Painting technique: Black Undercoat?

tek2graphics

Sr Member
Hello all, I've seen/read about black undercoat (?) to make details look better/pop out... but can someone please explain the process? I'm working on my 1:48 X-Wing and want to do use this technique.

Its pretty simple, you lay a flat black coat on your primer, then, over that, hit it with your basecoat.
The next step, is just a case of rubbing with various abrasives, such as VERY fine wire wool, and on smaller kits, sounds nuts, but a big ball of Blutack, lol, it rubs just enough off the corners of any raised detail, to reveal the black "wear".

lee

Well the best example that comes to mind now is the studio model Tydirium. The white base coat is barely covering the black undercoat, making it look vibrant and used.

when doing this I try to not cover the black with the basecoat totally when painting, and like ralphee said, some carefull rubbing afterwards.

Or, even some deft latex masking, before you apply the basecoat, then rub this off, go light though, apply latex mask with a scalpel tip if need be.
Many ILM props were painted black, before basecoats were applied i believe, X wings, possibly Y wings, im pretty sure even the snowspeeder got the same treatment.
Oh and the Falcon, that too seems to have a black undercoat?

lee

Another similar technique is "pre shading" . At its simplest, after a standard undercoat you choose certain areas or features (eg panel lines, recesses, undercuts etc) and paint those black/dark grey before applying the topcoat.

Best to use an airbrush or , after masking, a spray can for consistency.

You can take the technique as far as you like, using different intensities and colours of preshading undercoat. No rubbing down or rubbing through; a consistent topcoat over the different colours of undercoat gives the effect

I have found that the advantage of the technique is the range of effects (panels, wear, relief, dirt etc) that you can produce and the uniformity of the topcoat gives a pleasingly coherent finish.

Military and aircraft modellers use the technique extensively and a google search will produce lots of info.

Well, in "studio" painting terms, preshading doest really, or normally apply IMO, but yes, on smaller AMT/FM models, this method may work pretty well, ive just never been a big fan of the tech TBH, id rather apply the weathering, topically....i think is the correct term?

lee

Entire model, if you intend to go the "rubbing down" route. Preshading route, just airbrush panel lines, and all recessed areas and greeblie's.

lee

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back