailer literally showed the entire movie, but I was wrong :)

One thing I don't get though, is why they didn't have kids? Like maybe, I'm sure the girl wrote her story and probably left it available somewhere in the ship, but I wonder why not having kids maybe, so people could hear their story, and I am sure that after knowing what their parents would have done for the ship , they'd be set for life?

I honestly thought they'd end it with a passenger count graphic with a higher number than they started with and lost Sure they probably did. Kids would be adults by that age too.

It was a little too predictable for my liking. It would have been much more interesting if Lawrence's character was the one who woke up first.

Did anyone spot the subtle laws-of-physics dig at Gravity?

It was a little too predictable for my liking. It would have been much more interesting if Lawrence's character was the one who woke up first.

That would have been interesting. Wonder if people would be crying about Jennifer raping Chris then. :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back